UKC

Buying Down Equipment in Nepal (Kathmandu or Pokhara)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
czajunia 12 Nov 2016
Hi,

There is quite a lot of general of information on the net regarding buying gear in Nepal so I know what to expect.

However, I have a rather specific question regarding down gear. I am considering getting a 3-season sleeping bag (for light winter, nothing too extreme) with comfort rating around -7C. I was wondering what are the chances of getting a lightweight bag filled with higher quality down, say 800-850 fill power, in Nepal? For obvious reasons I am considering local brands not the big names.

I know that generally it's possible to find good quality down products in Kathmandu that will last a few years but from what I know they are quite heavy as they generally use cheaper (hence less fluffy) down. As this isn't a bag for just one trip I don't mind spending extra to save weight. And there is pretty much the same question regarding down jackets.

What do you think? Has anyone had any luck with similar purchase in Nepal? Do the products sold there have any details regarding the weight and down fill power?

Many thanks for your input.
 scoth 12 Nov 2016
In reply to czajunia:

When I was over there two years ago I bought a 'Mammut' down sleeping bag (good for -20) from Pokhara and a North 'Fake' jacket from KTM. Even though neither are legit both have been great value. Unless you actually go to the brand shops I found you have to take the labels with a pinch of salt and use your own judgement, (there's actually as street in KTM that sell the labels). However if you're prepared to spend some time searching I'm sure you will come accross some gems, (i was there for 5 months so had time). If money is no object then I'd reccommend the 'Sherpa' gear, have shops in both Pok and KTM.
czajunia 12 Nov 2016
In reply to herrettscott:

Do you know how heavy is bag and do you remember how much you paid for it (roughly)? I would imagine it was somewhere in $50-70 territory. I don't care about brand names to be honest and am aware the cheaper products are not genuine. The main factor for me here is the weight which is directly related to the down quality. Plus the quality of finished product as it needs to last a few years.

If money was no object I probably wouldn't be posting this question here. BTW, does Sherpa make sleeping bags? I couldn't find any on their web site.
 jezb1 12 Nov 2016
In reply to czajunia:

I'd rather know where my down is coming from. The thought of animals being plucked whilst alive doesn't sit well with me..
 Damo 13 Nov 2016
In reply to czajunia:

I've bought a mid-weight down jacket and two sleeping bags in KTM. Like most of the non-genuine stuff there, they're fine for non-extreme use and much cheaper, so therefore decent value.

I doubt you'll get 850 down in anything. My guess is the best is around 700 and I wouldn't trust any external logo or wording as to the down quality, just as I would ignore the fake name - it's meaningless.

Just look at the bag - the *individual bag*, as QC is poor an all items are slightly different - and decide on THAT bag, whether it's suitable or not. You'll have to go to three or four shops to compare, if not more.
czajunia 13 Nov 2016
In reply to jezb1:

Good point but sadly I am fairly certain there is no way to trace origin of down in such cheap products. We can probably just hope for the best. And I guess we could always take this conversation further and ask ourselves whether it's actually ethical to use down at all.

In reply to Damo:
Thanks for your input. That's what I thought that getting higher quality down fill can be a bit problematic in Nepal. I may just get a sleeping bag here and maybe see if I can find a nice jacket when I get there. I am not going for long so wouldn't want to waste my time shopping.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...