UKC

How far? 10 month old pup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 21 Oct 2016
Hi. Kelp was 10 months old on 14 Oct.

She's a border collie.

How far should she be able / safe for her to walk in the hills? Would 3 hours be too much? She has done 2 hours one evening, camp then 2 more the next morning.
 mav 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Seems too far too me. the kennel club can be a bit dogmatic (pun!) but they are probably right on this point - 5 minutes per month, twice a day. Dog's aren't likely to be fully grown til 18 months old, and as you obviously know, over-exercising is bad for them.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/getting-a-dog-or-puppy/general-advice-about...

Been there, though, and feel for you. A young boisterous dog, all it wants to do is run and you have to put the brakes on!
ceri 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
Probably a terrible owner but at that age I was walking my dogs for that long on occasions. I'm sure a one off 3 hour walk isn't going to do a 10 month border collie any harm.
Although over doing it in a growing dog may be a problem, I think there's very little evidence to support what is the "right" amount of exercise.
Post edited at 17:48
 arch 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

A lot of the lads I know run their Lurchers at 12 months. Not the same breed I know, but some have lots of Collie in them.

My daughter's 3/4 Collie Lurcher came out with us from 10 months old. 1-2 hrs of mouching about. He's 2 now and you can't give him enough exercise, well I can't anyway. He'll run all day.
Annelyse 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Hi there,

Kelp is probably able to do much more than 3h of hill walking in a day, however I doubt it will be safe for her to do so.
Too much exercice on growing dog can alter they development, especially bone growth and joints. Walking itself isn't so bad but pups are pups and it's all the running and jumping that is especially strenuous on the joints.
As mentioned earlier, she'll be fully grown at 18 month old, before that I would advise to walk her a little and often : something like 30min walk 3-4 times a day should be OK, and still avoid making her jump over fences or wall.
A good way to use her energy is by doing some training, and teaching her tricks. Collies are really good at that and you should have good fun teaching her.
Take it from the vet
OP Flinticus 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Annelyse:
and the rest.

She gets about 2 hrs 15 mins every day over 3 walks. Anything less leaves her pacing in the evening. Training normally takes place when out.

Personally I don't buy the 5mins thing. Too standardised with no breed or build allowance. She comes from a long line of working stock and trial dogs. Same rule for a collie as a shih tzu? I think I'll keep in down to 2 hours however, to be safe. It won't be a fast walk either, more a leisurely stroll.
Post edited at 19:47
 Dave the Rave 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> Hi. Kelp was 10 months old on 14 Oct.

> She's a border collie.

> How far should she be able / safe for her to walk in the hills? Would 3 hours be too much? She has done 2 hours one evening, camp then 2 more the next morning.
That sounds reasonable to me. My collie is coming up to eight months an she has been doing up until 7 months 45 mins twice a day country walks avoiding steep steps. This last month I've been taking her up Moel Famau 3 X a week for an hour walk. Next month I will add in an extra half hour to the Famau walks with the aim of Skiddaw in February and possibly a half round of Coledale.
She sleeps properly after a decent walk.
A friend is taking her 6 month lab on 10 mile walks and it can barely stand at the end.
 USBRIT 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
Well I have always had and have Jack Russell's .. Long leg type ... Maybe not as wimpy as a collie but I certainly would not worry at all about a few hours. ... Dogs are not thick ... they will slow down when they get too tired ... My Russels did 20 peaks over 14,000' in the Colorado Rockies and during their "walks" found time to run full pelt up hill chasing Marmots @ 11month s old. ... now @14 years still going strong.
> Hi. Kelp was 10 months old on 14 Oct.

> She's a border collie.

> How far should she be able / safe for her to walk in the hills? Would 3 hours be too much? She has done 2 hours one evening, camp then 2 more the next morning.
Post edited at 23:27
 Nbrain 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

We've got a 10month old Pointer and having the same debate! Dog is more than happy doing a couple of hours walk but I'm not sure if it will have any long term effects. I'm sure if she was left to her own devices would be running around in the hills all day so I don't know if we just worry unduly!

Neil
 Toccata 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

There is almost no evidence to make recommendations for restricted exercise in young dogs. If she has underlying joint disease (hip or elbow dysplasia for example) then in theory exercise will exacerbate it. However what effect an occasional longer walk will have is not known. At 10 months all her major growth plates are closed and thus her growth will not be affected. Kennel Club advice is not based on sound science. However if you have suspicion of intermittent lameness in any leg then you should be cautious.
 SouthernSteve 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Toccata:

> At 10 months all her major growth plates are closed and thus her growth will not be affected.

The proximal femur and distal radius are sometimes not closed by 10 months and 18 months is often quoted for the giant breeds. Growth plate closure is a very variable thing.

The exercise history is quite likely to be a major component in this dog's ability to cope, a couple of walks of 2 hours hardly counts as a gradual and sustained build-up! With frequent moderate exercise bones and cartilage do increase in strength, but there are very few data and a one rule fits all from the KC is not always appropriate. A very difficult question to answer here.
 Billhook 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Your dog, like mine may simply tell you when she's too tired. Mine once just laid down and refused to move until she'd rested.

But she was out with me every day, two or more times aday, so as she was growing up through puppy hood I got to be a good (I hope she thinks so), judge of how far she could walk without me having to carry her home as I did once when she was only just weaned.
 Bimble 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

I tried to keep my collie to the recommended daily walks but it just didn't tire her out, no matter how much additional play or mental stimulation she got. I took her on a 2-day hill bagging trip when she was 9 months old and she was fine, and 5yrs down the line isn't any the worse for it.

The 9 week old cocker pup currently sat on my lap, however, may well test the exercise limits somewhat!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...