UKC

South west winter climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Vunty 18 Oct 2016
Got really into climbing outdoors in the south west this summer. Any advice on climbing during winter months?
 Mark Kemball 18 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty:

It's possible to climb outside all year round in the south west (and a lot of the rest of the UK), you just need to watch for the right weather forcast. I have climbed in a tee shirt in January in the sunshine on south facing crags when there's a bitter northerly wind on the cliff top.
 Jon Stewart 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty:

Bouldering.

And if you think it's crap, you're wrong!
 Cheese Monkey 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty:

Don't bother when it's raining. Pick sunny sheltered crags
 Casa Alfredino 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty: Just carry on? Where in the southwest are you?

CurlyStevo 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty:

most the sea cliffs that face south in SW Britain can be a good option. Swanage can feel warm at any time of year as long as you are out of the wind and the sun is out (for example)
 Rob Exile Ward 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It's crap.
 GrahamD 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty:

You don't say where you are in the SW but in general that will be as good an area as anywhere in the UK for climbing over winter. As others have said, read the crag notes carefully and watch the weather forecast, especially wind direction. Wrap up warm and get out there !
 Rob Exile Ward 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty:

And this is more of a 'do what I say, not what I do' comment: I seem to recall it was quite surprising that when I went out in cold weather, once I warmed up it was OK, especially leading - I think it must have been something to do with the adrenalin - even if there was snow on the ground.
 CurlyStevo 19 Oct 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

The sun can count for a lot if there is no wind especially if it is bouncing off the sea and light coloured rock on to you. Swanage feels too hot above about 18 deg even in shorts and t shirt in these conditions.
In reply to Vunty:

Salute to the Admiral near Cornakey on Culm coast, Moonstone Dartmoor, White Lady Waterfall Lydford Gorge, ridges below Castle Drogo, Canonteign Waterfall to name but a few. About once every ten years
David Hillebrandt
 d_b 20 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:

How many times a decade does that come in?
 d_b 20 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty:

If you can stretch to Gower then there are some options there. Box Bay near Porthcawl can be a real sun trap.
 Casa Alfredino 20 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Not that often and when it is accessing it is actually quite tricky... tried to do a mixed route up one of the scrappy slabs at the end of the quarry. Ended up with me clipped to a bulldog 30 metres up and nowhere to go
 springfall2008 20 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty:

> Got really into climbing outdoors in the south west this summer. Any advice on climbing during winter months?

Try to start around lunch time, there's too much morning dew to make it worthwhile getting to the crag early.

I found Cheddar Gorge North East Island, Wintours leap North Wall and Wyndcliff Quarry all good for a sunny day in the winter.
 deepstar 21 Oct 2016
 leland stamper 21 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:

I'll keep me axes sharp, as they say
 Sean Kelly 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Vunty:

'Waiting until hell freezes over' comes to mind as regards Ice-climbing in the SW, but as for rock-climbing, Torbay is sheltered to all but 'Easterlies' and gets the sun until the Early afternoon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...