UKC

What do you like about climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 09 Nov 2016

Tell me what you like about climbing, it doesn't have to be your favourite thing but just one of the things that makes you get out of bed and spend time climbing up bits of rock/plastic. I think it'd be a nice thing to use UKC to get a bit of a list together, especially at the moment.

I'll try and start us off, I find this hard to describe but suspect it will need very little explanation for most of you. I like that sense of shared experience or companionship that you get with someone after you've climbed a route together. There's something having shared an adventure that gives you a closeness that I've never experienced in any other 'sport'. I've been lucky enough to climb with some great people and my life would be much poorer without being able to share that knowing smile of an epic survived or an expedition completed with them.

So over to you UKC, tell me one of the things you'd have missed if you had never pulled on a pair of rock shoes.
Post edited at 19:00
 mrphilipoldham 09 Nov 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Shared adventures.
Complete and utter control of my own headspace.
 joe.wahab 09 Nov 2016

The getting out into the beautiful outdoors and finding yourself in places that, relatively speaking, not that many people have been to before. Even less so finding themselves face to face with a bizarre array (or lack thereof) of rock features which somehow can be used to upwardly progress...
 olddirtydoggy 09 Nov 2016

The idea that a piece of hard climbed rock can be scaled and nothing is left behind.
 Elsier 09 Nov 2016

Shared adventures and new friends made as a result is definitely one of the many things I like about climbing

I also like:
- Being in the outdoors: fresh air, mountain views, and being surrounded by nature
- Having a reason to travel and explore new places that I might not otherwise experience
- Feeling that nice kind of tired after a day climbing in the hills
- Challenging myself and the sense of achievement I get from doing something that I found difficult
- The feeling of movement on rock/ ice
- Being totally absorbed in what I'm doing and the opportunity to switch off from all of the stresses of life temporarily
- All the memories I have from funny stories to tell my mates in the pub, to happy memories of all the enjoyable days out I've had

Climbing's great- there is so much to like about it!
 John Kelly 09 Nov 2016

this week

-the details of the rock that only become apparent when using a headtorch
-the subtle changes in friction that occur every trip

last week
- how great scottish mountain routes are

Kevster 09 Nov 2016
Though it's kitch cool right now, being in the moment is what does it for me. Nothing else matters, all consuming focus on the present. God bless "Flow" and "being in the now".
Post edited at 20:11
 deacondeacon 09 Nov 2016
There is a feeling that I get,perhaps once a year (sometimes a couple more) that makes climbing the most rewarding activity every.
It's the huge rush of emotion that you get when topping out on a route at the utmost limit of your physical and mental ability. As the intense focus of the climbing fades away and you return to the real world there is the greatest feeling ever.
Drugs are great as you come up on them, climbing is great in that split second afterwards.
I'm terrible with words but I'm sure someone will be able to explain better.

Edit: rather than words watch this from 45:00 (or just watch it all, as it's a brilliant film) instead.
http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/videos/stonnis/
When mark tops out, it's these emotions that I'm talking about. So rare, but this is why I climb.
Post edited at 20:25
 Jon Stewart 09 Nov 2016

The buzz, at its best, is rather like taking strong drugs. Except that you sleep well afterwards, and don't feel regret, guilt or shame.
 Jon Stewart 09 Nov 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

Ha ha - just read your post. Snap!
There are many things that I like about climbing - some are well covered by the comments already made. However I would like to add one that over the past few years has become central to my enjoyment. I love going to my local wall - twice a week - and just absorbing myself in the movement in the vertical world. I pitch the level at the edge of my ability - erring on the side of success and occasionally pushing the standard. I find that it gives me a huge boost in mood and can turn a 'down' feeling into a real 'up'. Through my other half I have come to learn about 'mindfulness' and realise that I am using climbing in the same way that many therapists would describe as just that. It engages the brain deeply in the present so that that other influences of a stressful nature are blocked out. I always feel revitalised after a session on the wall - perhaps for me climbing is the therapy of choice.
 Jon Stewart 09 Nov 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

> finding yourself in places that, relatively speaking, not that many people have been to before

The places that adventurous trad routes in the UK go can be truly unbelievable - hanging off jugs over the crashing waves on Star Gate (E3 5c), or escaping from the other-worldly interior of the Flytrap (E3 5c) burnt vivid memories into the mush of my brain. It took me years of learning and building experience to get into those places - and quiet a lot of effort to get out of them safely to the sandwiches at the top.
 bouldery bits 09 Nov 2016

I don't like climbing. I just like buying and maintaining equipment.
 dr_botnik 09 Nov 2016

It's a good excuse to get out the house
 beefy_legacy 09 Nov 2016

Great thread.

Mainly in bouldering, that feeling when I do a problem that seemed utterly impossible at the start, just completely beyond my physical ability, but with a bit of technique, practice, change of grip or something, suddenly just flows perfectly.

DWS: just the sound of the sea, the sun, the rock, everything else disappears. It's just such a peaceful feeling to be lost in a simple task.
 BusyLizzie 09 Nov 2016

Lovely thread, and comforting on a shitty day (US election).

