UKC

Recommend a good repairer for crampon rips in over trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lewison 23 Sep 2016
Hi,

I have a few puncture holes, small rips caused by tripping over my crampons a few times. Mountain equipment hard shell overtrousers and Rab neotech trousers. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced repairer as at £30 per patch from RAB i would almost be paying for a new pair of trousers.
Just wanting to get these sorted before this winter as gaffer tape only works for so long !

Cheers
 Dave the Rave 23 Sep 2016
In reply to Mark Of Loxley:

Mr Gaffa
 inboard 23 Sep 2016

Spinnaker repair tape - you'll find some on amazon. Light sticky and strong.
 GrahamD 23 Sep 2016

Duct tape. Just make sure the area to be repaired is clean before applying.
 SenzuBean 23 Sep 2016
> Recommend a good repairer for crampon rips in over trousers

I know a really good guy for the job. His name is Mark. He comes from Loxley.

Anyway as others have said, doing it yourself is the easiest way. I would add that when I repaired my stuff (I've used all 3 types of tape mentioned), I found it would flap at the edges sometimes. I used McNett seam seal to cover over it, and make it a more solid patch (didn't try it with duct tape, but worked with both tenacious tape and spinnaker tape. Be careful though because the solvent can curl the tenacious tape if you're not careful).
Post edited at 14:38
 tjin 23 Sep 2016

I go DIY. I first tried patches, but they do get loose after some use and washing. Best methode seems to be sewn the holes shut and apply seamsealer. The seamsealer waterproofs it and keeps the threads where they are suppose to be.
 johnt 23 Sep 2016

Try a piece of sellotape or masking tape on the inside of the fabric to hold the tear together temporarily and seal it on the outside with McNett Seam Sealer - use only a small amount and reapply before it cures if required. The tape can be removed afterwards - note: Seam Sealer doesn't really stick to sellotape to it is easier to remove than masking tape if any leaks through whilst curing. A cheap repair that will last for years.
 nniff 23 Sep 2016
In reply to johnt:

What he said, with the judicious application of needle and thread first if necessary. On lightweight waterproofs and insulated stuff, tenacious tape last for ages. On waterproofs a patch inside and out works best
 markk 25 Sep 2016
In reply to tjin:
Same as tjin and johnt - needle and thread, or masking tape, followed by a small amount of 'seamgrip'. Does a great job.
Post edited at 07:44
 Phil1919 25 Sep 2016

I have some Montane lightweight waterproof trousers that I use for cycling. They got ripped pretty badly on the chain. I got some stick on stuff from a needlework shop. The repair is absolutely brilliant. I would imagine it doesn't breathe as well, but that isn't a problem down there at the ankle. You can't see the join or the patch without looking very closely. The repair patch was about £3. May not be appropriate I guess.
 rogerwebb 25 Sep 2016
In reply to johnt:

As johnt said.
In addition for larger holes and where the fabric has been abraided put a sticky patch over the top and Seam seal the edge of the patch. Otherwise you will find that as the seam seal doesn't stretch in the same way as the fabric the abraided fabric rips. this is particularly useful at the knees.

Patches are usually black so if your trousers aren't you look like the victim of a mouse attack.

Wipe the top of the seam sealant tube very carefully and store it in a freezer, otherwise it all goes solid and you can't get the lid off anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...