UKC

Car Key Security

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 23 Oct 2016
When I go into the hills, especially on a longish trip, I'm often in a quandary where to put my car keys. I get a bit paranoid about the possibility of them getting dropped somewhere. I usually finish up stuffing them at the bottom of the water bladder pouch of my rucksack.

A friend has told me about this sort of thing:
http://www.stvedas.co.uk/Keypod+5G+Keysafe/0_CAAA052/PRAA214.htm
Has anyone got one? Just wonder how secure they actually are.
 Wil Treasure 23 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Most rucksacks have a keyclip in one of the pockets. Removes the danger of knocking them out of the pocket when you're getting something.
 markAut 23 Oct 2016

4 tumblers is not that hard to crack and for the price I doubt the casting is up to much. Bolt croppers or a wallop with a hammer wold give me your car.

On the assumption you are clipping it to your car, or something else sturdy, if you came back to a space where your car was, what would your insurance say when you told them how you secured it?

People probably do it, but it's a bit high risk for me.
 Ridge 23 Oct 2016
In reply to markAut:

> 4 tumblers is not that hard to crack and for the price I doubt the casting is up to much. Bolt croppers or a wallop with a hammer wold give me your car.

> On the assumption you are clipping it to your car, or something else sturdy, if you came back to a space where your car was, what would your insurance say when you told them how you secured it?

> People probably do it, but it's a bit high risk for me.

Agree completely. OP: Whats wrong with a putting a key clip inside the rucsac?
 wintertree 23 Oct 2016

I wouldn't use one, especially if there's any chance I would be observed using it.

After a long, cold search in the dark after a walk in the torridons due to a misplaced car key, I've become a bit of a fus pot about such things.

Solution: A spare car key semi-permanently fixed into my rucksack for the duration of a trip using a cable tie to the cloth loop the built-in plastic key clip was on. I don't much like the key clip itself.
 Glyno 23 Oct 2016

I'm wracking my brains to think of a good place to anchor that thing onto my car without having to crawl underneath it.

OP FesteringSore 23 Oct 2016
Don't like the rather flimsy looking key clips in rucksacks but wintertree's idea appeals.
 Cheese Monkey 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Glyno:

Towing hitch normal place. Loads of mates use them for surfing. Personally I think they are crap. I had a spare non electronic key cut kept it in wetsuit key pocket. Not lost it over probably 100s of sessions.

To the OP, unless you have a habit of emptying your bag upside down frequently just chuck it in the bottom of your bag... If you're really paranoid tie it on somewhere.
 RobOggie 23 Oct 2016

I personally have a small zipped waterproof bag clipped to the key clip in the top of my rucksack and I generally stick them in that. That way its two bags for them to fall out of and a bright orange bag is quite noticeable if dropped...
 MG 23 Oct 2016

Just hide them somewhere under the car. Inside of the bumper or something - all cars have loads of ledges where no one will look.
In reply to MG:

> Just hide them somewhere under the car. Inside of the bumper or something - all cars have loads of ledges where no one will look.

...except people who know where the ledges or something are. It's a silly idea. Just clip your keys into your rucksack like a normal person.
 Trangia 23 Oct 2016

I leave my key balanced on top of the front nearside tyre out of sight under the wheel arch. It's very secure and no one would think of looking there. It's like my house key kept under a brick by the front door.
 MG 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Shrug. Up to you. The chance of dropping keys from a rucksack are higher than theft IMO, then I often simply don't lock the car so maybe I am odd.
paulcarey 23 Oct 2016

Or you could do what I did at Stanage once and not bother.

Parked in the car park in the morning then climbed all day. As we packed up ready to leave and looked for the car key in the rucksack and it was nowhere to be found. Spent the next 45 minutes frantically searching the path up from the car park and was about to give up and throw myself on the mercy of the care hire company when I got a phonecalll from friends who had gone ahead to the car. The key was there - still in the ignition.
 Glyno 23 Oct 2016
In reply to paulcarey:

> Or you could do what I did at Stanage once and not bother.

> Parked in the car park in the morning then climbed all day. As we packed up ready to leave and looked for the car key in the rucksack and it was nowhere to be found. Spent the next 45 minutes frantically searching the path up from the car park and was about to give up and throw myself on the mercy of the care hire company when I got a phonecalll from friends who had gone ahead to the car. The key was there - still in the ignition.

