UKC

Back pain from bouldering - time to be concerned?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 28 Sep 2016
More specifically dropping off.

last night I took a slight awkward landing whilst twisted slightly to the left. Was from no great height and I had down climbed to a height well within comfort. Upon landing (both feet) I twisted my back slightly and put my left hand down to check my drop. At this point I felt a slight crunch in the middle of my spine on the left side. Cue a sharp pain and slight windedness (is that even a word?).

I now have a low, but continuous level of pain at the same point which is aggravated by deep exhalation, normal movement and any lying position, some more than others. Having a hard time keeping my shoulders back.

I have had back pain before from climbing that resulted in me being somewhat incapacitated for a day, nearly unable to get out of bed. Roughly in the same part of my back. This was a result of a long traversing session, so I assumed I had either trapped a nerve, or my muscles were not used to climbing in a consistently sideways facing orientation. No impact was involved here. The pain subsided completely after a couple of days.

I know full well that this is not the best place to ask for advice, more looking for reassurance I guess. My brother had degenerative disk disease and dad has a twisted spine. So I am really starting to wonder if 'old age' (late 20's) and genetics are perhaps starting to catch up with me? How common is back pain from bouldering? I'm really hoping these two incidents are somewhat benign and are more the result of tired muscles and one off impact.

Also, I would be curious to know if this could be posture related? Office work I feel has taken its toll here too.
 alx 28 Sep 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

I have had this problem and as a result of working a traverse section on a hard boulder problem. I found it was my general lack of flexibility in my legs and hips, this meant my lower and mid back had to work harder to assume the body positions.

To address the low lying pain, try cat stretch, sitting in a chair facing forwards and gently twisting left to right.

Gently work up doing twists and back bends. Finally if you are feeling better work on addressing tight muscles in your legs, hips and back. Google "becoming a supple leopard" book. Crap name but the contents is phenomenal and is a bit of a go to reference book for avoiding injury and dodging handing over large sums of cash to therapists.

If all else fails go see a qualified medical professional, but be mindful that if you can walk, care for yourself and work, support will be limited.
 nekonainen 28 Sep 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Sounds an awful lot like a sprained rib.

I had one several years ago (also in my late 20's, as it happens). Sounds like perhaps yours is not quite as painful as mine. It was excruciating and stopped me climbing for several weeks, but the pain occurred in very similar ways to what you describe.

I do regret not seeing a physio straight after the injury as the pain came back a few years later and needed quite a bit of work to get rid of (it's completely better now).

OP GarethSL 28 Sep 2016
In reply to nekonainen:

You know, a strained/sprained or even hairline fracture on one of my ribs did cross my mind and I hope is more the case. Perhaps maybe some damaged cartilage or something? As I am still under the impression that a true spine injury would be a lot more debilitating.

The previous incidents pain was excruciating. Especially in the morning when waking up, I had serious concern that I couldn't physically get out of bed, which was fortunately fixed by rolling onto the floor on my knees.
 nekonainen 28 Sep 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Sounds familiar! It was definitely worst in the mornings. I would try to visit a capable physiotherapist or similar soon if it happened to me again.

I actually went to A&E at the time because I heard a snap/ crack sound when I injured it which seemed pretty concerning. The doctor just advised that my spine is intact (which was true and fair enough I suppose) and to take some painkillers.
 Static 30 Sep 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Best see it as basically normal. Most people get similar stuff a few times in a lifetime, boulderers or not. Don't worry too much about posture, degenerative disc disease, twisted spines etc. The key thing is that you've had it before and it settled down completely in a few days. A few days relative rest, then get it moving again, you'll be fine.
In reply to GarethSL:

Get it X -rayed at AE in case you've crunched one side of a vertebra,lie about when u did it. Go and see your GP and wait for an Xray,much longer than the 4hrs in AE.
 The Norris 01 Oct 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

If you are worried, give 111 a call. They can at least give a quick assessment over the phone as to whether its worth getting properly checked out, possibly saving you a journey, or alternatively they'll tell you to pop to a&e or a walk in clinic and you dont have to worry about that feeling that you might be there unnecessarily.
 the power 01 Oct 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

Sounds like a rib joint sprain hurts like hell
Chiropractor or ostiopath (spelling ) if it was me,which it has been loads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...