UKC

'Rough Guide' Plans for home training wall.. Suggestions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve nevers 01 Nov 2016
Got a project on the go for a home wall due to having a daft amount of space available, so decided to build a mezzanine in one room with a training wall cave underneath.

Rough plans a vertical wall into a 40 overhang leading into a flat 'roof', so will need to ensure stability, strength and reduce flexing to a minimum. Are they any good plans available or any suggestions for the struts/batoning i'll need to ensure its solid?
Will be braced from one wall and pillars on the other opposing side, would it be recommended to go overkill for the supporting timbers?

Any advice or links to building guides would be appreciated, thanks.
Removed User 01 Nov 2016
In reply to Steve nevers:
It depends on how big the roof area is going to be. If it's just one 8' x 4' board width, then probably a 4" deep joist will be OK, if the span is much greater then I would use a 6" or 7" deep joist. For uprights a 4" x 4" will be fine as long it's it's suitably braced.
Timber is relatively cheap, so if space isn't too much of an issue then I would over engineer the frame.
Google 'bouldering wall construction', there's loads to look at and read.
Post edited at 06:14
 UKB Shark 01 Nov 2016

If the sole purpose is training I would keep the angles between 15 degrees and 50.

Matt Vigg 01 Nov 2016

Google the moon board if you have room for it, it's a specific size and angle and you can buy moon holds to go with it and then use the problems they design, I think other people share their own problems too. Building the wall is one thing but having continuously good problems is just as important. Not sure on how the moon holds compare to others price wise but you don't necessarily need them all, there's one of these at a wall I use and the problems are good.
 natehd9 01 Nov 2016

Metolius have an entire build guide on their website.

as an idea, my house is all either 4" or 7" joists, thickness depends on span, but building regs might be a good place to check?
 jkarran 01 Nov 2016
You need to build a safe, structurally sound mezzanine first and foremost. Building regs or a professional will help with that. Once you have that you can easily hang your wall under it, not as part of the structure. Domestic climbing walls need very little by way of structure to be safe, a 2x3 or 2x4 frame behind the skin, with quality sheet wood the frame can be minimal, 4ft centers, a little flex is no problem but can be easily eliminated with strategic bracing or a bit more frame if you don't like it. Personally I'd make it simple in shape and tilting in multiple panels so it's easier to move and flexible from a training perspective.
jk
Post edited at 10:18
 stp 01 Nov 2016

I wouldn't bother with the vertical bit. A waste of time and space for training, particularly in a limited space. Maybe just a vertical kickboard for starting on, around a foot high is plenty. I think a roof can be really good use of space so long as it doesn't prevent you from making the main walls steep enough.
OP Steve nevers 02 Nov 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:

> Google the moon board if you have room for it, it's a specific size and angle and you can buy moon holds to go with it and then use the problems they design, I think other people share their own problems too. Building the wall is one thing but having continuously good problems is just as important. Not sure on how the moon holds compare to others price wise but you don't necessarily need them all, there's one of these at a wall I use and the problems are good.

Not a fan of the moon board or the holds TBH. Local wall has one and its alright, but it would be dwarfed in the space i'm building in and I can set more diverse problems myself, more so on a more varied wall. Already have 200+ holds and the build will be used by climbers that don't climb the required grades that the Moon board excels at.
OP Steve nevers 02 Nov 2016
In reply to stp:

Have got a LOT of space!

Planning a 6ft wide 8ft high 5ft deep section that leads into a roof thats 6ft wide and 6-7 ft deep. also have a space for another angled section that would be at a right angle to the first but leading to the same roof that can be 8ft wide but would be a lot shallower than the first as theres only 2.8ft to lead into the roof section on that side.

Maybe better to visualise it..

North wall: 6ft wide, 8 in height, 5ft space for angling that section
West wall: 8ft wide, 8 in height, only 2.8ft for play in the angle
East wall: Just going to be flat, can add a few volumes if needed and theres space to not smash into them.
Roof section: 6x7ft. 8ft high.
South wall. Might leave it open, potential crack machine, or maybe shallow stepped overhang.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...