UKC

NEWS: Ondra starts final push on the Dawn Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Nov 2016
Dawn Wall Topo, 2 kbAdam Ondra has started his attempt on the Dawn Wall. He started climbing at 3am on 14th November and plans to use the next two days to climb the first 13 pitches. From then he will use a forecasted rainy day to rest, before using 'perfect' conditiond for the crux pitches on day...

Read more
 bensilvestre 14 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Fingers crossed he smashes it
 BedRock 14 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

this is as exciting as the first ascent!
 SimonDKemp 14 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

geezer. Go, Adam.
pasbury 15 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

"Should Adam be successful, it will undoubtedly be one of the most impressive ascents of all time and underline how versatile he is on rock."

Agreed; inspiring stuff!
 JLS 16 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:
P10, P11 & P12 done yesterday...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BM3Sz9QhZm9/
I believe today is a planned rest day... then the hard stuff awaits.
Post edited at 09:46
 1poundSOCKS 16 Nov 2016
In reply to JLS:

Says he's at the start of pitch 14. So has he done 13 also?
 JLS 16 Nov 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Yes, my mistake, I guess he has done P13 also. He talks about needing four tries on P12 (5.14b), so it's reasonable to assume the 5.13b P13 didn't given him any trouble and was done as planned.
 jon 16 Nov 2016
In reply to JLS:

Worrying though (for future aspirants) that he needed four tries on the 14b because he broke holds.
 JLS 16 Nov 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Incidentally, where did he say he was at the start of P14?
 JLS 16 Nov 2016
In reply to jon:

I'm sure Ashima will figure it out.
 1poundSOCKS 16 Nov 2016
In reply to JLS:
On Instagram, had to find it on my phone, work seems to block links given on here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM3SbIJg2K1/
Post edited at 10:46
 James Malloch 16 Nov 2016
In reply to JLS:

> Incidentally, where did he say he was at the start of P14?

On his own instagram.
 Pete Dangerous 16 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Strange. I can't find any coverage of this on the US media channels. Ondra smashing this out in a month rather than 7 years is just the kind of good news they need right now
 JLS 16 Nov 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Cheers.
 stp 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Dangerous:

Yeah agreed. I couldn't see anything on Climbing about it at all recently. Very strange.

Rock & Ice have an article from a couple of days ago...

http://www.rockandice.com/climbing-news/final-push-adam-ondra-blasts-up-fir...
 Simon Caldwell 16 Nov 2016

He's foreign. They're probably waiting at the top to deport him in case he's a Muslimic.
pasbury 16 Nov 2016
I think they have other things on their minds at the mo.
Post edited at 13:36
 stp 17 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

He posted a detailed report on the Black Diamond Facebook page:

“It should have been a rather easy day with only four pitches to do, but it turned out to be the opposite. We started in late afternoon, when the wall was getting into the shade. I must admit that I felt the pressure. I hate pitch 10 (5.14a, but I would almost say 5.14b). It is all laybacking—smearing your feet against nothing (sometimes wet nothing)—and the harder you try, the harder it gets. I knew it would be good to send the pitch first go, which almost worked out. I had my face at the belay, but I wanted to move my foot more right and stand up onto the no-hands rest. And somehow—I still do not know how it happened—I was in the air. Devastating. The pitch always gets progressively more wet. And it did. The middle section turned much harder due to wet footholds (some holds are perma-wet on this pitch). I was nervous as hell, climbed quite poorly, but my determination was stronger and I somehow made it up to the belay! I was very relieved!

“I was pretty sure I could finish the schedule of the day. The next pitch is a hard stemming corner at 5.13c, but fortunately, no mistakes on this pitch. Pitch 12 is the Molar Traverse at 5.14b. It is one of the hardest pitches on the whole route (French 8c), but I never found this pitch very hard. Mainly because the crux is just a powerful boulder problem, which fit my style, and the rest of the pitch is technical, though not too bad. But it turned really epic. On my first go I fell off two meters from the anchor, because a little crystal broke. The next go, I slipped on the same move even though I was relaxed, very careful and focused. On my third go, I fell on the lower boulder problem. It was obvious that I had to send the pitch next go, otherwise I would be stuck! I entered the zone, focused, and despite the fatigue I fired it off.

“Pitch 13 (5.13b) was quite OK—one of the few pitches that doesn’t feel sandbagged:-D

“All in all, it was pretty good training! Climbing basically five times 5.14b = 8c (if you count pitch ten as 5.14b). Not a bad day at the crag. Hopefully I will make use of this training Thursday on the crux pitches, after taking a rest-day on Wednesday.”

–BD Ambassador Adam Ondra, November 16, 2016.
 James FR 18 Nov 2016
In reply to UKC News:

From Adam Ondra's Instagram account this morning:

"Damn! Climbed super poorly, so much pressure, so nervous! Needed 7 tries to make it through the first boulderproblem on pitch 14, a boulderproblem that i never really found very hard before, but somehow felt really hard today. I slipped on my first try, then on my second try, then just freaked out and felt so insecure with my feet trying to climb as carefully as possible but kept slipping nevertheless. Then, on my 7th try, I did the boulderproblem, and fell from the last move.
Hard to find some optimism, but I will try it again tomorrow and hopefully with better mindset.
Thanks everyone for encouragement! I am sorry for today, hopefully there is still the chance!"
 john arran 18 Nov 2016
In reply to James FR:

It's somehow reassuring to know that even the most superhuman among us has moments (in this case I hope and expect very temporary ones) of human weakness.
 Mick Ward 18 Nov 2016
In reply to john arran:

Totally agree. It's pretty much impossible for us to relate to the technical horrors of the Dawn Wall. But we can all relate to human frailty - even/especially from the greatest.

> I am sorry for today...

He's putting in arguably the finest effort in the entire history of rock-climbing and he's sorry for letting us down! Sometimes people's humility brings tears to your eyes.

There must be so many of us all around the world wishing him well with what he's doing.

Mick

jon 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

I thought he was on a rest day - did he get impatient?

Does make me feel marginally better about my own dismal performance yesterday, though...!

James FR 18 Nov 2016
In reply to jon:

I think he climbed pitches 1-13 on Monday & Tuesday, then Wednesday was the rest day and the plan was to start the 'hard' section (pitch 14) on Thursday.
 jon 18 Nov 2016
In reply to James FR:

Oh OK, I must have been asleep!
 Robert Durran 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> He's putting in arguably the finest effort in the entire history of rock-climbing and he's sorry for letting us down! Sometimes people's humility brings tears to your eyes.

I think it would be a bit disappointing if he wasn't finding it properly hard. I hope he succeeds but has to really fight for it.
 Matt Vigg 18 Nov 2016
In reply to James FR:

He can't be making it easier for himself tweeting his progress, must seriously add to the pressure. Obviously this isn't an ascent you can keep secret but it must be pretty weird knowing the whole climbing world is following you so closely. Guess that's what pays the bills though!
 stp 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:

Seems like you're dead right. Today's post:

Damn! Climbed super poorly, so much pressure, so nervous! Needed 7 tries to make it through the first boulderproblem on pitch 14, a boulderproblem that i never really found very hard before, but somehow felt really hard today. I slipped on my first try, then on my second try, then just freaked out and felt so insecure with my feet trying to climb as carefully as possible but kept slipping nevertheless. Then, on my 7th try, I did the boulderproblem, and fell from the last move.

Hard to find some optimism, but I will try it again.

Tomorrow and hopefully with better mindset.

Thanks everyone for encouragement! I am sorry for today, hopefully there is still the chance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...