UKC

Kalymnos in April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 31 Oct 2016
Just booked for the last week in April and the question is "how comfortable is the sea for swimming at this time?"

It was lovely plunging in in October after a hot day at the crag but I'm a bit of a wuss, and wondering whether to take a shortie....?

Ed Booth 31 Oct 2016
In reply to Babika:

who did u get flights with for April out of interest and roughly how much were they?? Cheers
 planetmarshall 31 Oct 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Just booked for the last week in April and the question is "how comfortable is the sea for swimming at this time?"

LMGTFY...

http://www.seatemperature.org/europe/greece/kalymnos-april.htm

In summary, average surface temperatures in the region are about 5 deg less in late April than in October - about 17.5 deg. For comparison, wetsuits are compulsory in the UK for many Open Water Swimming challenges when the temperature drops below 14 deg. Make of that what you will.

OP Babika 31 Oct 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:

> who did u get flights with for April out of interest and roughly how much were they?? Cheers

Easyjet - £130 return
OP Babika 31 Oct 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

Thanks. I did indeed google the temperatures myself but it was a bit meaningless. I was hoping someome might have first hand experience.

And i have no idea what LMGTFY means.....sorry...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 31 Oct 2016
In reply to Babika:

We swam a few times last April and it was very pleasant. Having said that we were aware it was fairly unusual - after a long calm spell so that the surface layer was quite warm.

Chris
 GravitySucks 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Babika:

> And i have no idea what LMGTFY means.....sorry...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=LMGTFY

Sorry, couldn't resist !
 kipper12 02 Nov 2016
In reply to Babika:

Can I hijack this thread a little. Im considering going in early April, either the 1st or Second weeks, whats the weather like then especially the chance of loosing a day to rain. I've been a few times now, but not early April.

cheers
In reply to Babika:

We were there in May a few years ago and it was pretty parky - mind you we're not that brave when it comes to cold water!
Andy Gamisou 02 Nov 2016
In reply to kipper12:

> Can I hijack this thread a little. Im considering going in early April, either the 1st or Second weeks, whats the weather like then especially the chance of loosing a day to rain. I've been a few times now, but not early April.

I'm going first week in April, and live somewhere with a similar climate. Been there early April before also. Most likely conditions over the period of 7 days - most days dry, one wet day. If you're lucky all days dry. If you are *really* unlucky then a few days of rain, a few days dry. Temperatures - ideal for those used to a Northern Europe climate. Take your shorts. Don't expect the sea to be warm. If it pisses down all week, then come and commiserate with us at the Glaros bar - no doubt Steve will have a few words of comfort for us. Ha ha.

kipper12 02 Nov 2016
In reply to Scotch Bingington:

My hope is for a dry time, but anticipate a day rain/showers
 najki_2000 02 Nov 2016
In reply to Babika:

we spent last two weeks of april 2012 there and the water at 'normal' beaches was rather cold and not much fun to throw yourself in. However, if you head to Rina port there isnt a normal beach but for some reason the water is of pleasant temperature and on sunny day it was rather nice. Nice clean spot (well it was in 2012; dont know whats it like now). You ll have to watch our for urchins though. We had discovered this in mid October the year before when we went for a chilly scooter ride around the island on a rather cloudy cool day (jackets and all that) and saw lots of greek looking people hanging around with towels. Tried the water out of interest and it was lovely warm!
 Emilio Bachini 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Babika:

I remember swimming back from Telendos in mid March 2014 and I was pretty cold to the core. I don't remember how long it took but I couldn't get warm for a long time after, even with the aid of hot showers, duvets and chocolate.

The idea behind my story is that it may be okay around that time of year but isn't what I would call pleasant. More type 2 fun as some might say. Still it's always nice to go for a swim.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...