UKC

Waterproof overtrousers for fell running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 29 Oct 2016
As per the title -

Could anyone recommend a good/fairly light pair of overtrousers that would pass the FRA rules?

I have a nice pair that has elasticated and zipped ankles but I don't believe this would be deemed within the rules... or would it?

Thanks

Mat
 digby 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

I would say if they are cheap, waterproof and light, even if not breathable, then they'll be fine. You are unlikely to want to ever run in them. Tights are just as comfortable for wet weather. It's about surviving if unable to move on the hill. I've never had overtrousers examined closely in a race check. I would think elastication and ankle zipping irrelevant.
OP Rampikino 29 Oct 2016
In reply to digby:

Fair enough - I will see what the most basic set I can get with taped seams is. Thanks.
 digby 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

I wouldn't worry too much about taped seams either! I think it matters in a jacket, which will see much more use, than overtrousers.
If you are going to do serious long distance running, whether racing or not, then I think it would be worth investing in good overtrousers. I keep swithering about OMM Kamleika as I've got the jacket. But they are expensive.
 DaveHK 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

If it's just to pass a kit check or put on in an emergency then get a cheap set of mountain warehouse ones or such like. I got a set for 11 quid they're very light and definitely waterproof. You wouldn't want to run in them though.
 steveriley 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

I've had the Running Bears in my bumbag for years. Never run in them, used them maybe twice. Small, cheapish
 PPP 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Mountain Equipment ones are the least baggy I have seen.

My Rab Xiom ones are great, but very baggy. No way I am running in them!

Take a peek here, though the waterproof kilt option might not be the one you are looking for:
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-waterproof-sh...
 shuffle 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

I've got Montane Atomics and they're very good - can be tightened around the lower leg so they're not flappy. I use them for hiking, cycling and general outdoors stuff too, but I agree with the others that if you only want them for kit check then some of the cheap cag in a bag type will do.

I carry my waterproof trousers every time I run on the fells but have never, ever run in them! The only time I would put them on in a race or on a training run would be if I was injured and needed to retain heat. Breathability wouldn't matter at all in that scenario, so I don't think there's much point paying a premium for it.
 galpinos 29 Oct 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

To pass FRA rules, the cheapest smallest pair with taped seams.

To actually run in (only really used in anger in the Highlander MM a couple of times) ME Fire-something. Gore Active Shell and only small ankle zips.

I do have some OMM Kamelika trousers that are leant out to MM partners as required. Very stretchy but make a plastic bag seem like the height of breathable fabric technology.
 Tom Briggs 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Rampikino:
Inov8 Race Ultras are c100gms but note the fit is extremely snug on the thighs!

I've had kit checks where they look v carefully for taped seams and have even questioned whether Pertex Shield is passable.
Post edited at 09:13
OP Rampikino 30 Oct 2016
In reply to All:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Much appreciated.
iusedtoclimb 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

When considering buying the waterproof trousers don't worry about what they are like to run in but what use would they be if you broke your ankle high on a lakeland fell.

I also think for FRA you have to have taped seams!
In reply to Rampikino:

Check these Hangar 18 ones out. Fairly cheap and meet FRA rules
https://www.h18orr.com/collections/waterproof-clothing/products/minimalist-...
 hokkyokusei 02 Nov 2016
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

> Check these Hangar 18 ones out. Fairly cheap and meet FRA rules

I have those trousers, and the top. I've never worn the trousers in anger, though I have worn the top. It's scarcely breathable, but that's not really why I carry it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...