UKC

Repair advice - A mouse has eaten my down jacket...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jwhepper 13 Nov 2016
Recently a mouse has decided to steal some of the down from my mountain equipment vega jacket. It was definitely a mouse as it has left unmistakable evidence inside the coat, little sh*t.

There is one major hole and many small holes in the affected area:
http://imgur.com/a/dysgX

I have attached pictures with a ruler for scale. The shiny coating is clingfilm which I have temporarily stuck over the affected areas to prevent even more down escaping.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to repair this, possibly with three long rectangular patches to totally block in the down?

As it is on the inside of the coat (and I'm a bit of a cheapskate) I was wondering whether I could use gorilla tape or PSP spinnaker tape to repair it? They are fairly major rips however and I'm not sure whether this would be the best idea as it would be fairly irreversible...

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!
 Phil1919 13 Nov 2016
In reply to jwhepper:
At our indoor market in Kendal they have a sewing/needlework/ homemaking stand. I have twice bought patches of lightweight sticky fabric which I have used to repair waterproof trouser bottoms that have been caught in the chain of my bike. I have been really impressed by the job they do. On one pair it is very difficult to see the patch, albeit the patch and trousers are black. £2.50 a go. Just an idea.
Post edited at 14:14
 bouldery bits 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

As a Kendal resident I will remember that one - thanks!

To the OP - my old downy is covered in blue gaffa tape.
 Goucho 13 Nov 2016
In reply to jwhepper:

> Recently a mouse has decided to steal some of the down from my mountain equipment vega jacket. It was definitely a mouse as it has left unmistakable evidence inside the coat, little sh*t.

> There is one major hole and many small holes in the affected area:

> I have attached pictures with a ruler for scale. The shiny coating is clingfilm which I have temporarily stuck over the affected areas to prevent even more down escaping.

> I was wondering whether it would be possible to repair this, possibly with three long rectangular patches to totally block in the down?

> As it is on the inside of the coat (and I'm a bit of a cheapskate) I was wondering whether I could use gorilla tape or PSP spinnaker tape to repair it? They are fairly major rips however and I'm not sure whether this would be the best idea as it would be fairly irreversible...

> Anyone got any ideas?

> Thanks!

If you're not bothered about the appearance - and you say, it's on the inside anyway - gaffa tape will fix it.
 phizz4 13 Nov 2016
 Timmd 13 Nov 2016
In reply to jwhepper:
I guess you could buy some grey fabric from Pennine Outdoors or Point North, and sit down one evening and carefully sew some rectangles over the holes if you're not sure about unreversible sticky stuff?

In the past I've done a simple 'up and down stitch, like this,_ _ _ _ around the edge, and then gone around again sewing over the gaps so it's like a continuous line, before carefully super-gluing along the thread to stop anything undoing.

It's quite restful if nothing else.
Post edited at 20:19
 Timmd 13 Nov 2016
In reply to jwhepper:

Tenacious tape might work too.
 jethro kiernan 13 Nov 2016
In reply to jwhepper:
Had the same problem with a PHD sleeping bag, tenacious tape and spinnaker tape did the job okay, well enough for me to put it through the washing machine and tumble drier with some down wash.
 Greasy Prusiks 13 Nov 2016
In reply to jwhepper:

I've got this image of a mouse that lives indoors but has a mountain equipment nest. I bet all his outdoor mates take the mickey (excuse the pun) for having all the kit despite living in a nice warm cupboard.

Ps. I'd go for some sort of glue on tape. If anyone asks just say you got clawed by a yeti or something.
 Mike-W-99 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Timmd:
Tenacious tape is what I'd use as well.
I'd also put measures in place to make sure the mouse is never coming back.
Post edited at 22:18
 gethin_allen 14 Nov 2016
In reply to jwhepper:

I tried repairing crampon holes in some trousers with tenacious tape but found it pealed off quite quickly. The answer was a fabric patch glued on with storm grip/seam grip urethane glue.
OP jwhepper 14 Nov 2016
In reply to jwhepper:

Having had a look at the spinnaker tape, I'll try that first. If it doesn't work I'll either sew a patch on or find someone who can do it more neatly than me.

Cheers for your help everyone, really appreciate it!
OP jwhepper 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Haha I have to admit I was quite concerned the little bugger might still be in the coat somewhere...
Lusk 14 Nov 2016
In reply to jwhepper:

Any of the advice above should do.
And get a cat.
Removed User 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Lusk:

>And get a cat.

But don't let it sleep on/in the jacket.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...