A few years ago I returned to my car in the carpark at Thirlmere dam following a full day's walking and started to worry a bit when I couldn't find my keys in my sack.
Glancing inside the car, I saw the keys, my phone and my wallet on the passenger's seat!
 Timmd 23 Oct 2016

I use a screw gate crab to clip my keys onto the end of the drawcord which closes the opening to the main compartment. With a decent quality ring holding the keys slotted onto the crab they won't go anywhere if the crab is screwed shut.

gethin_allen 23 Oct 2016
In reply to markAut:

There was a story in one of the motorcaravan magazines my parents read about a bloke who lost his VW California after using one of these while out surfing and his insurance company wouldn't pay up.

out walking with a bag surely there's a simple solution. Surfing is more complicated, I once stuffed a key on a lace down the front of my wetsuit, the key rubbed me and the resulting blister got infected and I still have the scar almost 20 years on.
I'm virtually the same as RobOggie except I don't bother with the clipping to key clip! I use a very bright orange roll top waterproof bag, and I've never had any concern over about 20yrs it would be left behind (if for some reason it ever is taken from the rucksack on the hill which is unlikely as the only other thing in there is my backup mobile which if that comes out I have more to worry about than a car key!), nor any water getting into the rucksack affecting the electronic car key.

If you want an example of how easy it is to open a four tumbler unit - I was skiing with a guy one year and for some reason his ski lock had somehow been locked but not with the numbers he thought. He said it would take him only 15 mins to crack just by consecutive input of numbers (he had done it before!), and so the rest of the group just started getting our skis on and deciding where we were going to go. Less than 10 mins he had cracked the code.
In reply to gethin_allen:

A lot of wetsuits have key pockets
 Bootrock 23 Oct 2016
In reply to markAut:

> 4 tumblers is not that hard to crack and for the price I doubt the casting is up to much. Bolt croppers or a wallop with a hammer wold give me your car.

> On the assumption you are clipping it to your car, or something else sturdy, if you came back to a space where your car was, what would your insurance say when you told them how you secured it?

> People probably do it, but it's a bit high risk for me.

Absolutely bang on, wouldn't be hard to defeat that lock, if you wanted to keep it intact, otherwise more destructive methods would get through it no problem.

Keep your keys on you, I liked someone's idea of cable tying a spare to the inside of their rucksack.

plyometrics 23 Oct 2016

I'd suggest popping it up your anus for safe keeping. The only risk being it could end up turning you on...

Timmd 23 Oct 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

...'Cause nobody wants to be gay?
 plyometrics 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Not quite sure what you're getting at but my (admittedly crap) play on words had nothing to do with sexual orientation.

If you think it might offend I'll delete.

Wainers44 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

> A lot of wetsuits have key pockets

So I used to use it for the "metal" car key, leaving the electronic one in a locked car under a sock or something on the back seat. After the surf, get back to car, unlock with key and then grab the electric one quick as the car alarm always went off.

Now thanks to the "progress" in my new car, the bl**dy thing, knows I have left the key inside and just unlocks itself. Tried creeping up on it, hiding the key in the boot, yelling at it and everything. No, it knows the key is there, it just does.

So back to key tied in nappy sack left by the wheel under the car. Progress it certainly isnt.
 Neil Williams 23 Oct 2016

These specifically:

http://www.lock-tech.co.uk/shop/-Key-Strongbox-External-4-Digit/prod_21009....

are very secure indeed (insurance companies are generally OK with house keys being put in them on the outside of houses, and I know a retired Police Officer who in his previous house always had his house key in one), though fixing one properly to a car is probably not very easy and would certainly class as a modification.
 Timmd 23 Oct 2016
In reply to plyometrics:
> Not quite sure what you're getting at but my (admittedly crap) play on words had nothing to do with sexual orientation.

> If you think it might offend I'll delete.

>

No worries,

Edit...Oh, key! How slow of me.
Post edited at 20:12
I once went for a walk with a guy who was obsessive about losing his keys on the hill so his solution was to hide them somewhere close to the car for retrieval on return. It started to snow while we were out and by the time we got back to the car there was a good covering. It took nearly an hour to find the bloody keys! Never again.
 Bootrock 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Timmd:

It's only gay if you enjoy it.
 plyometrics 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Timmd:

icnoble 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

The key safe in your link is not police approved. I realise this is slightly off topic but when I buy an outdoor keysafe it will be this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supra-C500-Police-Approved-KeySafe/dp/B00683OVB2/r...

