UKC

Lights, camera, action

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 08 Nov 2016
Seems like LEDs are popping up everywhere. Are there any good portable options out there for video and photography?
 rallymania 08 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

if you decide to buy something not made for photography / video, make sure you test it properly before you use it in anger.

i tried a couple of generic LED lights previously and they either weren't white to the camera or they used some sort of scanning light pattern and made the image look truly terrible.

there's a few from the likes of neweer and manfrotto that might be worth looking at though, or just a portable halogen work light from screw fix

OP The Lemming 08 Nov 2016
In reply to rallymania:

> or just a portable halogen work light from screw fix

Now that sounds like an excellent plan.

Cheers

richprideaux 08 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I've used these for a little while to good effect. Enough to shoot handheld in complete darkness on a low ISO:

http://amzn.to/2ejMIyc

The extra rechargeable battery option is worthwhile, but they will run on AAs in a pinch.
 Indy 16 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Lots.... how much are you wanting to spend?
OP The Lemming 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Indy:

> Lots.... how much are you wanting to spend?

I quite like the idea of low tech and low budget, which means the offer of ScrewFix is the way to go.

rallymania 16 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
you might find the light from them quite harsh so you may need to reflect them off something or shine them through a defuser. they will get hot so don't just stick a sheet of paper or cloth over them to soften them
Post edited at 12:10
In reply to rallymania:

I was thinking of bouncing the light off the walls. With this in mind, I haven't seen the lights yet and the project isn't until next year.

All this is fact finding so far.

Out of curiosity, what could I use to make a soft light box that would not melt or catch fire within seconds?

rallymania 16 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

fire it through an umbrella (the photography kind)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Photo-Studio-Accessories/Esddi-Photography-White...

is a complete kit that might actually be better than the halogen work lights unless you want to use the work lights for something else anyway?
In reply to rallymania:

They look great, and more importantly cheap.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...