UKC

New Bouldering Mat query

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robw007 03 Oct 2016
Im looking to renew my bouldering mat - unfortunately its been about 10 years since the last one so Im well out of touch! Any advice?

(Im about 80kgs, boulder in the Peak at least twice a week if I can and fall off a lot)
OP robw007 05 Oct 2016
In reply to robw007:

Hi Guys - any advice? Do I go for a folding mat or not - what are the best deals out there?
 JIMBO 05 Oct 2016
In reply to robw007:

Folding mat... Moon pads I think are great.

Or cheaper you can re-foam your pad. I used to leave some of the older closed cell layer in, which helped firm things up and felt better than new. Ask the distributer or manufacturer about replacement foam.
 Lemony 05 Oct 2016
In reply to robw007:

The Ocun Paddy Dominator's the best pad I've used. For me it feels much better to land on than the Moon's and DMM's and so on and it can be had cheaper than them from european stores.
 cwarby 06 Oct 2016
In reply to robw007:

Depending on what size, a decent small mat is the Metolius session. It folds, but hinge is offset. Means you can store folded, unlike a taco.
Chris
 iamniccage 06 Oct 2016
In reply to robw007:

I have a few pads now. and have to say the Organic pad i got was definitely the best one (over metolius, BD and Moon that i have).

the BD and moon found foam to be substandard in comparison.

Probably going to more expensive but worth it. I ordered direct form Organic and can pick colours etc. just have to pay customs when it arrives so when i got it prob cost about £165 including that. if you get the simple pad then organic do an attachment that straps to it so you can stack and hold 2 mats.

Ian65 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Lemony:

I second the vote for the Ocun mat. I have a Dominator and Highball (DMM), the Ocun is definitely my number one mat.

I find taco mats a right pain to store, transport and 'flatten' to use, normal fold is no problem in my view.
OP robw007 17 Oct 2016
In reply to robw007:

Thanks Guys - will take a look at the Dominator. R
 ianstevens 17 Oct 2016
In reply to Lemony:

> The Ocun Paddy Dominator's the best pad I've used. For me it feels much better to land on than the Moon's and DMM's and so on and it can be had cheaper than them from european stores.

Funny that, because Ocun actually make DMM pads (although there is no DMM equivalent to the Dominator).
In reply to robw007:

+1 for the Dominator. I got one cheap through a friend but I really rate it, its pretty big and very thick but also way lighter than other pads like the Organic or Snap ones. I was worried about the zip but it seems to be doing OK. Though I haven't used it as much as I'd like owing to last winter's dismal weather! I really like the ability to turn it into a traverse pad as well. Though it would be even better if you could completely unzip the two sides. Only other negative is the bottom is quite slippy so if on a slopey wet grass landing or on top of other pads be careful!

A great pad - soft but good for taking big falls onto.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...