UKC

Recommend a fast half marathon - midlands / northern England.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Todd 04 Oct 2016
Looking for advice from the ever-helpful UKC runners!

Ran my first half marathon last year (Sheffield) and have run three more this year (Sheff, Leeds, Nottingham) - all going OK so far. Obviously the Sheff and Leeds HMs are pretty hilly, Nottingham was much flatter and (a bit) faster. I'm still hoping to knock a couple of mins off my PB and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a flat, fast HM somewhere within a couple of hours of Sheff (where I live).

Any time between now and Xmas(ish) - except 27-30th Oct (family hols).

I had been looking at the Morpeth HM (which looked like it could be fast) but it's on 30th Oct so can't make it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

csambrook 04 Oct 2016
You won't get flatter than the Autumn Shakespeare on 12th Nov:
http://www.raceways.eu/site/events/running-events/the-shakespeare-autumn

My Strava log from the full marathon says 0m elevation gain so I guess the half marathon is about half that It's on an old airfield and includes a fair number of dead turns and is quite exposed but it's very fast, if a little boring. Highly recommended.
 The New NickB 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:
The traditional answer to this question is Wilmslow, but that is in the spring.

The Manchester Marathon people have launched a half, which should be fast. 16th October, looks like you can still enter.
Post edited at 22:36
 tebs 04 Oct 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Clowne 1/2?
 alicia 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:

I was looking at the same thing recently and found a half in Tatton Park (near Altrincham) on 20th November. It describes itself as flat and fast, with closed roads. It does however appear to be the inaugural year for it, so could be a bit of a gamble...

https://www.runtatton.com/?event=half-marathon-tatton-park

OP Dave Todd 04 Oct 2016
In reply to csambrook:

Wow...that looks barking mad, but strangely appealing!
OP Dave Todd 04 Oct 2016

Thanks, Wilmslow looks like a good one for my diary next year. 16th Oct in Manchester is probably a little too soon after the efforts of Nottingham!
OP Dave Todd 04 Oct 2016
In reply to tebs:

> Clowne 1/2?

Thanks, but looks pretty hilly. I ran the Chesterfield Marathon a couple of years ago (my first and only marathon) and was a bit shocked by the hills! Happy to be told that I'm missing something though...
OP Dave Todd 04 Oct 2016
In reply to alicia:

Thanks, I've had a look around the web site, a bit sparse on course details! Have you entered?
 ianstevens 04 Oct 2016

> The Manchester Marathon people have launched a half, which should be fast. 16th October, looks like you can still enter.

Is that because it's 400m short?
 alicia 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:
Not yet but I'm leaning towards it. The other option is travelling a bit further and doing the Windsor & Eton one, which seems like a safer bet as far as the course goes.

http://www.active.com/windsor-berkshire/running/distance-running-races/the-...

And thanks, btw, I put the Morpeth one on my list of possibles as well! I hadn't heard of that one until I saw your post.
Post edited at 23:17
 The New NickB 04 Oct 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Hopefully they won't make the same mistake twice. You know about 30 different daces lost their certification as a consequence of that.

People are starting to ask questions about last weekends Great Scottish Run, not just because of Callum Hawkins fantastic run.
In reply to tebs:

> Clowne 1/2?

This is quite hilly.
 ianstevens 05 Oct 2016

I'm sure they'll be far more careful about it now. It was only making a throwaway joke!
 The New NickB 05 Oct 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> I'm sure they'll be far more careful about it now. It was only making a throwaway joke!

I know Unfortuneately I lost my marathon and 10k personal bests as a result of that measuring scandal, I think my half marathon was in doubt for a while. It does make you question the measurement generally, which I have always considered above reproach for certified courses in the past.
 andy 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:
The Brass Monkey in January is dead quick - pan flat (apart from a railway bridge).

http://www.yorkknavesmireharriers.co.uk/brass-monkey/
 robert-hutton 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:

Remember that a flat race doesn't always mean a fast time, I would look for one that attracts club runners that will pull you through to a fast time.
Plus an interesting course will refocus your mind.
 ianstevens 05 Oct 2016

Indeed - and it must be gutting to "lose" the effort and hard work put in for 99.9% of the full distance as a result of someone's cock up.
OP Dave Todd 05 Oct 2016
In reply to robert-hutton:

Certainly agree about the 'other runners' bit - I tend to be overtaken a bit over the first mile or so, then sit at a level, then spend the final 5 miles just overtaking those in front of me. Nice to have a target to chase!

Also agree with the 'interesting course', but I'd probably be willing to sacrifice some scenery for a couple of mins off a PB!

Appreciate all the thoughts so far - keep 'em coming!
OP Dave Todd 05 Oct 2016
In reply to andy:

I've heard about this one, sounds promising. Someone told me that it's hard to get in to. Do you know if it's simply 'first come, first served' for entry?
 steveriley 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:

Brass Monkey will be just a case of being quick off the mark. Entries just opened on our Four Villages Half (same day) which is a lovely course. Bit more of a trek from Sheff? Dec/Jan usually a bit quiet for road. Wrexham (Feb) is flatter, smaller but a bit of a dull course. As above, the 4VHM has around 500' climbing but loads of people have a PB from it. I'm biased tho
 raincloud 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:

Worksop half marathon at the end of October?
OP Dave Todd 05 Oct 2016
In reply to raincloud:

Sadly I can't do 30th Oct (away on family hols - half term!), but it looks like a fun, local HM.
 andy 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:
Pretty sure it is first come - it fills in a day or two but if you get on the site the day it opens you should be ok.
 Alex@home 05 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:

Tissington Trail should be pretty fast - it drops about 600ft along the route. It's this weekend and sold out ages ago but worth looking at for next year.
OP Dave Todd 05 Oct 2016
In reply to all:

Thanks very much for all the input to this thread - it has opened my eyes to a thriving HM (and general running) scene!

Gut feeling says apply for Brass Monkey, look at Wilmslow for next year (and Tissington Trail maybe?) and if I haven't made the PB that I'm looking for then maybe the Spring Shakespeare.

Thanks All.
 goldmember 08 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:

Love the topic, any marathons in the north west(ish) before the end of the year?
OP Dave Todd 22 Oct 2016
In reply to all:

Bit of an update...

Tried to get a place in the Brass Monkey HM (entries opened 06:00 22/10/16) but it was sold out by around 6:01(ish)...so I missed out. I had heard that it was hard to get an entry, but I didn't realise just how popular it was!

To console myself I've entered (successfully!) the Wilmslow HM in Mar '17 and also the Leeds Abbey Dash 10k on 6th Nov. Never done a 10k before (advice welcomely received!) - treating it as a bit of 'speed training' for the HM.

Current plan for HM is to train a mix of; intervals (up to about 1km), hill reps (short! <2mins) plus the usual mix of runs between 4 and 11 miles over the next few months. Aiming to knock around 2m30s off my HM time. Fingers crossed...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...