UKC

Crux X1 Raid - or alternatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r1ch79 03 Nov 2016
Im not even going to appologise for yet another "tent" post but I dont want to waste/spend hard earned money without asking

but are they (single walled tents) really that poor at condensation handling

the crux x1 raid has some vents however in a pissing storm these would most likely be firm shut

so how do they really fare under our UK claggy damp atmosphere?

the ultralight dbl wall tents dont seem to be able to handle more than my current tent so im not willing to spend the sums involve
 alfmeister 03 Nov 2016
In reply to wannabeagoat:

Hi
I have the X1 raid, bought mainly as overgrown bivvy bag for solo Scottish winter trips. I couldn't find much about them on the web apart from one favourable review from an American website. ( can't find a link now but it may have been for a different tent in the range using the same fabric)
Anyway my own experiences although limited have been very good. In Scotland, temps ranging from bit above zero to -5ish windy but no where near hoolie it was very stable and no issues with condensation. This was with only me in it and cooking with the door open a bit to let the steam out. This wasn't really prolonged cooking just cranking up a jet boil for a few mins each time. In the mornings the inner just felt a bit cold and damp with a few fine ice crystals on colder mornings but never any drops and down bag against the wall remained dry. In the summer alps at warmer temps again no problems with just one person. Also found it very easy to pitch with gloves on.
I've used it a few nights in spring in Scotland, temps above 10 with two people. The inner was almost wet ( could feel moisture on the hand) but still no drips, this was with the vent and door open a bit. I haven't used in prolonged rain so can't comment on that.
Many years ago I used to ss gortex tent used it a variety of conditions with no major problems until it got nicked. The goretex had like a j cloth type backing which absorbed any moisture.
Good luck with your search
 pass and peak 04 Nov 2016
In reply to wannabeagoat:

Just got an X1 raid and tested it Wednesday night with same results as Alfmeister above, reasonably impressed. Again just boiling water for tea inside etc with vents cracked open just a smidge, only condensation was on the taped seams. I think it helps with moisture if there's a bit breaze outside, temp started at -1 and dry, by morning it was drizzle and about +4. These type tents are a bit specialized, ie minimalist to save weight and aimed at the high altitude mountain dash/overnight camp type of trip. Only thing I would say about the raid is, if your taller than 5'7" you'll not be able to kneel without banging your head on the roof, thankfully I'm not!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...