UKC

GPS or just altimeter watch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 a crap climber 01 Nov 2016
I decided recently that I would splash out on an altimeter watch as a navigation aid for ski-touring and mountaineering, however I can't help wondering if I should go for a full on GPS watch instead.

After a bit of research I found a Casio Pro Trek heavily reduced here: http://www.watchshop.com/mens-casio-pro-trek-alarm-chronograph-watch-prg-30...

Pros: solar powered so battery life isn't an issue, simple
Cons: not many really, other than the associated inaccuracy of a barometric altimeter

Looking around I came across this GPS offering from Suunto:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/suunto-ambit-3-vertical-gps-watch-wiggle-exclusive-...

Pros: GPS
Cons: more expensive, short(ish) battery life

I'm not really a big fan of gadgetry, particularly when I'm out in the hills so I'm kinda lukewarm about most of what the GPS watch can do. I can't really see myself tracking my route and plotting graphs etc when I get home.

Normally when navigating I just go off a map and memorise a few obvious features to look out for (as I'm sure most people do) . Most of the time I pretty much know where I am anyway cos I've been there before, though this has made me lazy at navigating properly. If I need to be more careful (e.g. in a whiteout etc) then I'll go off bearings and pacing. If I get desperate then I'll get my phone out which has an app to just give a grid ref. Obviously pacing isn't great on steep ground and won't work at all on skis, hence wanting an altimeter.

So I'm torn between having a grid ref handy all the time to make life easier, at the risk of becoming dependent on a device with limited battery life (I find keeping a phone charged enough of a hassle), or saving a bit of cash and going for something much more basic but that still has the actual feature I wanted in the first place. They're both quite expensive, so if I'm spending a lot anyway is it worth the extra for GPS? How have other people got on with these types of device?
 DaveHK 01 Nov 2016
In reply to a crap climber:
Ambit 3s are an excellent piece of kit and I wouldn't be parted from mine now. However, it probably does a lot more than you really need. The battery life can be extended a lot by decreasing the data recording interval. If you're just using it to check the odd grid ref (and not for tracking) then you'll get hundreds of hours out of it. Have a look at Ambit 2s which are still available and can be picked up more cheaply.

I could be wrong but that Casio looks like a POS.
Post edited at 22:48
 zimpara 01 Nov 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Any good alti watches that do without all the data logging but can give you a grid ref?
I was looking at a suunto core glacier but would like the grid ref feature.

Cheers, and sorry for hijack keen climber
 galpinos 02 Nov 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I don't think so? For the grid red you need GPS and if you've got GPS, it'll be on a unit with data logging and nav functions.

Could you not just use an app on your phone for the grid red?
 ianstevens 02 Nov 2016
In reply to zimpara:
The Suunto has an option to just display your location on demand. This works without enabling tracking. I have an ambit 1 and if used like this will last for 20+ days.

With tracking on as well it will last for at least 11 hours (not tested beyond!) at 1s intervals, and at least two days walking (16 hours, again, not tested beyond) on 1 min intervals.
Post edited at 07:28
 jezb1 02 Nov 2016

I have a core and an ambit.

I use the core if I'm not really expecting to do any tricky nav, the ambit if I am.

What I use the ambit for most when I'm naving, is measuring distances to back up my pacing, and sometimes the grid ref feature.
 GrahamD 02 Nov 2016

I like to have the GPS watch 'just in case' but leave it turned off most of the time. If you want altimeter (to navigate with) as well, make sure you get one with barometric sensor not just the GPS.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...