UKC

Sheffield vs Leeds. Help me out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spidermonkey09 25 Oct 2016
I'm planning on applying for a PhD in one of these cities. The universities are very similarly ranked, but I can't apply to both as they come under the same funding umbrella. Climbing is a major factor in deciding where I want to apply to, but I'm a bit torn...

As I see it:

Sheffield: Better trad climbing, the grit, 'the Sheffield scene,' closer to crags in general.
Leeds: Better sport climbing (Malham!), arguably better bouldering, Almscliff, still a good scene.

Please discuss! Would love to hear where you would like to live/do live.
 Andrew Wilson 25 Oct 2016
In reply to spidermonkey09:

Leeds. For the reasons you say, plus:

Lakes in striking distance for day trips.

Wales still ok for weekend trips.

A bit closer to Scotland, which is welcome on the way home at midnight on Sunday in winter.
 Andy Hardy 25 Oct 2016

Sheffield has more walls I think, but in the grand scheme of things they are very close to each other. Malham is certainly doable for a day out from Sheffield as is stanage from Leeds. After work climbing would be similar from either.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Oct 2016

Sheffield - 'nicer' city (whoops), more climbing within easy reach, fantastic for evening cragging,

Chris
cb294 25 Oct 2016

If you decide where to apply for your PhD on the basis of your outside interest I would not want to hire you for my lab.
Seriously, look at the work that is going to require a large part of your effort and motivation for the next few years, and be sure enough about what you want so that you will be convincing during the application interviews. The actual work will also be more enjoyable if you know you are doing precisely what you want.
Choosing a lab for your phD is a step up from choosing between unis that offer largely equivalent courses during masters studies!

CB

alasdair19 25 Oct 2016

Sheffield has way more climbing really nearby it's a fair bit cheaper id have thought. Surely there is something to choose between research groups?!
 JayPee630 25 Oct 2016

Sheffield is a nicer city (I live in Leeds!) and more of a manageable size. Bit quicker to get out of for climbing.
 minimike 25 Oct 2016
In reply to cb294:

Bingo! What this person said.. both cities are great, as are the universities, as is the climbing. As for the supervisors, groups and projects, I very much doubt they are both perfect (for you), so choose wisely. You need to be interested and able to work closely with the people involved.

Have you considered anywhere outside of Yorkshire?

Mike
 snoop6060 25 Oct 2016

Having lived in both I'd say the climbing scene in Sheffield is a lot more vibrant but you need to really like grit ( and raven tor and cheedale in the summer for sport). It's very doable to other places like Yorkshire, the lakes and Wales but it's bloody miles so I didn't get there nearly enough. The sport climbing potential from Leeds is much better as is the bouldering. The grit trad isn't nearly as good as the peak tho.

The best thing about Sheffield is that of you really do love grit there's tons of it within 20mins which is really good for quick sessions meaning you can get out most days if you want. And the walls are very good.
 Andy Hardy 25 Oct 2016

Actually, Leeds. You'd have less chance of meeting this charmer http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=651662&v=1#x8414147
cb294 25 Oct 2016
In reply to cb294:

Just read my previous post again and it comes across needlessly harsh. It was not meant that way. Still, pursuing a PhD will take most of your effort and motivation for a few years, so for your own sake you should first be sure that the lab and project fits your interests.

Otherwise, what should be an intense but exciting time can become a frustrating and depressing slog. When I see unhappy PhD students (or even students who quit after investing a couple of years!) in most cases it is not that they could not have managed, but that there was something that did not fit, be it with the lab, the personality of their PI, or the specific project. I can´t imagine that the labs and projects you are thinking of are so similar that the difference between living in Leeds or Sheffield (from a climbing perspective) should be a relevant criterium.

You are not choosing, say, between moving to China or staying in the UK, which would be an entire different level.

CB

I live in Sheffield, but spend a lot of time in the car driving up to Malham/Yorks grit. But also do a fair amount of climbing nearby. A lot of stuff is really quick to get to so good for evening sessions/short days. Really good scene in Sheff and some good walls though maybe not the best walls anymore (Obvs the Wave is amazing)?

Can day hit Lakes and North Wales if you're psyched enough. A little bit closer to Pembroke/South West (Not that it matters if you are driving that far anyway)

Sometimes wonder why I don't live in Leeds but do really enjoy living in Sheffield. As has been said above Sheffield is a little bit smaller and thus probably better for a bumpkin like me.

