UKC

PUPs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 18 Oct 2016
As in Potentially Unwanted Programs. Do they slow a computer down? I've also noticed that when scrolling some web pages jerk and jump.
 Scarab9 18 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

that's probably more to do with the page optimization. PArticularly bad on the plethora of clickbait sites, but getting worse on more serious sites including news sites.
cap'nChino 18 Oct 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

> that's probably more to do with the page optimization. PArticularly bad on the plethora of clickbait sites, but getting worse on more serious sites including news sites.

Dailymash is becoming almost unusable because of a similar issue.
 wbo 18 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore: What sort machine - newspaper sites that are perfectly fine on Win10 are slow, crashy horrorshows on my ipad, and it is increasingly annoying

OP FesteringSore 18 Oct 2016
In reply to wbo:

I'm on Windows 8.1
 Scarab9 18 Oct 2016
In reply to cap'nChino:

> Dailymash is becoming almost unusable because of a similar issue.

no the mash is great. loads the article THEN loads the ads and also the "you've reached your limit" screen that stops you reading it. Let the article text load then hit the 'stop' (big red x) button in your navigation bar and you can read as much as you like without subscribing

Can anything be done to alleviate/eliminate it?
I'm getting it on UKC
Post edited at 15:14
cap'nChino 18 Oct 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

> no the mash is great. loads the article THEN loads the ads and also the "you've reached your limit" screen that stops you reading it. Let the article text load then hit the 'stop' (big red x) button in your navigation bar and you can read as much as you like without subscribing

Not sure if youre being sarcastic there or not? Sounds like a lot of effort just to read a simple satirical atricle. UKC has loads of ads and they don't affect the loading of the screens.

> Can anything be done to alleviate/eliminate it?

> I'm getting it on UKC

Bump
 Scarab9 18 Oct 2016
In reply to cap'nChino:

> Not sure if youre being sarcastic there or not? Sounds like a lot of effort just to read a simple satirical atricle. UKC has loads of ads and they don't affect the loading of the screens.

that split second it takes to press the cross really takes it out of me! (now I'm being sarcastic)

If you read quiet a lot you get a pop up that blocks you from reading any more articles unless you subscribe. I think it might only be on the desktop site.

Scarab9 18 Oct 2016

> Can anything be done to alleviate/eliminate it?

> I'm getting it on UKC

that's bit odd, UKC is a pretty simple site so tends to load almost instantly.

What browser and version are you using?
What security or ad related software are you using? (purposefully)
What's your download speed like? (www.speedtest.net)
 Brass Nipples 18 Oct 2016

Yes, you can block all those adverts if you want. I have my router set to block them.

In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Yes, you can block all those adverts if you want. I have my router set to block them.

I use a blocker which UKC won't let me mention. More concerned about the jumpy/jerky scrolling.
 Brass Nipples 18 Oct 2016
Oh no this isn't a blocker program. I block the domains the ads are served from. Google Adwords being one of the worst. So the ad code and content doesn't even reach any of my devices.
Post edited at 17:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...