UKC

NEWSFLASH: British First Ascents in South Georgia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 Oct 2016
Starbuck Peak, 3 kbStephen Venables, Simon Richardson, Skip Novak, Crag Jones, Henry Chaplin and David Lund are currently returning home from a highly successful expedition to the Sub-Antarctic island of South Georgia.

The team climbed eight mountains including two of the greatest prizes on the island - first ascents of the spectacular Starbuck Peak (1434m) and the remote and difficult Mount Baume (1912m), one of the highest unclimbed summits.

Read more
 RyanOsborne 20 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Wicked, that boat, Pelagic, is a beast!

youtube.com/watch?v=L23OJOrOez4&

BnB 20 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Is it just me or does that peak look about 20m high to anyone else?
 Michael Gordon 20 Oct 2016
In reply to BnB:

It does bear a (very) slight resemblance to the Great Tower or Sgurr Mhic Choinnich (with Eastern Traverse or Collie's Ledge visible)
In reply to BnB:
Yeah, several folk have asked about the scale - about 400m from the 'schrund and 17 hours up and down. The riming is so massive it's a little deceptive.
Post edited at 18:21
 pneame 20 Oct 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

That is absolutely immaculate. Love the thoughtful design. He's got a few other vids which are well worth watching:
youtube.com/watch?v=YJV09u0GFYM&

and this series:
youtube.com/watch?v=YSexcg7f4vU&

Fascinating website
http://www.pelagic.co.uk/over_style.asp

Wee Davie 20 Oct 2016
In reply to Simon Richardson:

Brilliant effort. Especially in such a remote place.
 bensilvestre 20 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Sounds a great trip, well done guys!
 Red Rover 20 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC News:

That peak looks very scottish
 RyanOsborne 21 Oct 2016
In reply to pneame:

> That is absolutely immaculate. Love the thoughtful design. He's got a few other vids which are well worth watching:

> and this series:

> Fascinating website

Yeah, if I had shed loads of money, I'd definitely look at doing a trip with them. And if I had even more money I'd probably commission a custom made aluminium hull expedition yacht

Bulls Crack 21 Oct 2016
 Dave 21 Oct 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Yeah, if I had shed loads of money, I'd definitely look at doing a trip with them. And if I had even more money I'd probably commission a custom made aluminium hull expedition yacht

I had the pleasure of a tour round Pelagic Australis a few years back in Ushuaia, it is rather a beast, the skipper of the original Pelagic wasn't so keen on having us on board though. You don't need a custom build, a Boreal 44, or one of their larger yachts, will get you a long way. Personally I'm very keen on a custom Bestevaer... lapses into daydream mode...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...