UKC

EBay - Second Chance Offer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 16 Oct 2016

A couple of weeks ago I put an item on eBay. For various reasons I made a second chance offer to somebody who had bid £120. He has replied to my second chance offer saying that he will give me £90 for the items.

Is he just being cheeky?

Do I tell him that if he was originally prepared to pay £120 then that is the price I expect now?
Post edited at 11:13
 Rick Graham 16 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Ah, the art of negotiation

Two options,

we all have a sweepstake on how much you get for the item off him.

or tough it out and say if you don't get £120 off him within 7 days it gets relisted. HTH
 Oceanrower 16 Oct 2016

As above, entirely up to you.

Maybe he's trying it on.
Maybe he doesn't really want the item and he's hoping you'll go away. (buyers remorse)
Maybe, as it was a few weeks ago, he's already bought a similar item so doesn't have the need anymore.

Who knows. How much do you need (a) the ninety quid or (b) the item gone.
 Dax H 16 Oct 2016
He might have been willing to pay £120 but at what point did the other person start bidding?
If the other person started at £90 and took it to £120 but never paid up hence the second chance offer he might be thinking it was just shill bidding trying to drive the price up.
Alternatively he is trying it on but there is zero obligation with a second chance so he is well within his rights to counter offer.
Message him saying £120 or nothing with a 48 hour deadline then relist.

Or if your happy with £90 take the money and run. Did you ha e a reserve and is the £90 above it?
Post edited at 11:30
OP FesteringSore 16 Oct 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

Told him to match his original bid or forget it. I'm not desperate to sell but feel that the lower price is a bit of a piss take.
 stevieb 16 Oct 2016

Like dax says, Second chance offers often raise suspicion of shill bidding. I've just been offered a second chance offer on a watch. It was offered quite quickly and I'm suspicious of being taken for a ride so haven't accepted.
Not a hard rule, but as a buyer I'm very suspicious of second chance offers and would take time to consider.

As a seller, the few times I've done this, I usually "explain" why it's a second chance offer - buyer ignored paying, wanted to withdraw and I accepted, etc,. It's all about trust both ways I personally think. I've have sometimes just relisted as this was the easiest and quickest. That also tests out if in your case £120 is the price or £90 is more realistic. Many buyers get carried away in the final stages of an auction, and this may apply to the second chance person who now feels to them £90 is the right price.

Edit: if you feel it's a p... take, if it were me I would just go straight to relist. Not worth the hassle of any communication other than curtesy reply saying thanks, but sorry £90 is too low, I'm going to relist.
Post edited at 12:13
 timjones 16 Oct 2016

> A couple of weeks ago I put an item on eBay. For various reasons I made a second chance offer to somebody who had bid £120. He has replied to my second chance offer saying that he will give me £90 for the items.

> Is he just being cheeky?

> Do I tell him that if he was originally prepared to pay £120 then that is the price I expect now?

Did you have 2 of the same item and the offer is for the second one or did the sale fall through?#

If the buyer has good reason to believe that the person who elevated the bidding to £120 has backed out then it is probably fair to make a lower offer. Auctions only work well for the vendor when there are at least 2 willing and reliable buyers,
 wbo 16 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore: you can expect nothing. Maybe he thinks £90 is the price thats fair to pay, and lets be honest, he isn't a charity nor owe you anything

wercat 16 Oct 2016

My own perspective as buyer (I have been regularly buying on Ebay for quite a number of years now).

I have accepted second chance offers generally as I'm very careful to work out what the item is worth to me before bidding. So when I get a 2CO I feel obliged not to haggle over it as it has been made fairly on the basis that I have stated what I am prepared to pay.

So this guy is being cheeky indeed and you are quite justified in telling him politely that if his original bid had been so low he wouldn't have got the 2CO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...