UKC

Big Feet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepstar 25 Oct 2016
We are hoping to have a family ski holiday in the Dolomites this winter and my son in law will be joining us. He has been skiing before but had an uncomfortable time because he has size 13 feet and was forced into too small boots at the hire company he used. I thought it might be a good idea to get him a pair of second hand boots from fleebay but ones this size seem as rare as hen's teeth. Does anyone have a pair to sell or have any other ideas for solving this problem.
 girlymonkey 25 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:

Cut his toes off?!

Good luck in finding something!
 Becky E 25 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:

You could try contacting the hire shop(s) where you'll be staying and see if they have any suitably sized boots they could reserve for him?
 Lucy Wallace 26 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:

Another option could be to hire in the uk?
 Dark-Cloud 26 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:

If you have a look on some of the large European websites boots can be had for 150 Euro but its not really going to work unless you have half an idea what size he is in the Mondo sizing, 13 equates to a 32 but he may get away with a 31.5 in some boots
OP deepstar 26 Oct 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> If you have a look on some of the large European websites boots can be had for 150 Euro but its not really going to work unless you have half an idea what size he is in the Mondo sizing, 13 equates to a 32 but he may get away with a 31.5 in some boots

Very interested to know what you mean by Large European Websites? I am fairly inexperienced at this sort of thing and have only ever used Ebay.
 Dark-Cloud 26 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:

just search for:

Bergzeit
Sport Conrad
Blue Tomato
 Jim 1003 26 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:
Decathalon
Post edited at 19:40
 dsh 26 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:

Buy boots from a fitter unless he's never going to do it again. Fitter every time. Boots aren't that expensive compared ot rentals.
 Jim 1003 26 Oct 2016
In reply to dsh:

Never buy boots from a fitter....
 dsh 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Never buy boots from a fitter....

Great advice
 Dark-Cloud 27 Oct 2016
In reply to dsh:

I cant help view* boot fitting as something akin to The Emperers New Clothes effect, unless you have webbed feet or your ankles bend the wrong way or you ski 100 days a year, get measured, buy a boot you like, done.

* Based on my own experiences and views, each to their own and all that, i have 3 pairs of Ski boots, none of which were professionally fitted, all of which fit perfectly well and i can wear for hours a day without issues.
 dsh 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
Well, I do ski nearly every weekend in the season plus a couple of longer trips, and have some foot issues, but you're very lucky or must have very easy feet. I had boots fitted, and altered and my performance improved because my comfort in the boots is much better than I used to have. That seems to be the same experience that most people I ski with have. My wife decided it wasn't worth it because she doesn't ski as much and bought a pair of boots that she used for 6 days last season. Now she needs new boots because although these were perfectly comfortable when trying them on, they kill her shins after a weekend of skiing.

That's great that your boots were comfortable without using a fitter I would say you got lucky though, getting a boot fitted properly is not a waste of time. It's not like you pay for the fitting either, and good deals can be had on the boot if you time it right.

Also the OP was having difficulty finding boots that fit his son in law.
Post edited at 14:26
 Jim 1003 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> I cant help view* boot fitting as something akin to The Emperers New Clothes effect, unless you have webbed feet or your ankles bend the wrong way or you ski 100 days a year, get measured, buy a boot you like, done.

> * Based on my own experiences and views, each to their own and all that, i have 3 pairs of Ski boots, none of which were professionally fitted, all of which fit perfectly well and i can wear for hours a day without issues.

^ Likewise, I have 3 pairs of boots, 3 pairs of skis and spend most winters skiing, the only boots that ever hurt my feet were those fitted by a boot fitter, me what he had in the shop. Now older and wiser,who was determined to sell me what was in his shop. The other name for a ski boot fitter is a ski boot salesperson.

Decathlon is probably the best place to buy ski boots, you can use them and take them back for up to a year, as I did last year with one pair, which I used for a month then decided were not stiff enough. Took them back, no problems and no questions. Try that in Snell sports.
Post edited at 14:25
 dsh 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> ^ Likewise, I have 3 pairs of boots, 3 pairs of skis and spend most winters skiing, the only boots that ever hurt my feet were those fitted by a boot fitter, me what he had in the shop. Now older and wiser,who was determined to sell me what was in his shop. The other name for a ski boot fitter is a ski boot salesperson.

So you went to a bad boot fitter.

Jim 1003 27 Oct 2016
In reply to dsh:

The best boot fitter is yourself. Do you get people to try all your clothes/shoes on for you?
 Dark-Cloud 27 Oct 2016
In reply to dsh:

Well, you have just confirmed what i was saying, you have foot issues, the only issue the OP has is finding something bit enough, how is a boot fitter going to help that, modify his feet ?

