UKC

could I accurately measure ring finger size from photo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 13 Nov 2016
posting anon since asking about ring sizes.

Do you think if I got a photo of a girl holding a recognisable object in her left hand, e.g. can of coke or newspaper, and I knew the exact size of the object then I could accurately measure her ring finger size to 0.1mm??!

Sounds hair brained but this is the best I've got so far for a lady that doesn't own a single ring and would be immediately suspicious of any ring based talk.
 Luke90 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

If she doesn't own a single ring, are you sure she wants one?!
123hereisme 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Luke90:

yeah man pretty confident!
 Tall Clare 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

No - but many (not all) rings can be resized, so if there's a ring you really want her to have, you could always go ahead anyway. Failing that, use a substitute (ring pull equivalent) and find a 'proper' one later. If she's not a big jewellery person she won't be bothered that you don't have 'the' ring to accompany your proposal.
 mrphilipoldham 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:
You could:

- Get her to hold your hand, then on release keep your hand in that pose until the next convenient time to measure the gap between your fingers
- Pretend you're going to have a baby and engage in some childish past times such as hand printing with paint, then wait until it's dry and pounce with your ruler
- Leave talc power on a regularly palmed surface, then sneak back in the middle of the night to measure
Post edited at 21:21
 BusyLizzie 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Much aggro may be avoided if you let her choose her own ring!!
 ed woods 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

I got around this by the jeweller making a wax replica of the intended design - his idea. You have something to use, and she gets a say on the ring, win-win. Probably quite a common thing for them to do
 Greasy Prusiks 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

0.1mm is really precise I'd be surprised if you could get that accurate.

Trial run using your or a mates finger then check against a conventional measurement?
Crackstone Rib 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Get a ring for the proposal, then go and get a proper one fitted later. She can have the ring she wants then, plus it's unique.
I proposed with a ring my great grandmother owned. It didn't fit but the intention was clear! We went to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham and had the stones reset into a new ring. No more expensive than a new ring, and my wedding ring is made from the same lump of metal.

Good luck I hope it's a brilliant day
 La benya 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

If you can manage this, I think you've just created a very interesting start up company. I can imagine quite a lot of business for this.
 SenzuBean 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Get a small selection of various diameter copper pipes - claim you stored some secret money inside each pipe but your finger has become too fat to push the money back out, and maybe she can help you.
In reply to Anonymous:

> Do you think if I got a photo of a girl holding a recognisable object in her left hand, e.g. can of coke or newspaper, and I knew the exact size of the object then I could accurately measure her ring finger size to 0.1mm??!

The shape of a finger changes size by a lot more than 0.1mm when you flex it, it also gets larger with temperature or exercise. Fingers aren't exactly circular so one measurement isn't enough and she might like the ring to compress the finger slightly . If you wanted to size a ring correctly from a photo then you'd need to take account of these factors to go from the basic measurement of the width of the finger to the optimal ring diameter. I'm not sure it is possible because how tight you want a ring to sit is a matter of personal taste.

WildCamper 13 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

You can get a key cut from a pic so i dont see why not
Jim C 13 Nov 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Much aggro may be avoided if you let her choose her own ring!!

That is my tactic, I let my now wife select everything, so no returns, no hassle .
( but hard to know what that will cost you for that Christmas , birthday or anniversary present, as part of the deal is you don't ask, but it's been worth it for nearly 4 decades of peace of mind that I don't have to remember events , or try to choose anything.
abseil 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> ....I let my now wife select everything...

Jim, you've discovered my secret to long life, peace, and happiness. My letting includes airlines, flights, hotels, and restaurants.
 Sharp 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Cant you use a pair of vernier calipers to measure her finger when she's asleep?
 ianstevens 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Incredibly easy.

1) Get this: https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/ - it's free and designed for measuring cells in microscope slides. However, it will work for anything with a set scale.

2) Use the line selection tool to draw a line over the object of known size (e.g. the coke can), then in the menu go to Analyze -> set scale. Put the known distance in the relevant field and change the units accordingly. Check the "global" box.

3) Use the line tool to measure the object you wish to measure (the finger). Draw along it, and use the measure tool via pressing Ctrl + M on the keyboard. This will bring up a pop up telling you the length in cm.

Best of luck!

jkarran 14 Nov 2016
In reply to WildCamper:

> You can get a key cut from a pic so i dont see why not

Keys are a simple shape. It's easy to determine which are taller or shorter than the others, those heights are quantised, not continuously variable and in fixed positions along the key's length so after determining which are tall/medium/short all you need is the standard height and spacing for those bumps on that type of key.

