UKC

Done Crib Goch, and Tryfan - where to go in Lake District?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 17 Oct 2016
Hello!

In the last months I've done the Snowdon Horseshoe twice and Tryfan once, camped at Gwern Gof Uchaf.

This weekend was thinking of doing similar in the Lake District weather permitting, could anyone recommend me a similar or good loop route with or without scrambling ideally with a very near by camp site that is very cheap and basic (showers but not much else!). Looking for one long big day walk and one shorter one as will be staying for two nights.

Thanks for any suggestions!
 Jack Whiteley 17 Oct 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

From Glenridding the classic short loop of Striding Edge and Swirral Edge is good.

Better is up Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday crag then down Striding edge (starting from the same place) but this is a more difficult scramble, although the difficulties are avoidable. (if you want beta, http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56798, the 8th picture is the crux ~ mod chimney/corner, very avoidable if you pass to the left looking in)
 SouthernSteve 17 Oct 2016

Camp in Great Langdale and then go up the Band onto BowFell along to Esk Pike, descend to Esk Hause and then come back via Rossett Pike, Stake Pass and High Raise and all of the Langdale Pikes. Not a scramble, but good intro to the Lakes. You can extend this by going up Crinkle Crags at the start. Its a good fell-running route if thats of interest now that you can get across Stake Pass without being 2ft in mud.

Lingmoor Fell and Pike of Blisco or similar for the shorter day, although if you are car based I would tempted to do Consiton Old Man and Wetherlam for the second day.

The NT campsite at the end of the valley is not cheap! and you might want to use the one at Chapel Stile.

Have fun. Steve
 Mark Kemball 17 Oct 2016

Blencathra via sharp edge and down via hall's fell (or vica versa) - about the same standard as snowdon horseshoe. Pinnacle ridge is quite abit of a step up.
 John Kelly 17 Oct 2016
Langdale

Jack's Rake (Grade-1)
South Central Buttress (Grade-3)
The Groove (Grade-3)
Mill Gill (Grade-1)

Harrison stickle is serious, rope might be good, Groove is similar
Mill ghyll (stickle ghyll) and Jake's rake are easier but still need great care

Langdale campsite low season
one person one car and tent £8.50 per night
Arrive on foot or by public transport £3.50 per night
Post edited at 19:17
 Phil1919 17 Oct 2016

Coniston is nice. Cheap campsite, nice village and the circuit including Old man, Swirl How is mountainous.
 Phil Tucker 18 Oct 2016

How about this http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=98

I did it by myself quite a few years ago and enjoyed it. However memory not good enough to compare the difficulties to crib Goch etc
 Tom the tall 18 Oct 2016

Camp in borrowdale, e.g. at Chapel house farm, then one day Scafell Pike via corridor route and back via esk hause, the other day something in Langstrath- Cam Crag Ridge if you are a confident scrambler (see here: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=3732) , then over the top back to Borrowdale.
 Ramblin dave 18 Oct 2016
In reply to Tom the tall:

Assuming you're heading back to somewhere other than West Cumbria, Blencathra's conveniently on the way home from Borrowdale (and more or less on the way home from Glenridding, come to that) and can be done as a short day either via Sharp Edge or Halls Fell. Be aware that Sharp Edge can be nasty if it's wet, though.
 UKC Forums 18 Oct 2016
This thread was started in the DESTINATIONS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> Blencathra via sharp edge and down via hall's fell (or vica versa) - about the same standard as snowdon horseshoe.

A very nice walk but definitely one that would have to be treated as a shorter outing. Easily do-able in 3-4 hours car to car.
In reply to Phil Tucker:

> I did it by myself quite a few years ago and enjoyed it. However memory not good enough to compare the difficulties to crib Goch etc

A superb outing but significantly more technical and more exposed in places than Crib Goch.
OP elliot.baker 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Thanks, yes I had seen this already but I'm slightly put off by the idea of trying Grade II scrambling, perhaps with a few more grade I scrambles under my belt I might give this a go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...