UKC

Black mountains camping in December

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 harry-shutler 25 Oct 2016
I haven't really thought much about this as I literally just thought about it.... I have 8 days of holiday to use up before Christmas and it has to be taken in December. I've been thinking about just wondering off to wales for a bit, and the black mountains in Wales look pretty interesting. Does anyone have any recommendations of spots for wild camping, pubs or somewhere to dump a car for a week. Sorry it's pretty vague but I still have no ideas

Cheers
Harry
 Tony the Blade 25 Oct 2016
In reply to harry-shutler:

I'll send you an email
 d_b 25 Oct 2016
There is a camp site in llanthony, and an excellent pub in the ruins of llanthony priory under 5 minutes walk from the camping.

As for wild camping, I have camped on various ridges without any bother.
Post edited at 20:52
 Welsh Kate 25 Oct 2016

There's also a tiny wee bothy at the top end of Grwyne Fawr reservoir in the next valley over from Llanthony.

How about camping on Lord Hereford's Knob?
Moley 25 Oct 2016

Wait and check the the weather forecast just before. Wales in December, in rain, in a tent, on a mountain, can be a miserable experience. Pub maybe a better bet.

If the weather is good, plenty of opportunities up there, go for it.
 ben b 26 Oct 2016
In reply to Welsh Kate:
There's a whole song about that

Have a look at the Half Man Half Biscuit lyrics project for the full glory
B

It will be very quiet in the hills in December and you can find plenty of quiet spots to camp. The Olchon Valley is a good place to start a long traverse with a scramble up Red Darren or start by ascending Black Hill (Crib Y Garth) - a fantastic ridge which leads on to Hay Bluff and beyond. Some great pubs too in Llantony or Llanbedr. Sadly the finest Black Mountain pub, The Bull's Head in Craswall is closed indefinitely.
pasbury 03 Nov 2016
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> Sadly the finest Black Mountain pub, The Bull's Head in Craswall is closed indefinitely.

This is terrible news

Was going to suggest this as a camping option. I remember it from 30 years ago when only the back room was used, perry & cider served from a tiny hatch in the wall (you had to ring a bell and after about 5 minutes and much scraping of chairs from the nether regions of the building, the landlord would appear) and bar skittles provided the entertainment.

In reply to pasbury:
It's the source of much local disgruntlement. The current owners have form, apparently, when it comes to buying pubs then closing them. It's a 10 min. cycle ride from my home and is deeply missed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...