UKC

Mounting a fingerboard on a freestanding pullup bar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 26 Oct 2016
Looking for ideas on mounting a Beastmaker on a freestanding pullup bar, something like this -

https://www.pullupmate.co.uk/products/free-standing-pull-up-frame.html

Currently the Beastmaker is attached to a plywood backing board. I had the idea of mounting the board to the vertical aluminium struts, but would need some sort of cylindrical brackets, and haven't been able to find anything suitable. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andrew
 Fraser 26 Oct 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

How about a couple of upturned, aluminium coat hooks fixed to the back of the ply backing board, then use the adjustable struts connected to the bottom of the board to ensure 'plumb-ness' as you suggest?
 Lemony 26 Oct 2016

A mate's got a brilliantly bodged set up for this, two wooden hook shapes on the top of the backing board and then two long legs which extend back to feet which sit against the uprights to spread the load. Probably some bracing as well, can't remember.
In reply to Fraser:

Hooks on the horizontal bar should work, but would need quite a bit of additional bracing between the bottom of the board and the struts, to stop the board from pivoting when weight is put on it. Maybe a couple of 4x4 posts with a cylinder shape cut ( roughly ) out of the ends - similar to what Lemony suggests.
 Fraser 26 Oct 2016

I was thinking more like an angle section as the stabilising struts, with a pin-joint behind the backing board and some sort of clamping mechanism onto the main uprights.
In reply to Fraser:

I can't quite visualize that - which probably means it's too complex for the likes of me!
In reply to Fraser:

Impressive. I particularly like the dotted fingerboard outline.
 Fraser 26 Oct 2016

It's patented: Beastmaker 3000 !
 Ams1101 26 Oct 2016

If you're feeling like splashing some cash, I got one of these (they post to the UK once you email directly instead of using the online shop).

http://smartrock.de/home.html

I had a homemade rigup, but it wasn't particularly clever and was awkward as I needed to be able to take it up and down regularly.

The flashier version can even be calibrated to an app on your phone to measure and track progress.
 Paul Crusher R 26 Oct 2016

There's an alternative to the door frame pull bar fingerboard mounting job, considerably sturdier in most cases, by crusher holds.. it might be worth considering?

http://crusherholds.co.uk/fingerboard-hangboard-mounting-device-2
 Lemony 26 Oct 2016
In reply to Paul Crusher R:
These are really good too, I finally got around to cutting a new back bar and putting mine back up this week. Rock solid.

edit: I should point out that the new back bar was needed because I moved froma house with really narrow to a house with really wide doorframes.
Post edited at 22:04
In reply to Ams1101:

That's not dissimilar to my first DIY effort. I'm not a fan of the doorframe mount, though. Whereas I do have plenty of floorspace.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...