Lots of common themes in the comments here, and you all put it so well there's nothing to add, only to echo:

- fresh air, beautiful places
- constructive companionship

- trust

- effort and focus and that wonderful feeling at the top
- the way everything else leaves my head when I am climbing

😊
 skog 09 Nov 2016

Above all else, I love the way it can make the mental noise and clutter go away, requiring full focus on what I'm doing so that everything else vanishes.

Also, there's the adventure, of course (and with the exception of winter and Alpine, it's a maybe bit of a cheat - it often feels much more adventurous and exciting than it really should, objectively). And there's the way it can get you to places and situations you would otherwise never experience.

And, yeah, the shared experiences - there's nothing quite like relying on someone for your life, or even simply being there with them through terror and elation. You can end up with a real bonds with people you might otherwise not even like.

Also, I love the way hexes jangle, it's one of the best sounds in the world.
 JEF 09 Nov 2016

I like to combine a weekend of climbing with camping with mates from my club. In the pub in the evening we can pretend we've done something epic (not usually the case).
Breakfast is at Everest base camp, in my tiny mind.
 TheFasting 10 Nov 2016

The complete freedom of the hills and choosing a climb with this giddy child-like adventurist "I wanna climb THAT" and climbing and hiking all day with a smile on my face.

That the mountain doesn't meet my needs, it's just there, cold and unforgiving. I have to rise to the challenge myself, with none of the support modern society gives me. If I fail, I might die.

The challenges. I don't know what about it makes my engine revv, because challenges can be found anywhere, but sometimes when I see something like the north wall of the Eiger, Stetind, Matterhorn, the North East wall of Store Skagastølstind or the Peuterey Integrale something inside me turns on all the lights and the "I want to climb THAT" soundbite starts playing.
 john arran 10 Nov 2016

When I climb overseas I'm not a tourist. I've tried tourism and generally I hate it. But when I go away to climb, even somewhere I've never been before and don't know anyone, it feels like I'm visiting friends, and often making new ones.
It works the other way too, when other climbers are in our area.
 beardy mike 10 Nov 2016

Having had a good training session last night at the wall, the feeling of sitting here with warm forearms, sore hands and a sense of satisfaction the day after. Same for outside.
 Oogachooga 10 Nov 2016

Not going to lie, recently my outlook on climbing has shifted from being 'a climber', obsessively thinking about it 247, to a more subtle part of my life. It doesn't take as much to scratch the itch anymore, the afterbuzz used to last for days but now it doesn't feel as strong.

I don't care about grades, training as hard anymore. Now I find I'm chasing fun times, laughs and stunning backdrops to our hobby. Zimpara and I have had some massively fun adventures, from rescuing tourists at Cheddar to almost fighting Llanberis locals when all we wanted was a curry after a day on the slate, waking around Betws y Coed after not washing for 3 days stinking and looking like tramps, so much fun . All being a few hours from home.

Climbing for me now is simply an excuse to get out and make some pretty damn good memories
 Trangia 10 Nov 2016

It's because my fellow climbers are such a friendly, welcoming, considerate, non controversial, charming, happy and contented bunch of people as witnessed by the threads on this forum that it's a pleasure and privilege to be counted amongst them.

Joking aside I generally enjoy the company of, and shared experiences with, other climbers.

And then there is the indescribable joy of being high up on a clean route in glorious weather at the sharp end and feeling comfortable on the rock.
 Derry 10 Nov 2016

Without climbing I doubt I would have a 'true' passion. There are certainly things I was interested in before but not at the same level. Nothing that I would jump out of bed and wish I was doing every day that's for sure.
 alan moore 10 Nov 2016

I like rock.
I like climbing about on rocks.
I love the feel on boot-rubber on coarse rock.
I love the light and soul and scenery of the British Isles.
I live for that feeling of taking a helium balloon full of fear and adrenaline and crushing down into a fist-sized ball in your chest.
At the top, when the balloon is released, everything is clearer.
Something like that, anyway.
 Will Hunt 10 Nov 2016

Burning people off. You know when you both try something and you get it but your mate doesn't? And then you move onto another route or problem and you get that one too and your mate doesn't. Or maybe you flash it and your mate struggles. You can round the whole experience off by saying the problem or route is piss, and perhaps a contender for a downgrade.

It's very rare, but when you've put up a new route or problem and then your mate tries to repeat it and fails - it's the best feeling in rock climbing.
 Ciderslider 10 Nov 2016

Charley Fell
 Cheese Monkey 10 Nov 2016

I had a great time today on a 7a+/7b just working it out, trying the moves, getting a sequence sorted on the crux etc. Really enjoyed the process, the climbing was almost irrelevant. RP next time.

I like alot about climbing, but today I liked that most
 SChriscoli 10 Nov 2016
-Being outdoors
- solving the route
- complete isolation on the rock.
- each problem has to be tackled individually by the climber. Sure you know the route, but the body position, the holds, sometimes the placement can be absolutely unique.
- the only competition is between you and the rock - apart from advice no one can help you.

