UKC

Lens choice Nikon D810

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hudson 02 Nov 2016
I am considering upgrading to a Nikon D810 in the new year and wanted recommendations and/or opinions on lens choice. I mainly take landscapes and cityscape photos. My initial thought was the Nikon 24-120 but am open to opinions (of which I am sure there will be many and varied)

Andy
 icnoble 02 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

I would suggest you spend more on the lens.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/u...

You havent got the range of the 24-120 but with that sensor you can crop.
 jethro kiernan 02 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

The sigma art lens 24-105 is also worth a look, thinking of swapping to full frame myself would be looking at the Nikon 16-35mm
F4 for landscapes
Removed User 02 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

I nearly bought one of these a couple of years ago (I went Canon instead). I'd spend as much as you can on a lens. It has been highlighted in many reviews that while the awesome sensor will make the most of good optics, it will also magnify the shortcomings of poor optics, and technique. A superzoom on a D810 would be a bit like remoulds on a Porsche.

Check out https://photographylife.com/lens-reviews
 SouthernSteve 02 Nov 2016
In reply to icnoble:

The 24-70 f2.8 is a great lens if you point it in the right direction, although a bit of an ouch price new more recently!

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 05 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

I guess ultimately it depends on exactly what you're using it for. A few thoughts on the lenses I own and use everyday:

14-24, F2.8 - Probably one of the best 'milky way' lenses with little coma at 14mm. 14 is very wide though even for landscapes and it doesn't take filters.

16-35, F4 - Excellent value for money. Very sharp, takes 77mm filters though does have a decent bit of distortion at 16mm.

24-70 F2.8 - Superb general use lens for landscapes and portraits. I find myself using this more and more for landscapes as wide angles manage to make even huge peaks look very small unless you're stood directly under them. The new 24-70VR is no sharper, heavier, bigger and more expensive. I'd second Icnobles suggestion of finding the non VR version second hand if you're thinking of this one. Unless of course you're planning on doing a lot of hand held shooting in low light.

80-400 F4.5-5.6 - Not as sharp as a pro prime zoom (I'm thinking of investing in the 300 2.8) but it's exceptionally convenient with such a big zoom range.

28-300 - F3.5-5.6 - I use this if I'm going on holiday / travelling light and I'm not sure what lens I need. It's obviously not as sharp as the above lenses with such a huge zoom range, but it's small, light, sharp once stopped down and exceptionally convenient.

As others have suggested I'd put your money in lenses not bodies. A good lens will last many years and doesn't really loose much value (if you go pro the lenses actually gain value with inflation). The D810 excellent though it is will be well and truly out of date in 5 years. The Nikon 24-70 2.8 is my go to lens and was released in 2007. I'll likely keep using it for another few years yet.

As far as 3rd party lenses go the Sigma Art series are attracting a lot of attention. The Samyang 14mm 2.8 is hard to beat price wise for astrophotography.

I hope that helps a little!

Some work at: https://jamesrushforth.smugmug.com/Portfolio/ (If you click the information button on an image you can see the lens used and exif data if that helps with decisions).
OP Andy Hudson 08 Nov 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:
Thanks for that info James, I'll look seriously at the 24-70, Do you always use Nikon lenses.

Andy

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 08 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Hudson:

No problem, I hope it was useful!

Yes I generally just use Nikon lenses as the auto focus is generally more reliable than 3rd party alternatives. However Sigma have got around this using their 'docking station': http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/sigma-usb-dock-review

And obviously for manual focus lenses like the Samyang 14mm and Zeiss options it doesn't matter.
 Pete Dangerous 08 Nov 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:

> 14-24, F2.8 - Probably one of the best 'milky way' lenses with little coma at 14mm. 14 is very wide though even for landscapes and it doesn't take filters.

https://1ilqi02m8hwd2soq3r1taz9w-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads...

A friend bought one of these for his 14-24

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 08 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Dangerous:

I tried a Lucroit Filter Holder using the Formatt-Hitech filters for the 14-24 but just didn't like the results. A very blue cast that was really difficult to remove in post - a whole world away from the BreakThrough Photography filters I now use. The huge filters are also difficult to transport and a very hard work in strong wind.

My 16-35, 24-70 and 80-400 all take 77mm filters which is very convenient (the new 24-70 VR is 82mm unfortunately).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...