I doubt you'd dislike living in either so maybe go for whichever PhD course suits best?
 Juicymite86 25 Oct 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Hell yeah buddy....high 5? 👌
damhan-allaidh 25 Oct 2016

Just a note from your friendly UKC careers consultant - everything cb294 said x100. You will be spending far more time on your PhD than on climbing (grant you, this may vary at different stages of your PhD). If you want to maximise the potential to be satisfied and successful during your PhD, as well as laying the foundation for whatever comes next (academia, industry, something else....) you need to be in right PhD, not the perfect place for climbing. You can travel to climbing venues; your PhD is a commitment on par to getting married (say some...).

When I see PGRs wanting to leave their programme the main causes are wrong project and poor relationship with supervisor/s. This book is not supposed to be available by PDF, so I recommend reading chapter 1-4 (especially 4) while you can. Good luck!

http://library.ciitlahore.edu.pk/hub/How_to_get_PhD.pdf

Sheffield obviously.
What's the PhD title/department/group?
 petellis 25 Oct 2016

Sheffield has the brand in terms of the climbing "scene" which is why people are reflexively suggesting it, . If that is important then its the obvious choice. The flip side is that you can probably get to more quieter crags from Leeds. Otherwise I don't think there is much in it.

The bouldering on the Yorkshre grit is much better than the Peak and going west to the lakes or N wales is shorter.
Very little in it in terms of sport since the peak has the Chee, the Tor etc whereas you have Malham/kilnsey and the rest of the smaller Yorkshire limestone venues in Leeds. Its probably easier to get to Malham From Sheffield than it is to get to the Chee from Leeds.

In reply to cb294:
This is definitely good advice, however I should probably have made it clear that I'm going to be applying for a History PhD so the concerns about labs and projects etc aren't relevant here (it's the same proposal, which I've formulated, being put forward). What is relevant is whether I get on with the respective supervisors, and I'm definitely considering that!

While we're here though, although I totally agree the supervisor choice is very important, I would argue that it's quite important to be happy where you live. After all, life is about more than work!
Post edited at 22:02
In reply to damhan-allaidh:

Cheers- will give it a read!
 Bulls Crack 25 Oct 2016
In reply to petellis:

Not really that much contest between Yorks and Peak sport though - York's every time.

But go for the best PhD vibe!
 PaulTanton 25 Oct 2016
Think of the worse case scenarios.
Leeds has Baildon
Sheffield has Horseshoe.

Both really handy in crap weather

cb294 26 Oct 2016
Ok I see, in the humanities you do indeed often work on your own, either in the library or from home. In this case the place where you live is indeed more important relative to other issues than if you do a wet lab PhD in the life sciences (my field).
I also agree that life consists of more than work, but the PhD is a limited period in which you will have to work harder than you have ever done before to be competitive. It is therefore crucial that you are fully self motivated, and that the topic, circumstances, colleagues, and everything else fit good enough that you can keep that level of motivation up for at least three or four years. In real life, the majority of progress will be done towards the end of your thesis: Nothing motivates as well as last minute panic! (Of course this is slightly cynical. You also do get more done per time towards the end as you will benefit from the experience you will have hopefully gained...).

Anyway, overall you will be surprised how much of your time and energy will be taken up by the PhD work, and how little is left for anything else, especially if you come straight form your masters£course. The comparison with marriage offered above is indeed quite apt!

One thing that I do recommend is to take your holidays, your performance will be much better when clearing your head from time to time (it definitely is for me).
I therefore insist that my students take a break in summer and over Christmas, while other PIs at my institute make it clear that they don£t like seeing students take the holidays they are entitled to by law. Overall I think that the productivity of their labs is not better than mine.

Good luck,

CB
Post edited at 08:34
 DerwentDiluted 26 Oct 2016
In reply to PaulTanton:

> Think of the worse case scenarios.

> Leeds has Baildon

> Sheffield has Horseshoe.

You haven't explored Stannington much have you?

