UKC

Hints and Tips for One-armed Living.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Alcock 22 Oct 2016
So, after two years of investigations and physio I'm getting an arthroscopy done bright and early on Monday. I've practised dressing myself, worked out how to tie my laces with help from my feet, roll a ciggy etc, but I'm interested to hear from of you who've had this op, what non-obvious things should I prepare for? I'm dreading sleep: always on my side/front usually...
 wilkie14c 22 Oct 2016
In reply to David Alcock:

if it's your wrong side you need to learn 'lefties' when having your alone time
 daWalt 22 Oct 2016

presume this is temporary.
after a while your back , core , neck muscles might ache on one side - you'll become a bit unbalanced (muscle function wise) not actual balance; you're not going to fall over. but you might end up with backache - neckache after a while.
you won't be a able to drive a car (legally), unless it's an adapted car: automatic with modifications, steeringball with control buttons etc.
 Timmd 22 Oct 2016
I imagine cooking could be challenging depending on what you cook?
Post edited at 17:12
 Kevster 22 Oct 2016

I had one on my knee, they cut a few bits out whilst in there. 2 small holes maybe 10mm long.
It took 6 months for full function and range to return.
The short term was similar to it being sprained - swelling, stiffness, mild pain etc etc.

Good luck, hope it heals quick and the problem gets sorted out swiftly.

OP David Alcock 22 Oct 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

Thankfully the op is on my non-dominant side.
In reply to Timmd:

> I imagine cooking could be challenging depending on what you cook?

Mostly stuff that involves a sharp knife... Thankfully it's about time my partner remembered her culinary skills. But I imagine there are some dishes I could manage.

How much flexibility of movement in the sling fingers? (If you're even allowed to use them?)
 Yanis Nayu 22 Oct 2016

> Thankfully the op is on my non-dominant side.

Nothing to worry about then.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I confess I mentioned to my partner that she'll have very well-toned thighs and stomach in six weeks time...

Ribaldry aside, any other suggestions? Car seat belts for example as a passenger?
abseil 23 Oct 2016

Having a bath was one of my major issues during my 6 weeks being one-armed, years ago (and getting dressed, but you already mentioned that).

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.
 gribble 23 Oct 2016

Doors that require two hands to open - one handle, and a lock that needs turning with the other hand. Very frustrating. On the plus side, one armed climbing teaches an awful lot about good footwork.

scissors to hand

Lots of thing like plastic bags in cereal boxes need two hands to pull apart. A mate after breaking his wrists said his low point was sitting on the floor covered in muesli, having eventually got into the bag...
 Kevster 24 Oct 2016

How did it go?
 whenry 25 Oct 2016
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

Teeth + one hand, surely?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...