UKC

Kelsey Kerridge (Cambridge) this Weds?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brodes 14 Nov 2016
I’m a chap in his early forties, Cambridge-based, and getting back into climbing after a long break. I hear that the local club (thecccc.org.uk) go to Kelsey Kerridge on Weds, followed by a pint. Is this so? Are any forumites going? If so – please let me know. It would be great to know a couple of names before I turn up.

In my youff at university I used to do a fair bit of 'trad' climbing. Twas a varied mix of sandstone sea cliffs (Scotland), Southern Sandstone, font, peak gritstone quarries (Hobson Moore, Tintwistle Knarr), and a few outings to limestone (Pembroke, Che Dale). My sole experience of 'sport' climbing was a fun week of clipping bolts in les calanques near Cassis. <10 climbing wall visits in total. Ability wise - I was comfortable leading E1 5b/c on anything but weathered gritstone (e.g. Stanage), which scared me. Pembroke was my favourite place ever, and I still harbour ambitions to climb out of Huntsman's Leap. I never had any formal training - just picked it up as I went along from the older guys.

Then I graduated, joined the professional world, married, had children, and haven't climbed a rockface since. At the ripe old age of 42, after 2 decades of sitting at various desks, I now want to get back into climbing. My children will love it. My wife is keen too, having been in a climbing club for a while in her twenties, although she never ventured onto real rock.

So – I’d love to hear from Cambridge-based climbers, especially if you are heading to the wall on Weds night!

Steven
 Ramblin dave 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Brodes:

Hi!

Yes, we normally have a crowd down there on Wednesday from eightish, and head off for a pint at about ten.

We might be a bit thin on the ground this week, though, because a lot of us will be going to a Mick Fowler talk:
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~grg/fowler/
OP Brodes 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Thanks - that looks like a good talk. Are people heading to the Free Press after the talk?
 BoulderGoat 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Brodes:

The wall reopens at 5pm on Wednesday after the route set so it will probably be pretty busy anyway. People are usually quite friendly so I'd be surprised if you didn't find someone there to chat to/climb with.
 JEF 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Brodes:
You might think this is to far, but the Grafham Climbing Club meet Tuesday and Wednesday 7pm - 9.30pm at the Grafham Water Centre (in Perry not Grafham).
We also do crag trips 'in season', bouldering this weekend in the Peak. Previously we've been to Symonds Yat, Peak District and cater for all levels.
 LovelyMrTom 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Brodes:

Just had to look up where the lecture actually is and we may make it to the Free Press but I can also see us getting distracted by the Old Bicycle Shop on Regent Street instead. As has been said by others, there are usually plenty of friendly people at the wall. I started out by meeting the CCCC at the wall/pub having no climbing background at all and going from there.

I know what you mean about ambitions for Huntsman's Leap, being able to do just one route there would scratch that itch..... I hope!
OP Brodes 16 Nov 2016
In reply to LovelyMrTom:

Thanks for the replies. I've booked a ticket for the talk, so perhaps I'll see you there this evening. I'll be looking conspicuously smart in a suit (dark blue) - I'd welcome the chance to chat with any club members, so please do say hello.

Steven

OP Brodes 17 Nov 2016
In reply to LovelyMrTom:

This is just to say thanks to the CCCC for the beers and conversation after the Mick Fowler talk. A friendly club - I'll be seeing you again soon. Perhaps with my other half in tow.

Steven

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...