Baron Weasel 26 Oct 2016

I did my undergrad degree at Leeds and always thought the Peak grit was better. If I'd gone to Sheffield I'd probably have thought Yorkshire grit was better... The grass is always greener on the other side and all that!
 Richard J 26 Oct 2016

I'm biased on this, but I think the case for Sheffield is very strong - the Peak is just that much more accessible. CB is absolutely right that you should focus on the academic side of the argument in making your decision, but that's not a problem here - Sheffield's history department is excellent, one of the best in the country (if you go by measures like the REF) and probably does have the edge on Leeds (not that theirs is a weak department by any means). Of course, you'll need to take a view on how you might get on with a potential supervisor, but only you can make that judgement.
 jkarran 26 Oct 2016

Pick the project/group you really want to join, it'll have a far bigger impact on your quality of life than the Malham/Miller's Dale conundrum. Both cities have their merits (though Sheffield is nicer IMO), you'll be able to climb to your heart's content from either.
jk
damhan-allaidh 26 Oct 2016
In reply to cb294:

Your advice still holds. Actually, a real risk for arts and humanities PhDs is choosing or sliding into isolation.

spidermonkey09:

Selecting a suitable PGR community (the historians lab) is important for well-being, research and even future career development (if you stay in academia these people will be future colleagues and/or collaborators; if you leave, they may still be future colleagues and/or collaborators).

There will be opportunities to be a GTA., depending on the university/faculty/department/whatever there will be opportunities to join smaller communities of PGRs who organise and deliver training , conferences and seminars for other PGRs; actually, I'll stop there. I could be listing stuff all day. They'll also support you through the 'second year blues' (can also occure at 18 months) in a way that other people who haven't had or are having that experience can.

Work-life balance is very important, quality of life is very important, having non-research/academic friends/activties is very important - yet, you don't want to be dreading/avoiding going in or avoiding working on your research because of unpleasant associations with the research community and environment.

If you are a resilient, independent, prefer-being-on-your-own type, choosing not to go in your department could have repercussions, if not for your well-being and, in an obvious way (but I would argue it would have a subtle and insidious impact) , on your research, but almost definitely on paving the way for life after your PhD.

The University of Warwick publishes a blog for PhDs written by PhDs with some wise and thoughtful posts. Here are a couple that might be useful to you:
https://phdlife.warwick.ac.uk/2016/08/17/being-a-phd-and-all-the-rest/
https://phdlife.warwick.ac.uk/2016/08/31/peer-support/
Thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated! I'm definitely not prioritising location over academic suitability, but it is a consideration for me- no matter how good the department, I just wouldn't be that happy living in London (for example) I don't think. Like a few of you have said, how I get on with supervisors is the real litmus test and only I can answer that!

Far from certain I'll get the funding anyway so this might all be academic (pun intended), but fingers crossed!
Post edited at 01:38
 Dauphin 28 Oct 2016
In reply to jkarran:

How can you say Sheffield is 'nicer' its one of the most ugly places in the U.K. with shocking roads if you are a cyclist. Lived in both. Living in Sheffield currently.

D
 deacondeacon 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

> its one of the most ugly places in the U.K.
Are you insane?

To the op: opinions are so divided on this that you can see there's very little difference really. As a climber you'll be happy in either.

>

Dauphin 28 Oct 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

We talking about the town itself. Sure the bits around the west side and university are charming, the rest not so much. Roads and traffic are a terrible if you are a cyclist, including out to and back from the fields and hillocks that comprise 'the peak'. A big 'Meh!' from me. Won't be stopping.

D
 Rob Parsons 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

> ... the fields and hillocks that comprise 'the peak' ... Won't be stopping.

Ok. Bye bye.

Bulls Crack 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

> How can you say Sheffield is 'nicer' its one of the most ugly places in the U.K. with shocking roads if you are a cyclist. Lived in both. Living in Sheffield currently.

> D

It all relative, neither are beautiful!
 muppetfilter 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Dauphin:
Could I suggest you dont Visit ..... Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Cleethorpes, Cowdenbeath, Barrow, Coventry, Dudly , Stoke and the entiriety of Teeside.They really are ugly places

I'm sorry you probably woke up after a night of passion with a fat lass from ManorTop dont judge Sheffield on this one sordid occurance, its a green city with great facilities and lots to offer.
Post edited at 11:45
 Dauphin 28 Oct 2016
In reply to muppetfilter:

Nope, you are correct I stay away from all these aforementioned shitholes also.

I'm sorry you probably woke up after a night of passion with a fat lass from ManorTop

Green city? Not as green as yer mum.

D
 Dave Garnett 28 Oct 2016

> Thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated! I'm definitely not prioritising location over academic suitability, but it is a consideration for me- no matter how good the department, I just wouldn't be that happy living in London (for example) I don't think.

