UKC

REVIEW: Exped Scout Hammock Combi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 10 Oct 2016
Exped hammock montage, 4 kbRichard Prideaux doesn't really do hammocks, but he's pleasantly surprised by this hammock, mozzie net and tarp combo from Exped. The big drawback for hill use? Trees not included.

Read more
 simes303 10 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

225 quid? Really?
I got a superb and really light parachute silk hammock from ebay for £11. A decent tarp and a mosquito net won't cost too much. You could make your own for £40 or less.
 neuromancer 10 Oct 2016
1.47 kg!?

Even a double jungle Hennessey isn't that much.

Also any hammock that isn't asymmetric is a waste of money.
 Marco Plebani 11 Oct 2016
I have the UL version (990 g instead of 1740) and I used it quite extensively in the jungles of Borneo. I am generally very happy with it, but:
- I never used the little mesh pockets for storing the tarp cords, that I would just wrap aroundf the packed tarp (it's much faster, they keep the tarp tightly packed and they don't get tangled).
- the double adjustments for the guylines are an annoying overkill. I kept the ones attached to the tarp and I got rid of the ones at the end of the guylines, that would just get tangled all the time.
- the mosquito net usually lies a bit too low even when tensed.

The latter is really the only issue with the hammock, but quite a minor one. Besides the price, obviously!
I can't speak about durability yet. The UL version is made of thin fabric that looks more fragile than it is. My hammock survived on-and-off use during three months of bushwacking in Borneo and it shows no sign of wearing.
Post edited at 13:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...