UKC

Low-ish level walk and B&B in YkshDales or Eastern Lakes please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all, I'm tasked with organising a walk and B&B weekend at the end of November for 3/4 gents of decent fitness and hill experience. None of us have any particular winter skills and so I don't want to risk being snowed out on the higher tops plus with the limited light we dont want a marathon.

Can anyone therefore please recommend an interesting 6-10 mile walk covering low to mid level ground including a number of individual tops (I'm a hill-bagging.co.uk nerd) so something which ticks off lists would be great. Added to this I'm keen to have it start and end at a B&B/Inn or perhaps a B&B with a nice local hostelry. Location preferably something eastern/southern lakes or Yorkshire Dales.

Thanks

Richard
 Mike Peacock 08 Nov 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Would a round of the eastern Borrowdale (near Shap) fit the bill? Start at Huck's Bridge on the A6 and take the small path up Ashstead Fell which is a lovely top. Follow the ridge over Mabbin Crag and on over other tops - all the way to Great Coum if you want which is interesting in itself for the sweeping views over the M6 (but options to descend before then). Opt for an easy return via the valley, or head up Casterfell Hill and back over the hills on the north side of the valley. Highest top is 494m (Grayrigg Forest, a Marilyn) so not too high.

I really enjoyed this as a round. Very quiet hills, but interesting.
 Mark Bull 08 Nov 2016
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Some good options in the Howgills, too. They just reach over the 600m mark, but the tops are fairly level and grassy, so unlikely to cause many problems in semi-winter conditions.
The best walk is perhaps the Sedbergh to Ravenstonedale traverse, but that requires suitable transport arrangements. See here for some circular walks: http://lonewalker.net/projects/walking-in-the-howgills/

Are there decent b&bs nearby?
J1234 08 Nov 2016

You may consider staying Burnsall/Appletreewick/Grassington. Very easy to catch a bus and do a linear walk along a section of the Dales way. Hotels and B&Bs to suit all pockets. Burnsall small village couple of pubs
Appletreewick Small hamlet with a couple of pubs
Grassington. Small town loads of pubs.
It is a great walking area
In reply to Lenin:

Thanks for the suggestion. Does this include any 'tops'?

Its been a low tick year so wouldnt mind doing a half dozen or so little uns.
J1234 08 Nov 2016
Depends what you call tops, but Simons Seat can easily be walked from Burnsall/A/wick, also Buckden Pike and quite a few others are within a quick drive. I was thinking more a car free weekend focused on the Dales Way. http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/select_walk.php
Post edited at 19:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...