UKC

Sad day for Shooglenifty fans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
...with the death of fiddle player Angus Grant. Not having the chance to see them live goes down as one of life's missed chances.

'Acid croft', indeed. Anyone else a fan?

T.
 Pids 10 Oct 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Saw them a few times live, but not in the last 10 years or so - always a wild night at their concerts.

Doug 10 Oct 2016

Saw them several times in various village halls, a great live band, never quite captured on the CDs I heard (& bought).

RIP Angus
Removed User 10 Oct 2016
No! The really hairy dude?

Just checked, it is he.

He was always at the informal folk jam sessions in the Shore Bar in Leith on Tuesday nights through the late 90s and indeed the 00s. And he was awesome, as are Shooglenifty.

RIP.
Post edited at 18:57
 toad 10 Oct 2016

I saw them a couple of times at festivals and they were good. Then I saw them in a much smaller venue and was blown away. Only 49. sheesh
 Dauphin 10 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

Only 49! The guy definitely had a good full life, saw them at Orkney Folk Festival in 2014 after the best part of twenty years and I would of put him in his early sixties. Saw them early nineties at Cambridge folk festival and they blew the place apart. My favourite live band. Truly something else live. Much preferred his earlier efforts with Swamp Trash as far as the recorded thing went. They could do with remastering and remixing the back catalogue. Does remind me of a glorious decadent summer with a beautiful French woman around 95 or 96.

Rest in peace Angus. Your fiddle playing opened up the cosmos back there.

D
 Jim 1003 10 Oct 2016
In reply to Dauphin:
Does remind me of a glorious decadent summer with a beautiful French woman around 95 or 96.
^ Seems bit on the old side to me.
 Deri Jones 10 Oct 2016

Gutted, saw them a couple of years ago in Aberystwyth and a great reminder of good times in La Belle Angel back in the 90's, bopping away like a loon in that sweaty concrete dungeon, or walking (staggering!) back through Edinburgh under a blue paper mache octopus that was acquired at the end of one of their gigs.
Great music, soundtrack to a load of good climbing trips, thanks for the tunes Angus.
 Dauphin 11 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

GGILF's need loving too mate. Age is just a number.

D
 pneame 11 Oct 2016

UKC has introduced me to a good number of books and musicians - it's a shame to discover them after a tragedy!

I've just perused their work on that shopping site - and loaded up my cart. Some great stuff.
Angus Grant must have been the quintessential fiddle player. Amazing stuff.

Sad news
 Tim Sparrow 12 Oct 2016

Big fan. Very sad. First saw them in a barn near Presteigne , no stage, the audience stood beer in hand metres away from the band. Blew me away and Angus was the star.
Saw them several more times and was gutted when they pulled out of Shrewsbury Folk festival this year. Now I know why.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...