UKC

Planet earth 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hmmm, those ibex are a bit handy on that sandstone.
 mountainbagger 13 Nov 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Recording it as I'm making the wife's b*****d tea (see other thread for context!).

I absolutely love this programme and David Attenborough in equal measure. A perfect blend of documentary-making technology and passion for nature. Restores my faith in the world. I will undoubtedly have to watch Strictly first (by fast-forwarding through pretty much all of it), but I can't wait for it later on!
In reply to mountainbagger:

I wont reveal any spoilers then but in short, feckin awesome.
 chris bedford 13 Nov 2016

OK, so where's that 'summit shelter' the two paragliders stayed overnight (last 5 mins of the programme...)?
 thermal_t 13 Nov 2016

Documentary making at its absolute finest.
 JMarkW 13 Nov 2016
In reply to thermal_t:
Outstanding in every possible way!

Cheers
Mark
Post edited at 21:01
 TobyA 13 Nov 2016

John the camera man on the tandem is John who's top photos are here on UKC and he started writing gear reviews for UKC about the same time I did. http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=15737
 Kevster 13 Nov 2016

I liked the pole dancing scenes.
 Tall Clare 13 Nov 2016
In reply to TobyA:

I thought that might be him! That bit was great. Well the whole thing was great, but I do like the bit where they explain how they've done it. The cameraman waiting in the shelter for 100 hours to get that footage of the golden eagles looked chuffed to bits!
 cankerblossom 13 Nov 2016
In reply to TobyA:

unplanned landing - polite way of saying 'did we just crash'
In reply to Kevster:

Bear necessities, those simple bear necessities..........
 hairyRob 13 Nov 2016

The bear needs to team up with a snow leopard and form a Jungle book tribute act.
 Chris Harris 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Kevster:

> I liked the pole dancing scenes.

Not to mention the Snow Leopards showing their opinion of boulders...
 BusyLizzie 13 Nov 2016
I felt every sympathy with the little ibex who was a bit scared of going downhill!
Post edited at 21:52
 Tall Clare 13 Nov 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:
I liked the flamingos who looked like glamorous women in short dresses and high heels, occasionally falling over...
Post edited at 21:57
 Yanis Nayu 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Style it out girls...

The bear scratching made me cry with laughter.
 Chris Harris 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> I liked the flamingos who looked like glamorous women in short dresses and high heels, occasionally falling over...

I'm not one to anthropomorphise, but I couldn't help but wonder if the flamingos were thinking "F*ck it" every time they went through the ice.
pasbury 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yes my kids were particularly amused by the flamingos. And then the snow leopards footage blew them away!
 Purple 13 Nov 2016

> Hmmm, those ibex are a bit handy on that sandstone.

Yeah, but what have they done on grit?
 Trangia 14 Nov 2016

> Hmmm, those ibex are a bit handy on that sandstone.

And their hooves have a soft inner bit with more grip than climbing boots.

Boreal's research lab will be onto this.....
 james.slater 14 Nov 2016

In the end section where they go 'behind the scenes' they showed us how they got the 'diving eagle' footage. But im sure there were scenes with an actual eagles head in the shot, as if it was wearing a gopro?! They didnt mention anything about that, did someone capture a golden eagle and give it a helmet, or was that a paraglider holding a stuffed toy? No criticisms of the show, absolutely love it, just blew my mind when they showed that footage and it was never explained!
 Greasy Prusiks 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Trangia:

If my boreals are anything to go by then they'll be more interested in those penguins last week.
 Lemony 14 Nov 2016
In reply to james.slater:

This has been done a few times before, here for example: youtube.com/watch?v=G3QrhdfLCO8&
 james.slater 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Lemony:

That is very cool, love it when you can see the eagles eyes as he turns his head, but is that a domesticated eagle? Surely putting a camera on a wild Golden Eagle (which the show seemed to suggest) is a whole different, and possibly questionable activity?
 lummox 14 Nov 2016

I was thinking the same !
 Lemony 14 Nov 2016
They'd never put a camera into a wild eagle for obvious ethical reasons so I guess they take a tame eagle up to the positions where they filmed those shots.
Post edited at 09:37
 mark s 14 Nov 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> John the camera man on the tandem is John who's top photos are here on UKC and he started writing gear reviews for UKC about the same time I did. http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=15737

I didnt know that

no surprise thats the number 1 gallery. stunning images
 mark s 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Purple:

> Yeah, but what have they done on grit?

is this comment the ukc equivalent of godwins law?
 drunken monkey 14 Nov 2016

the footage of the eagles in the alps was incredible.
cap'nChino 14 Nov 2016
In reply to mark s:

> I didnt know that

> no surprise thats the number 1 gallery. stunning images

Talented man indeed, finds the time to do all that adventure stuff and mix it in with his job. Good stuff.
 KP 15 Nov 2016

Fell asleep shortly after the bears due to a real horror of a hangover, but can't wait to catch up on iplayer after work. Truly astounding camera work, and so interesting! Those bears were utterly hilarious.
Bellie 15 Nov 2016

I was surprised the venerable Sir Attenborough was referring to them as the Himalayas, and not the correct term Himalaya.

Or am I being picky?
 Luke90 15 Nov 2016

When they showed the paragliders at the end, I wondered whether that footage with the eagle's head in was paraglider footage with the head CGId in. Not sure.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...