UKC

ARTICLE: My Pembroke - A Local's Perspective

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 28 Sep 2016
Top roping on Stennis 2008, 5 kbStefan Morris writes about growing up in - and growing out of - Pembroke. 'I wrote this after meeting UKC's Rob Greenwood on Stennis Head. Offhand, he remarked "I didn't realise there was an actual scene down here." This isn't a rundown of the scene, or even a coherent narrative, more of a – 'My Pembroke.''

'Yeah but it's shit in the winter...and there are no jobs.'

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

Fantastic, I didn't realise this article was even in the pipeline until Natalie brought my attention to it!

Really nice to meet you both over the bank holiday weekend, I remember making that comment regarding the Pembroke scene too. Think your response was "we are the scene", which I quite liked. I've always lived by the Ghandi philosophy of "be the scene you want to see in the world". Your scene and my scene sound quite similar, insofar as they both stand for going out and doing it as much as possible (only you're both younger and more talented). I'm envious of your close proximity to Pembroke though...

I was also chuffed to see you'd done Arrettica too (spotted it on the logbooks), Dunc and I did that on our last day and I thought it was one of the most underrated E5s in Pembroke (previously this award had gone to The One Eyed Man). Hannah, the route you recommended, is very firmly 'on the list' now too, although if you found it difficult I suspect I'll be in for a hard time! Then there's Gorak, plus the other 1001 routes I'm yet to do in Pembroke.

Always something to look forward to eh??

Hopefully see you both again soon.
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Great article!! Was good to meet you guys that day at Stennis!

Looks like you got some great routes done! Very jealous of No Man's Zawn shenanigans and White Heat (I racked up for that the day after meeting you but the massive swell was very threatening once we got down there so we bailed).

Hope you both win big on the scratch cards and maybe I'll see you out in Spain over the winter! I'm hoping to get out there for an extended trip to get fit for UK... OK I'll be honest Pembroke... trad

Hopefully see you guys out crushing again soon!

Dunc
 Stefan_Morris 28 Sep 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Glad you like it! yeah this seasons definitely proved the 'just get on with it' thing works pretty well.

We saw yours and Duncans comments on Arrettica, so had to go take a look. The size blew us away on the ab in. I'm sure Edmund was grateful for all the threads you replaced!

I also meant to mention the time a girl mistook me for you in The Heights and started yelling 'rob! rob!'. Bit of a weird one that!
In reply to Stefan_Morris:

You poor, poor bastard. That's the ultimate insult eh Rob
 Greg Lucas 29 Sep 2016

What a lovely article. I met Edmund once, back in 2009, in Becks Bay. I spent whole a summer bouldering there and he was the only other climber I saw. He was still at school I think. It's great to learn he has become so good. Reading this makes me want to race back down there. Keep climbing. Keep writing.
 redjerry 30 Sep 2016

Hi to Ed
get a clue lads!...no reason to spend all winter moping. You're sitting right on top of some of the best surfing in the UK.
 elhix 03 Oct 2016
In reply to redjerry:

Shhh! - if you're talking about S.Pembs last secret spot... If you're on about Manorbier then fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...