UKC

First smart phone - problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HB1 12 Nov 2016
Hello all

I've just bought a smartphone, my first, and at the moment I feel it might be my last! It came with a Giffgaff SIM but I don't have a number (I don't want to transfer the no. from my old phone) Anyone able to suggest what I might do?
 girlymonkey 12 Nov 2016
In reply to HB1:

When you say you don't have a number, what do you mean by this? You don't know the number?
Does the sim work when you put it in the phone? If so, call someone else and they will be able to tell you your number
 BigBrother 12 Nov 2016
In reply to HB1:

If the sim came in a seperate pack then the packaging will have the number. Probably on the bit you pressed the sim out from.

If it is an android phone and the sim is in the phone then just go to settings -> About Phone (at the bottom of the settings list) -> Status and your phone number should be listed there.
OP HB1 12 Nov 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

I've done what you suggests already, and it states phone number unknown and mob. network state unconnected. Oh dear!
 girlymonkey 12 Nov 2016
In reply to HB1:

Try going on to the Giffgaff website and see if you need to register the sim before they give you a number?
 girlymonkey 12 Nov 2016
In reply to HB1:

I just looked on their website, this does seem to be the case. I tried to post a link but UKC won't let me, I think they think I am trying to advertise! If you Google search register Giffgaff sim you will find it
 JayPee630 12 Nov 2016
In reply to HB1:

You need to register the Giffgaff number and top-up or buy a plan. You'll need the code the SIM came with. Go to Giffgaff website and follow the instructions.
 ianstevens 12 Nov 2016
In reply to HB1:

> I've done what you suggests already, and it states phone number unknown and mob. network state unconnected. Oh dear!

That's not the phone, it's to do with GiffGaff.
 markAut 12 Nov 2016
In reply to HB1:

It can take anywhere from a few mins to 24 hours to register the SIM.

The giffgaff forums are generally packed with good advice.
 JayPee630 13 Nov 2016
In reply to HB1:

Go and find a young person to help you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...