Quite how having boots fitted would make your shins not hurt after a few days i don't know, if they didn't hurt when she tried them on how exactly would a boot fitter have made a blind bit of difference, looking in a crystal ball perhaps ?
 dsh 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> The best boot fitter is yourself. Do you get people to try all your clothes/shoes on for you?

Of course not, I have worn clothes my entire life, but ski boots are an expensive piece of technical kit that feels very different during their intended use than what is comfortable in a shop. A fitter is better at identifying issues and can also fix them once they come up. If the boots are painful once on the slopes they can switch or alter them. You can't return them once worn if you buy online.

I accept that if you've got many years experience skiing then you may not need this service, but actually getting a good ski boot fit takes experience. My wife wasted money buying boots that were very comfortable at a sale when she tried them on, but kill her shins when skiing. We took them to my fitter and she was instantly able to tell her the problem, and was able to alter them a little to reduce some of the pain, but basically the boot didn't fit, even though she thought it did when she tried them on. Up to my first full season of more than a week skiing I used rentals that I thought fitted when I was in the shop because they were snug but comfortable and my normal shoe size, but were actually too big. However I thought it was all due to my technique and ability. When I got boots fitted and downsized, I noticed a drastic improvement.

dsh 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Well, you have just confirmed what i was saying, you have foot issues, the only issue the OP has is finding something bit enough, how is a boot fitter going to help that, modify his feet ?

I was saying he might be able to find something big enough, and also if they're going to ski more than that one time (they had been before) then purchasing is a better option than renting.

> Quite how having boots fitted would make your shins not hurt after a few days i don't know, if they didn't hurt when she tried them on how exactly would a boot fitter have made a blind bit of difference, looking in a crystal ball perhaps

The boot fitter would have known they weren't the right boot from the start. My fitter also let me demo some boots to see if they would fit well while skiing.

I live in America though, maybe the boot price to rental rate is more in my favour here to be fair.

Jim 1003 27 Oct 2016
In reply to dsh:

A fitter is better at identifying issues and can also fix them once they come up. If the boots are painful once on the slopes they can switch or alter them. You can't return them once worn if you buy online.

^ As I said previously, if you buy ski boots in Decathlon, on line or in the shop, you can return them after you have used them for up to a year. There does not have to be any fault with the goods.
 dsh 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> ^ As I said previously, if you buy ski boots in Decathlon, on line or in the shop, you can return them after you have used them for up to a year. There does not have to be any fault with the goods.

Well that's a good deal then. I used to shop in Decathlon all the time, wish they were over here. Doesn't mean boot fitters are inherently bad or a waste of money though.
 kevin stephens 27 Oct 2016
In reply to deepstar:

A good boot fitter makes a massive difference

I suspect many people who buy off the shelf haven't had the opportunity to find out how much difference a close fitting ski boot makes to skiing ability; good boots are really part of the ski rather than clothing. Fit is even more important than high performance rock climbing shoes, sloppy fit is just as detrimental

A good boot fitter will identify the right size and shape for your foot and then get the liners moulded to your feet. Most boot liners are designed to be heat moulded, for this to work the boots will feel too tight until they are moulded

The OP's son in law had hire boots that were too tight, a boot that may feel too tight in, say Decathlon may be just right if moulded and adjusted by a good boot fitter.

I can highly recommend Rivington Alpine near Chorley in Lancashire
 Jim 1003 28 Oct 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:
> A good boot fitter makes a massive difference

> I suspect many people who buy off the shelf haven't had the opportunity to find out how much difference a close fitting ski boot makes to skiing ability; good boots are really part of the ski rather than clothing. Fit is even more important than high performance rock climbing shoes, sloppy fit is just as detrimental

> A good boot fitter will identify the right size and shape for your foot and then get the liners moulded to your feet. Most boot liners are designed to be heat moulded, for this to work the boots will feel too tight until they are moulded

> The OP's son in law had hire boots that were too tight, a boot that may feel too tight in, say Decathlon may be just right if moulded and adjusted by a good boot fitter.

> I can highly recommend Rivington Alpine near Chorley in Lancashire

Boot fitters often talk bollocks, I think people forget the only boot they will fit on your foot is one that is in their shop. I have seen people come away with some boots that really didn't fit them well at all, because the alleged boot fitter wanted to sell it to them.
Never heard a boot fitter say, sorry mate nothing here for you, try that other shop.
Also, if they fit the boot and it's not right then they should change it later, but will they? ...will they f+++K!

I equate boot fitters along with any salesman, listen to them at your risk...
Post edited at 11:58
 kevin stephens 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Jim 1003: I've had the negative experience you describe with two boot fitters who I will never go back to. I've had excellent service from two other fitters, including one who made my custom foot beds and tuned the fit of boots I had bought elsewhere

Jim 1003 29 Oct 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

I think that's the problem, know ing who is good and who is bad, hence I only trust myself now!
I thought that shop you recommended seems to have good prices.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...