That feeling you get when your mind and everything is perfect and you nail that route.
Post edited at 20:54
 stp 12 Nov 2016

1. Being part of the climbing community, in a society where community doesn't really exist.
2. Climbing gives me a set of values different and better than the crass materialism of mainstream culture.
3. Climbing provides a strong reason and motivation to stay fit and healthy.

Interestingly none of the above are reasons why I got into climbing or why I continue to do so. They're just side benefits, but very valuable ones I think.
 Dale Berry 13 Nov 2016

Great thread.

For me one of the best things is the getaway from the stresses of the world. The east face of Tryfan all to my self re- soloing one of the classics to find a perfectly hoar frosted piece of heather, that was soon to be melted in the sun was the perfect gift all for me, on a days climbing that will live long in the memory after the ability in the body has faded.
newishclimber 13 Nov 2016

I like the feeling of achievement when it suddenly clicks that if you view things differently you can surpass the insurmountable. It also feels physically good when you've finished the climb. I think also, getting to know people even if they're on a climb near you. Also seeing my children "monkey" up the climb tea fast (usually when Edd refuses to let them down!)
 BrendanO 13 Nov 2016

OP has nailed it for me.

Like the tea-making, sampling of home-baking, or chance to play with stoves and fire too.

Or high-calorie cafe/pub after.
 bensilvestre 13 Nov 2016

Id add to everything else that it allows such a broad range of experience. I can solo a classic hvs on the grit without a t shirt on in the sun,pure pleasure, or i can fight for survival and meet my demons in mousetrap zawn or on a big alpine route, in both cases using more or less the same set of skills

And most importantly, it never ends. I am perpetually interested and motivated to climb, sometimes hard, sometimes easy, but always some. And that gives life a great sense of purpose. This quote sums up how i feel about it

“I think it’s so foolish for people to want to be happy. Happy is so momentary–you’re happy for an instant and then you start thinking again. Interest is the most important thing in life; happiness is temporary, but interest is continuous.” - Georgia o keefe
 elsewhere 13 Nov 2016
You really don't give a .... about whatever was bothering you before you went for a session of climbing indoors/outdoors even if it was after a .... day at work.

Climbing with people I wouldn't have otherwise met.

Friendships.
Post edited at 20:02
 Goucho 13 Nov 2016

The beauty of it.

The beauty of the mountain landscapes, the atmosphere and changing moods.

The beauty of movement and connection with those magnificent wild places.

The beauty of friendships forged in shared adventures and trust.

The beauty of a sunset at Stanage, after a days play, lying in the bracken exhausted with hands covered in gritstone lovebites.

The beauty of a sunrise over the Aguille Verte from a bivi providing the best seat in the house, the sound of the primus humming that first brew of the day, while the early morning light dances on crystals of snow.

The beauty and power of nature. The visceral sting of the wind in your face, as storm clouds gather and the rain chases you back down to the valley.

The beauty of solitude without loneliness.

The beauty of freedom to explore as much or as little as you want.

The beauty of the simple uncomplicated act that climbing is.

The beauty of the memories.

Bulls Crack 13 Nov 2016

The perks.
 AlanLittle 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Will Hunt:

Or when one of your mates sets his first route, at a wall with an online grade voting database, so you all pile in to give it a good serial downgrading.

Coz I like to get high. Drugs would do the job but feel like cheating.

And the wonderful places it takes me.
 Knut R. 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Will Hunt:

Jerry - izzat you?
 Alex Freeman 18 Nov 2016

I would say there's a few reasons why I climb. First would be that I simply enjoy climbing, regardless of being indoors/outdoors, whether there's a good view, or maybe it's a shitty little indoor wall. I enjoy it all the same, in fact I enjoy the dingy indoor walls more than the long outdoor trips since I can climb until my body simply can't pull anymore.

There have been a few times where I've gone out trad climbing and just found myself bored, because I'm not climbing! I dislike standing around, putting gear in, climbing a max of 5 routes a day. I much prefer to be indoors smashing out 30+ routes in a few hours. Probably quite controversial on ukc, but that's just my opinion. (Also yes - this is why I chose my name :p please don't take it as a serious insult or something). I do appreciate that others enjoy trad and the long adventures, but I simply don't.

I also love to see improvement in my climbing, sending projects that were previously impossible for me, etc. This pushes me more towards bouldering, as it's easier for me to train for bouldering! Of course when it comes to grades, it's nice to climb a higher grade, but it's 100% relative to what I personally find hard and easy.

Another possibly controversial opinion, I climb alone as much as I climb with others. In fact some of my most enjoyable climbing has been on my own, with an audiobook, just training. Sure I love climbing with others, but I also appreciate a bit of solitude from time to time. Another reason why I like bouldering! It's either that or free soloing, which... Well I've done it once, but I should probably avoid that.
 pebbles 18 Nov 2016

for the giggles! for being able to do something utterly stupid like a grown up kid, and go " I bet I could get up that" and then try to do it, and for sitting on top of a beautiful place as the sun goes down, tired exhilarated and relaxed, and having a pint with your mates after and talking shite about the day you've had

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...