I think you're right to consider the balance. It's true that a PhD can be pretty all-consuming but you could argue that that makes it even more important to have some fun readily accessible on the rare occasions you can get away, as long as you see this as secondary consideration. Anyway, given that you could be choosing between London, Aberystwyth, Paris, New York, San Francisco or Cambridge - Leeds and Sheffield seem pretty similar, so choose according to the project and the supervisor.

That said, I did manage to spend time at some pretty good universities from a climbing point of view (Bristol and Cape Town take some beating) but only because there were really good academic reasons for choosing them. And I did have to serve my time marooned for three years in between with only the Brooke's wall for consolation.

Tall Clare 28 Oct 2016

I'm about to apply for a PhD at Leeds - partly because I live closer to Leeds and, as an Old Person, upping sticks isn't a possibility, and partly because I've just done my Masters there and there are lots of interesting people I'd like to work with in my department. And some other reasons, but all that's an aside.

I've worked in Sheffield for a while and as cities go, I think I'd prefer to live there - it always feels friendlier than Leeds to me (I say this as someone born in and raised near Leeds) - but then I agree with what everyone says about Leeds being nearer to a greater variety of rock.

I also really just wanted to say good luck with the application, and the funding application too - I'll be wading into that fray imminently.
 Timmd 28 Oct 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:
> I've worked in Sheffield for a while and as cities go, I think I'd prefer to live there - it always feels friendlier than Leeds to me (I say this as someone born in and raised near Leeds) - but then I agree with what everyone says about Leeds being nearer to a greater variety of rock.

I've noticed that people who move to Sheffield often question why I would want to leave if I talk about exploring what's outside of the city, along the lines of 'Just go travelling...'. If something very interesting or exciting pops up I may move away, but it's always nice to be told you live in a good place.
Post edited at 18:11
 Baron Weasel 01 Nov 2016

+1 for Leeds is Henry Price. 24/7 dry open air bouldering. Way back during the 2001 'Foot and Mouth' it was the only crag open for few days..
 John_Hat 01 Nov 2016
Having worked in both and lived in Leeds I would say that getting out of Leeds to somewhere like Almscliffe in an evening requires cute timing and a thorough knowledge of the back streets. Even then, it can easily take 60 minutes to get out to the crags. There's a lot of other crags close to Leeds as well - I used to get to Ilkley quite a bit in the evening.

Sheffield in rush hour just stops. The whole city gridlocks - there aren't any back streets that are not full of cars. So, whilst a lot nearer to the crags, it still takes 30-45 minutes to get near them.

I would say however that Leeds has better nightlife, better restaurants and is generally - as a bigger city - more going on.

If climbing is your ONLY criteria I'd say Sheffield. If you're a bit more balanced, I'd say Leeds.

Qualifications: Lived in Leeds 20 years, been working in Sheffield for the last two years.
Post edited at 22:11
 Timmd 01 Nov 2016
In reply to John_Hat:
I can well believe that Leeds has more going on. I've heard that while Sheffield is relatively cheap to live in, the pay scale is similar too, I don't know whether the reverse applies to Leeds re price of living with the pay scale being a bit higher there than in Sheffield. It might be something for the OP to ponder perhaps?

Bicycle is the only way to escape out of the inner Sheffield gridlock within 20 mins or so, but cycling anything approaching quickly can mean you're breathing in fumes more deeply too.
Post edited at 23:38
 Jon Stewart 02 Nov 2016

Climbing-wise, totally depends what you're into.

If your priority is grit trad, then Sheffield is far better, and far more convenient.

If you're into bouldering and sport, Leeds is far better (although Sheffield is still decent). Having the Lakes as an easy day trip makes Leeds great too.

Finding climbing partners is way easier in Sheffield - there are thousands of climbers, a massive scene. A big enough scene to be able to climb with good climbers who "aren't into the scene", if you want to.

For me, on balance, I think I would prefer to be back in Saltaire (Leeds-Bradford area) where I lived for a bit because of access to the Lakes and all the boudering I haven't done yet. Not for the local quarry, Baildon, which is a bag of wank. I've run out of decent stuff to do on Peak boulders (getting better is unlikely given rock-bottom psyche for training for bouldering) and spend every winter doing circuits of exactly the same problems, time after time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...