UKC

REVIEW: Crux RK40 Rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 25 Oct 2016
Crux RK40 montage, 2 kbThis roll-top sack is simple and lightweight, says Will Harris - but not at the expense of durability or functionality. It's by no means a budget option, but perhaps in this case you get what you pay for.

Read more
 Denni 26 Oct 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I don't have this rucksack but, the features are basically the same as the 30 which I do have.

My view on it. The "belt" is totally useless for anything and an afterthought. Size wise, if they made different sizes for different torso's, then the taller person would find it a better fit. I'm 6ft 3 and when I tighten the straps at the top, the sack sits really high on my back and is bloody annoying. I now only use mine as a more expensive dry bag than a rucksack.

Stuffing kit into it is easy, getting it out again is a bit of a faff and I find that a rucksack wth different compartments is much better for kit arranging and getting it in and out. Inside pocket, total waste of time.

Ski carry? Not a chance! The compression cord gets in the way all the time and the bottom compression straps are too flimsy to use with ski's. I sweat buckets when I've used it as there is no ventilation for your back a feature which most sacks have these days and most people seem to like. It's waterproof but it is heavy.

It would be good as a very small haul bag and a dry bag but I personally didn't like it as a rucksack and you can get a top spec rucksack with all the bells and whistles, that you want/need, for a lot less than that.

Also, this is pretty much the same for a fraction of the price.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/walkers-drybag-rucksack.html

Timmd 26 Oct 2016

Regarding the housing for the clip being made from metal, which is a great idea, I've found that a handy bodge for making broken rucksack clips secure again is to carry a cinch strap, and tighten this in a loop around the clip to hold it together.

A cinch strap doesn't weigh a lot and could possibly be used for other running repairs too.
In reply to Denni:

Hey Denni,

Thanks for you response. Just a couple of clarifications.

> My view on it. The "belt" is totally useless for anything and an afterthought.

The RK40 has a 38mm plain webbing hipbelt, compared to the 20mm webbing belt on the RK30. Having used both bags the hip belt on the RK40 is much more effective when carrying a heavy load.

> Size wise, if they made different sizes for different torso's, then the taller person would find it a better fit. I'm 6ft 3 and when I tighten the straps at the top, the sack sits really high on my back and is bloody annoying. I now only use mine as a more expensive dry bag than a rucksack.

The RK30 is only available in one size. You'll be pleased to hear the the first batch of RK40s with a long back is currently in production and should be with us soon.

> Ski carry? Not a chance! The compression cord gets in the way all the time and the bottom compression straps are too flimsy to use with ski's.

That's interesting. I've had no problems carrying skis rigged up as an A frame on mine. It isn't the quickest bag to attached skis to, I grant you, but it does work.

Tom (with his Crux sales rep's hat on)
 PTatts 26 Oct 2016

I notice that you haven't reviewed the haul loop for ease of clipping the bag in on belays. Is this because you tend not to bother doing this?
In reply to PTatts:

I tend to find throwing my rucksacks off mountains far more satisfying than carrying them to the summit, light and fast innit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...