My dad had one and was very impressed with it.
In reply to Wainers44:

Ha nice. Wrap it in foil?
 Kevster 23 Oct 2016

I used to scuba dive lots. We just hid the key nearby.
insurance is void, but like rapists who hid down remote dark alleys, who are these car thieves who loiter in remote carparks? It can't be a great success rate strategy.
Phil Payne 23 Oct 2016

I can assure you that these are not secure at all. I have one and am able to pick it using a scrap of metal cut from a coke can in under 30 seconds.
 LastBoyScout 23 Oct 2016

Either in a dry bag with phone and wallet (wet weather) or clipped to the loop inside the lid of my bag (dry weather) works for me. I have been known to clip an orange "remove before flight" ribbon to them, so they don't get lost.

I've seen the keysafe you linked to used by a few surfers, generally clipped to the suspension or tow bar. People also tuck keys up behind the bumpers or in magnetic boxes somewhere, but that's a dead giveaway if someone's watching. My wetsuits have a key pocket, either on the leg or the back, but I've always had a non-remote key on a loop around my neck underneath my suit and the remote part hidden inside the car. Mate of mine puts his remote key in one of those waterproof phone cases tucked in the back of his suit.
 Brass Nipples 23 Oct 2016
> A lot of wetsuits have key pockets

Do you go in the hills wearing a wet suit often?
Post edited at 23:55
abseil 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Do you go in the hills wearing a wet suit often?

Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea ha-ha
 Cheese Monkey 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Have done a few times on caving trips actually.
 lordyosch 24 Oct 2016
In reply to RobOggie:

I use a similar system. Bright orange dry bag tied to the loop the key clip is attached to! Also keep phone, wallet and spare torch in there
 Neil Williams 24 Oct 2016
In reply to Phil Payne:
And you can put the window through with a brick in 2 seconds...

(Security is a game of one-upmanship, not an absolute)

Though I must admit to being intrigued as to how you pick a combination lock.
Post edited at 08:59
 Babika 24 Oct 2016

My car and house keys live permanently on a great long coloured lanyard. Pretty hard to lose and if you're really stressed in the hills just hang them round your neck.

You could use 4mm cord if you prefer to be rufty tufty and climbery....
Phil Payne 24 Oct 2016

Quite easy on these. You cut a bit of coke can about 5mm wide and 8cm long and stick it down the bottom left corner of the tumbler. Spin until you feel the pick lift and then repeat for the other 3 numbers, then move all the numbers down 2 positions and bingo. Plenty of videos on youtube and cheap Master locks are known to be very easy to pick.
 Dave B 24 Oct 2016

I have a non-electric key (with no chip) that I keep in the car - Unless someone can hot wire round the imoboliser, its only use is to get you into the car. Its in a lanyard that can be used to larks foot it into place either in a bag, or a wetsuit/bouyancy aid loop or hung round my neck. Really useful if you do go out with the family and then decide to go slightly different ways - at least you can get back in the car and get dry (if its raining) or get changed after a water session. This often happens when they go for a walk while I go out on the water.

My friends have got the lock boxes and they've never had any issues, but then its not a VW California they are driving!

For house/premises keys ive seen the Master lockbox, but not the other one. From my understanding the 'Police approved' is simply a pay for approval certificate - does anyone know what testing the police actually do on them? I'd be interested to know.

Normally I just use the rucksack loop for the electric key though when walking etc.

chris_s 24 Oct 2016

Ever since I watched my pack (with car key stowed safely in the lid pocket) blow away into the night during a winter storm, I've kept mine in a jacket pocket.
 earlsdonwhu 24 Oct 2016

Surely idiot string round neck.
 FactorXXX 24 Oct 2016

Don't put it into the little pocket on your chalk bag: -

The Muppet Show (E6 6b)

Tim Emmett did that and it dropped out and into the sea.
He had to do a rescue mission using borrowed diving gear.
What a muppet...
 Ridge 24 Oct 2016
In reply to MG:

> Shrug. Up to you. The chance of dropping keys from a rucksack are higher than theft IMO, then I often simply don't lock the car so maybe I am odd.

Or your car, like mine, isn't worth nicking...

Sharp 25 Oct 2016

I always used to keep a spare key in my car as well as taking one in my bag, if the worst happened and I lost my bag you could just break in and use the spare.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...