UKC

Van conversion for Scottish winters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dottie 12 Nov 2016
Hey I know this has been posted about before BUT I still have some questions.

I've just bought a van and looking to convert it into a warm space to sleep during Scottish winters.

As this will mostly be a weekend warrior vehicle and so I don't want to install a kitchen (I am happy enough cooking on my trangia in the rain/snow/cold). Instead want a fixed bed and drying area and have been looking for some inspiration.

Seems like most go for full camper conversion and coming up short on searches for on anyone who has done something similar.

Anyone converted a van, without kitchen, for Scottish winters and willing to share pics/ideas?

For info the van is a Renault Traffic and first step will be to fully insulate with cellotex, then ply line.
 Davidwi 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Dottie:

I'm not expert but a few of the guys at work have converted their vans for various reasons bike racing and snowboarding etc and they all have diesel night heaters!
 LG-Mark 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Dottie:

For long nights and really cold conditions if you want to have a degree of home comforts i think a diesel heater (Webasto or Eberspacher) is a must, as is good lighting.

I have fitted an Eberspacher to my Land Rover camper in the past and it wasn't difficult, my current VW T5 has a Webasto. Both are very similar in performance (toasty )
 bensilvestre 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Dottie:

For drying, hang a washing line above the seats (works best if you dont have a baulk head) and blast your kit with the heaters whilst you drive to the pub. Works a treat.

And get some decent ventilation
 pass and peak 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Dottie:

If your on facebook then join this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/sbcampervans/ any question you can think of already has multiple post. Search for posts, take the knowledge and then just lurk, can be best not to post for fear of been burned at the stake!
BTW insulation is the key! Celotex as much as possible and make window covers from Karimats, also minor ventilation but if you can afford the £450.00 then a propex heater is a god send!
 the power 12 Nov 2016
In reply to Dottie:

Diesel heater
Leisure battery
Good lighting
Vapour barrier between the insulation and plywood
 HeMa 13 Nov 2016
In reply to the power:
> Diesel heater
> Leisure battery
> Good lighting
> Vapour barrier between the insulation and plywood

And ventilation...

hot and humid does not equal dry.

Oh, and if possible a separate "gear"portion at the back with its own ventilation and heater outlet to hang climbing gear to dry...
Post edited at 05:54
 Cheese Monkey 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Dottie:

Diesel heater!!!!!!!! Eberspachers need a decent leisure battery to run them also
In reply to Dottie:

I know you say you want a "fixed bed" but don't forget the long nights! I.e. if you're genuinely just planning on using it for sleeping then fine, but consider even a simple slat/box bed that converts into some form of sofa. Much nicer when you're back from the hill.

To be honest, I don't get the whole idea. If you just want somewhere warm to sleep, get a good sleeping back and Skoda Octavia - most of my mates have similar and sleep in those all the time. The first time you arrive back to the van in hoolie and you have to change outside, or on top of your bed (getting it wet and mucky), then go back outside with your trangia to slowly warming up your dinner while getting colder and wetter again...you'll be wishing you'd even built a micro-kitchen and a small seat area.

However, if you are fixed on a van, the other people's suggestions of a sealed, lined, waterproof drying room with a heater outlet, floor drain and decent ventilation will probably be required.

We have a self converted T4 (bought in the Netherlands to avoid scene tax) with no heating and I wouldn't expect damp clothes to be dry second day on. The floor gets wet and stays wet until we dry it at home with towels, and the cups of tea are very nice

Where are you based, you can have a wee look round sometime if you want?
 Siward 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

A van can be a great thing but my view is that a car sized van, as you say, isn't much better than a car. I have a a LWB hi-top van. This gives me room to get in, change clothes, cook, sit down, lie down, dry things, shove a couple of bikes in if I want, roast a chicken etc etc. No discomfort involved although I'll give you that it isn't the most convenient thing for town parking.
Dottie 14 Nov 2016
In reply to LG-Mark:

Did you install yourself? I am dubious about tapping the fuel line myself.
Dottie 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

So, funny you say that because I actually have a Skoda Octavia and I love it!

We decided on a van as we have two dogs and the idea is to fully insulate and ventilate the back so that for ~3 hours max they can be in the back in summer (read Scottish summer) and winter. Obviously if it is really hot/cold we wouldn't leave them in there and if it doesn't work out being comfortable enough then it is an expensive experiment! They are super chill in vehicles and would benefit from being out in the Highlands for a couple hours at a time and the car is just not practical for them! We couldn't nip into Co-Op on Mull in September because it was too warm in the car!

We are also based in Edinburgh so we plan to get away most weekends and while I've spent many a time sleeping in cars in the Highlands as a student, I want a little more comfort now!

Don't necessarily want to dry stuff but want to keep wet stuff somewhat separate.

I have been thinking a fixed bed might not be the best idea, hard to figure out exactly bed configurations at the minute.

Do you have a built in kitchen then?
Dottie 14 Nov 2016
In reply to pass and peak:

Thanks for the link that page is good for info and a giggle!

A heater is definitely on the shopping list now!
 LG-Mark 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Dottie:

Yes I did the full install myself. Regarding fuel, it's much easier to tee into the return fuel line as it's certain not to be under pressure. The dosing pump is powerful enough to lift fuel to the heater without the line being "pre-primed" by the vehicles own fuel pump.
If you are mechanically handy and can follow a wiring diagram, self install really isn't that difficult.
 gethin_allen 14 Nov 2016
In reply to LG-Mark:

"...Regarding fuel, it's much easier to tee into the return fuel line as it's certain not to be under pressure..."

This really depends on the vehicle, a lot of vehicles have a constant running pump which just returns whatever isn't required by the injectors with a manifold vacuum controlled regulator bolted on the end of the injector rail. At engine idle the return pressure is going to be significant.
If I were planning to tee into the fuel system ideally I'd go for a point post fuel filter but pre pump, although the heater probably has it's own filter in it.
If you have an in-line cartridge style filter at the rear you may even be able to buy the OEM connectors so you can just prep all the lines and clip it all together in a few seconds with no risk of leaks.
Pissing about with fuel is a messy job if you're trying to do it laying on your back with your head under the van, I'd consider getting it done by a pro although at least with it being Diesel there's little chance of blowing yourself up.

Climbpsyched 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Dottie:
Buy a Erberspacher night heater and get it fitted inside your van. Pure luxury. You will pay upto £1200 for supply and fit but you'll be laughing when you're sitting so cosy in very cold conditions. ALso the Erber will blow cold air where as other heaters only do warm so your dogs will be comfortable in the back in warm conditions.
Oh and as it's a Traffic you've got to save a grand for your new injectors you're going to need!
Also remember if you don't do the full conversion with sink, cooker, side window,table and bed then you can't change the logbook to a camper. This can become an issue when you insure it as only some insurance companies will accept a part conversion.
If you want a heater look at PF Jones. You are unlikely to find them cheaper!
Post edited at 23:52
In reply to Dottie:

Sorry for the slow reply!

This is it before we covered the cushions:

https://goo.gl/photos/HP2v1MigQY3Z3FqQ6

And with the bed pulled out:

https://goo.gl/photos/iTX3UfYMSAmhUUCD8

Obviously nothing like what you're be looking for, but maybe some ideas. You could make a very simple fold down cooking area that you used a camping stove on?

If you go back through that album you can see how the (very simple) sofa/bed works.
 chrissloan84 17 Nov 2016
In reply to Dottie:

The other heater option is a gas heater, I have a propex one which is great, and easier to install than diesel. Their smallest one (HS2000) is more than powerful enough and the gas lasts ages. I've used it for a month in a ski resort in winter in a van the same as yours.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...