OP: You won't get 0.1mm accuracy from a snapshot especially not one taken surreptitiously. Unless you know what you're doing you'd be lucky to get diameter within a mm. As others have said, get a token you're sure will go on or that doesn't have to. Alternatively, get an oversize ring that can be reduced.
jk
Post edited at 09:02
 Clarence 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Better to get a cheap ring gauge off tinterweb and try them on her while she is asleep. If she wakes up just make wavy motions and say "wooo, this is all a dream, go back to sleep and forget everything".
baron 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

An experienced jeweller will measure your finger using a device (no idea what it's called) and even then there can be some leeway in the actual size depending on tightness/looseness of fit desired.
And you want to do this from a photo?
 Hooo 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

When I bought an engagement ring, I got it slightly oversized (guessed by holding her finger and comparing to one of mine). Once she'd accepted we got it resized by the jeweller. The resizing was included in the price, and this is common practice as far as I'm aware.
It's best to go oversized, as she can wear it immediately and I think it's easier for the jeweller to cut a piece out than to stretch it.
 timjones 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

> posting anon since asking about ring sizes.

> Do you think if I got a photo of a girl holding a recognisable object in her left hand, e.g. can of coke or newspaper, and I knew the exact size of the object then I could accurately measure her ring finger size to 0.1mm??!

> Sounds hair brained but this is the best I've got so far for a lady that doesn't own a single ring and would be immediately suspicious of any ring based talk.

Get the proposal out of the way and then get the finger measured properly.

It's about so much more than just a ring.
 JJL 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Yaaaaay! Yay for you!!

As for the question, no idea. Probably not I'd have thought.

Yaaay for you though!
 BoulderGoat 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Another one to add to the while they're asleep list:

Use a strip of paper maybe? Easy to unwrap and scrunch up if they wake up. Worse case you give them a paper cut and blame your nail.

In reply to Anonymous:

Take a jubilee clip and a screwdriver with you when you propose. That way you can adjust for size yourself, have something to remember the event by and your newly betrothed can choose a ring with you at a later date.

Alternatively if your intended is a climber (and if so, let's all hope she isn't looking at this), then get some accessory cord and learn how to tie a flower knot, perhaps with something to loop around a finger. Unusual and could be kept for, hopefully, ever after to remind you of the event.

T.
 Morty 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

> would be immediately suspicious of any ring based talk.

Are you sure she's the girl for you?

I'd be having doubts...

Removed User 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Have you searched for the answer on the internet? There must be some info or pictures on there. Try entering "Pictures of rings", or "Find me the perfect ring".
In reply to Clarence:

> If she wakes up just make wavy motions and say "wooo, this is all a dream, go back to sleep and forget everything".

For extra plausibility, dress up in some weird costume...
 RobOggie 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

"...and your newly betrothed can choose a ring with you at a later date."

Have you taken leave of your senses man?! Allowing a woman to choose a ring will lead to a note of 'you're only going to be buying it once' which leads to a very expensive shopping trip!
 MrJared 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Could you not ask one of her friends to find out for you?
 Wainers44 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

Bit radical, but if it really must fit, arrange to stage an awful disc cutter/ chain saw/ guillotine type accident? Take the severed finger to the jewellers for sizing while the ambulance drives to A&E, meet them there later for reattachment?

One of my better ideas I think....
Anonymouse1123 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Anonymous:

OP here... thanks for all the responses. I think my personal favourites are the vernier calipers in the night, the old money stuck down a tube and the getting the friend to try on the old aunt's rings.

However I think I have come up with the ultimate plan....on our next trip to a shopping/town centre I sneak ahead/away and run into a nearby jewellery store where I ask the friendly shop assistant to stand outside with a clip board and pretend to be running a competition to win a piece of jewellery, all we need is your ring size and email address - why not come inside for a free ring sizing?

Meanwhile I pretend to feign boredom/disinterest etc., I could even say I'll meet you later and surreptitiously get the friendly shop assistant to email me!

It's so shrewd I might apply for MI6. Who knew there would be so much deceit involved in this act of dedication!
 krikoman 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Trial run using your or a mates finger

This advice got me into all sorts of trouble.
 krikoman 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> Have you searched for the answer on the internet? There must be some info or pictures on there. Try entering "Pictures of rings", or "Find me the perfect ring".

I like, estimating your ring size with your finger.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...