UKC

If tent got wet inside does it need re-waterproofing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 23 Oct 2016
I have a 6 year old Vango Banshee 200 that has probably only been used a handful of times. I test-pitched it in heavy rain in my garden for 2 days and it didn't leak a drop. Then I camped in the lake district and forgot to put 2 of roughly 10 pegs out which may be the reason the inner got stuck to the huge amount of condensation on the outer and leaked a very little bit.

1) does this mean I have to waterproof it or something - or do I just dry it out and jobs-a-goodun'?
2) what can I do to prevent condensation? - I pitched it in the morning before going for a hike and when I got back it was already very condensationy- without even a person breathing in it! - And this was after no rain in the day.

Thanks
 marsbar 23 Oct 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

You can't stop condensation, but as you already said you need to pitch carefully and avoid touching the sides, or the inner touching the outer. Sometimes opening the doors a little to get a breeze through helps.

> when I got back it was already very condensationy- without even a person breathing in it!

Evaporation and condensation from the ground and grass.
 zimpara 23 Oct 2016

Just dry it out, there is no wizardry.

If you want to carry less pegs, put one peg through the two guylines on either end.
OP elliot.baker 23 Oct 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Yeah I think a combination of rushed pitching, missing two pegs by accident and me tossing and turning all night caused the inner to stick to the outer and once that had happened it wouldn't unstick. It was like two sheets of laminated paper with water between them. Like magnetised together! All dry now though, and I didn't get wet which is the important thing!!!
 Neil Williams 23 Oct 2016
I had a Banshee a while ago, and one of the particular quirks of it was that if you didn't separately peg the air vent at both ends (and turn round the spacer things) it resulted in a *lot* of condensation. Quite possibly that.
Post edited at 20:18
OP elliot.baker 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

ahaaa... I didn't even realise I could peg those air vents... this may change everything!
 marsbar 30 Oct 2016

Hope it works. Vango tents are usually ok.
 Neil Williams 31 Oct 2016

I think you'll find it will - I really disliked it until I worked out how to solve the condensation issue. Then I was very happy with it until a pole snapped (which isn't a criticism as that will happen eventually on any tent that uses bendy ally poles if you use it often enough - metal fatigue sets in).
 Oliver Houston 31 Oct 2016

I have a similar age Banshee 200, ditto above, condensation is a massive issue, in Spain one summer we resorted to sleeping with the door open. We've used ours a fair bit (10-20 nights/year) and have never reproofed it. Try and avoid pitching on wet ground, open as much as weather allows. Try and allow a draft under the outer tent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...