UKC

Wilton 1 for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 13 Oct 2016
Heading to Wilton area this weekend with the kids (3 and 5 year olds). Would be great to get them outside again before it gets too cold, are there kid friendly routes at Wilton? Easy slabs with easy to set up belays would be first choice, but anything not too steep with lots of holds could also work.

Any suggestions for better options in the area?
 plyometrics 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Sam W:

I would have thought W1 would be a great way to put them off at that age. W3 could be better, but there aren't any easy slabs there.

Have you thought about the pond area at Brownstones as an alternative?
 toad 13 Oct 2016
In reply to plyometrics:
Wilton one scared me witless as a 17 yr old. Got stupidly run out and scared on that silly easy mod up the prow! Another vote for brownstones

OP Sam W 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Sam W:

Thank you, haven't climbed in the area at all before, Brownstones sounds like a good bet, we'll head there as long as the weather is ok.
 Ann S 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Sam W:

Another alternative might be Cadshaw (outcrop not the quarry) around the left side as you look at the crag. On the walk in to Cadshaw you could look out for a small subsidiary quarry on the left of the main path which is low level and might offer a bit of a playground, though I haven't been in there for yonks.

sbc23 13 Oct 2016
In reply to Sam W:

There are some easy (diff) slabs in wilton 4, but maybe not easy enough for 3&5.

quirky 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Sam W:

As Ann S said, Cadshaw is great for kids, nice easy slab on the right hand side, the quarry on the way in is fun and the kids get to paddle in the river and play amongst the trees (it does distract my two somewhat from actually climbing). Brownstones is also good up the top on the slab area, Wilton 1 however.....not such a good idea, I cant think of anything they could climb and even managing a couple of live wire small people in there can be an epic (I can only speak of my own experiences).
 plyometrics 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Ann S:
Cadshaw is a great shout. The kids can then be taken to the world's best ice cream shop (Holden's) in nearby Edgworth afterwards.
Post edited at 08:50
 Ann S 14 Oct 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

I haven't been to Holdens but that reminds me about the excellent farm tea shop which sells ice cream just up the road from Brownstones.

plyometrics 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Ann S:

All I can say is: "Get yourself to holdens!!!"

Ann S 14 Oct 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

Will do - cheers.
 birbeck 14 Oct 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

Pond area base is underwater at the moment, or at least certainly was on Sunday.

> I would have thought W1 would be a great way to put them off at that age. W3 could be better, but there aren't any easy slabs there.

> Have you thought about the pond area at Brownstones as an alternative?

SChriscoli 14 Oct 2016
In reply to Sam W:

+1 for cadshaw. Bit polished mind..but simple enough and the descent is a cobbled path. Doesnt get much better than that.

Great afternoon crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...