UKC

NEWS: Pete Dawson adds Something for Nothing 8c to Malham Cove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Nov 2016
Pete Dawson has continued ticking his way through Malham Cove by adding a variation to the finish of Cry Freedom 8b+, graded 8c and named Something for Nothing. Pete recently managed to tick Bat Route 8c on his third go and Unjustified 8b+/c in just two attempts.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item/70790/pete_dawson_adds_something_for_no...
 JLS 11 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

>"Pete recently managed to tick Bat Route 8c on his third go and Unjustified 8b+/c in just two attempts."

Quick ascents are all very nice but it's not really proper sport climbing is it...
I want to hear about the highs, lows and self-doubt of 100 attempts.
This guy needs to pull his finger out and try something hard.
 AlistairB 11 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great achievement by Pete. If I could correct the report a bit, firstly, Cry Freedom is 8c in the new book and I'm not aware of anyone suggesting it goes back down to 8b+. Secondly, the route doesn't "add" on top of Cry Freedom, it's an alternative and harder finish leaving the route rightwards about 2/3rds of the way up. I think it might be a rather tough 8c!
 RupertD 11 Nov 2016
In reply to AlistairB:

> Great achievement by Pete. If I could correct the report a bit, firstly, Cry Freedom is 8c in the new book and I'm not aware of anyone suggesting it goes back down to 8b+.

Well apart from all the people that agreed that it was 8b+ before it was upgraded.

AlistairB 11 Nov 2016
In reply to RupertD:
Well, I know it wasn't unanimous but I think the guidebook grades should be reported. This avoids descending into some kind of 8a.nu style hell where you're never quite sure whose "personal grade" is gospel this week.

Edit: Also, slash grades, just say no.
Post edited at 15:08
 teddy 11 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great work by Pete on the first ascent of this important new line!

From having tried Something for Nothing myself, it is definitely a step up from Cry Freedom, although its worth noting that when it exits that route to go right up the hanging arete, there are still 7 or so awkward, tiring moves up the vague corner to reach the kneebar before the upper crux of Cry Freedom. Therefore, while the crux on Cry Freedom is significantly easier (anything from V6 - V8 depending greatly on your reach), it is higher. This is counterbalanced by the kneebar rest, which is pretty good, depending on how comfortable you are recovering in them. Something for Nothing has no rest before its crux other than the shakeout and heel rest at the tufa on Cry Freedom, just before it leaves that route, which is at best indifferent (depending on how much of an endurance beast you are I guess!)

Time will tell on the grades of these routes. Cry Freedom has to be an easy 8c. I would not object if it went down to 8b+, although it would be the very top of that grade. For me, its certainly way easier than True North at Kilnsey, even taking into account the different style/steepness of the 2 routes. Also, recent hold changes on the upper crux of Cry Freedom in the last few years have made that bit a little easier than it used to be - basically the hold that you go again for with your right hand once you have taken your heel/ toe cam out of the pocket out left is bigger than it used to be (due to the rock crumbling away) and easier to slap to and catch. Also, the first crimp you do the big reach for before the heel/ toe cam goes in (that shorter climbers struggle on) has crumbled a little and got slightly bigger. That said, it all feels desparate when you're pumped out of your brains!

Ed Booth 11 Nov 2016
In reply to teddy: out of interest, which is better out of Cry freedom and Bat Route in terms of seepage and conditions for having as aproject? Cheers Ed

teddy 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:

Bat Route is overall slightly more reliable as it is only the top wall that seeps. Cry Freedom suffers more in the top half of the route and particularly after the crux on the top slab. Don't let that put you off though, there'll be less queues!
Bogwalloper 11 Nov 2016
In reply to teddy:

Who are you?

Wally
In reply to Bogwalloper:

Read the linked story - it's not difficult to figure out.
 Michael Gordon 12 Nov 2016
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

If you know, perhaps you could just type in a name and save others needless detective work?
 jon 12 Nov 2016
In reply to JLS:

> Quick ascents are all very nice but it's not really proper sport climbing is it...
> I want to hear about the highs, lows and self-doubt of 100 attempts.
> This guy needs to pull his finger out and try something hard.

So 'Something for the Weekend?' might have been a better name?

Ed Booth 12 Nov 2016
In reply to teddy:

Great knowledge cheers. And is Cry Freedom overall easier cruxes that Bat Route but just more sustained/endurancey (easier crux but at the top rather than nails bulge in to big stam romp)??
 biscuit 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Ted mentioned in the article and a username of teddy who has good knowledge of the routes in question. I hope I replied in time to save your weekend of fruitless detective work
 teddy 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Ed Booth:

No probs! I found Cry Freedom harder than Bat Route overall. The middle bulge crux on Cry Freedom is not quite as hard as the lower crux on Bat Route but its slightly higher up and has a very awkward clip mid sequence and very poor feet. Very difficult to get through this from the ground (8b) then you've got the real crux at the top! Defo more fitness required on Cry, no massive double kneebar rests or huge jugs (although the kneebar at the top is the saving grace - its not amazing but its something nevertheless. There are 2 hard bits on Cry Freedom plus a harder start (7b+/7c) whereas the top crux on Bat Route I didn't think was as hard as the top of Cry Freedom (especially with my magic wide bridge!)

To those wondering who I am, I am Ted Kingsnorth aka Teddy for the avoidance of doubt!
 Wft 13 Nov 2016
In reply to teddy:

I'm Ted Kingsnorth!

And so's my wife
 Michael Gordon 13 Nov 2016
In reply to teddy:

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...