UKC

New Good Quality Camera bag For Mountain Use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cammy 14 Nov 2016
Hi all, I’ve checked back about a year and don’t see any other posts addressing my issue.

I’m looking for some help in sourcing a new camera bag/rucksack combo. I’ve had a good look online and not really finding what I’m looking for, the best solution I’ve come up with so far is the f-stopper range which I’m aware has a very good reputation but not sure even that covers the bases I’m looking for.

What I’m looking for:
1. A fully waterproof bag, not something which relies on a separate rain cover because once the rain cover is in use the tripod carrying systems can’t be used.
2. A bag that can be used in a mountain environment, so has a good load carrying system.
3. A bag with enough space in the camera section to carry (at least) one professional (DSLR), around four lenses (though nothing super long), three speedlights complete with radio triggers, the usual array of NDs, Grads, Polariser etc, laptop would be a bonus but I can certainly live without it.
4. A bag with enough space in the non-camera section to carry enough kit for a full winters day on the hill / possibly overnight camping kit.
5. Externally ice axe attachment points as well as the ability to carry a full sized tripod would be very nice but not holding my breath for that.

I suspect the answer may be that my bag just doesn’t exist (I don’t know why because I can’t be the only one willing to spend money on this) but I thought I’d give a couple of forums a try before settling on something which doesn’t quite do the job.

Cheers,
Cameron.
 Jon Read 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Cammy:

I think you're right -- it doesn't exist as far as I know. Points 4 and 5 are the killers, as most photographers rarely seem to go more than 10 yards from the car as far as I can see. Also, I find none of the photography bags have back systems anything like as comfortable or as lightweight as proper rucksacks.

You best best might be to work on carrying you camera kit in a smaller bag or zoomster case wrapped in a waterproof bag inside a proper rucksack.

If it helps, I use this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00KNIBBAC/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8...
inside this
http://www.rockandice.com/climbing-pack-review/black-diamond-speed-55-pack-...
for overnight mountain photography trips. If it's going to rain, I stuff the insert into a drybag.
 mrphilipoldham 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Cammy:

F-Stop bags are specifically designed for mountain use.. I don't own any myself as I use ThinkTank stuff for work (non-mountain use) but they seem to get a good rep! That said, I was given one of their memory card holders as a freebie when they first launched which has done everything I've asked of it

fstopgear.com
In reply to Cammy:

F-Stop bags are specifically designed for mountain use.. I don't own any myself as I use ThinkTank stuff for work (non-mountain use) but they seem to get a good rep! That said, I was given one of their memory card holders as a freebie when they first launched which has done everything I've asked of it

http://fstopgear.com
 london_huddy 14 Nov 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:
They've developed a bit of a reputation recently, and not for the best:
https://fstoppers.com/business/f-stop-gear-fails-deliver-camera-bags-time-a...

To the Op: I have an insert that I put into my main pack. A huge camera pack would be a bit of a one trick pony.
Post edited at 19:28
In reply to london_huddy:

How unfortunate!
 richprideaux 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Cammy:

The MindShift Gear bags are interesting - I had a brief fondle of one at a trade show a few weeks back. The waistbelt/toploader thing seems to work and the build quality looks good enough, but I'd want to try it over a longer period before commenting further.

It would probably fail on the fully waterproof part of the spec, and your gear list might be a bit ambitious with full winter kit, but if you were clever with the packing you might do it.

This was the video we shot with the importer (please excuse the cheesiness):

youtube.com/watch?v=NxN3RxO_CO0&
 jethro kiernan 14 Nov 2016
In reply to Cammy:
I decided there was no bag that did any of this, I went for a second hand Lowe Pro Nova, it fitted every thing you described and is the exact dimensions to fit neatly at the top of my lowe alpine rucksack essentially becoming a re moveable photo compartment for my rucksack , I'm covered for winter landscape photography using this and it only cost me £12 of eBay I have previously used a lowe pro dry zone rucksack but never really got on with it, I find the present system really flexible
Post edited at 20:28
In reply to Cammy:

F-Stop's Sukha model (70 litres) I believe fits your criteria most closely. I take a multitude of camera equipment and summit camping gear in a Satori model (62 litres). The newer models are, they say, more waterproof.

F-Stop are having their problems customer service-wise, it has to be said. I didn't have any problems. Yours and others mileage may vary.
 Adam Long 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Cammy:

After working my way through most of the alternatives I ended up with an F-stop Satori. After waiting six weeks or so for delivery I sent an enquiry and it was dispatched the next day. So I get the impression they'll leave you waiting until you ask.

Good news is it fits pretty all your criteria. Big, comfy to carry and very quick access which are my main concerns. It isn't massive though, if you wanted to carry camping kit you'd need to drop at least a lens and a flash or two. With an XL ICU and my large format kit there isn't much room left for more than a waterproof and lunch. The other ICU I've got - large slope - leaves a bit more room but is about the same capacity as a Lowe Mini Trekker - i.e. your kit would be a squeeze.

The outside sheds rain well, but I don't think any rucksacs are properly waterproof so I tend to pack important stuff in exped drybags. You could zip the ICU up too, but I wouldn't expect to walk all day in west coast rain and it stay dry.

Dual ice axe loops plus side compression straps which are adequate for a Gitzo 3-series.

Downsides - very expensive, uncertain delivery time. I bought an end-of-line model which brought the cost down significantly to pricey rather than ludicrous.

Generally over-designed - unlike alpine sacs which have generally gone minimalist this thing is covered in straps, zips and internal storage pockets. I guess this is what appeals to the bells-and-whistles photography crowd but I'm tempted to take a hot knife to it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...