UKC

Aid climbing beta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ROSP 15 Nov 2016
Hi,

Could anyone give me any beta on 'The Very Old and the Very New' C2+ in the slate quarries?

Cheers, any info would be much appreciated!

Ross
 petegunn 18 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Have read that some gear is quite thin and may fail a few times before holding. Take lots of rps and a couple of cam hooks for the flake holds.
ROSP 19 Nov 2016
In reply to petegunn:

Cheers for the advice! Went and had ago today - fairly easy until the top, there's a pod surrounded by blankness that's too thin for a cam hook which shut me down, no idea how the hell to get passed that without using a knife blade!
 Toerag 21 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:
> no idea how the hell to get passed that without using a knife blade!

Ball-nut? Opposed micros(!)?. Do hand placed pegs count as 'clean'?
Post edited at 11:02
 Ian Parsons 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Toerag:
With an advertised size range of 3mm to 6mm, I doubt that even the smallest Ball Nut will fit in a crack for which a 3mm camhook is too fat. While Ball Nuts are clearly very useful for more normal blade and upwards crack sizes, knifeblade cracks - ie down to about 1mm - are just too thin.

To the OP: Crack'n'Ups?
Post edited at 12:34
ROSP 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Cheers for the advice. I was thinking a similar thing - using a beak or a filled down DMM #00 micro wire!
 jkarran 21 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

A small beak has got to be both smaller and stronger than a #00 brass nut even before you file it plus it'll cam in anything but a straight up-down feature. Also a damnsight easier to get back out if it's a constriction back within the crack/pod you end up hooking.
jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...