UKC

Go Pro scratch on lense!!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Mayfield 16 Nov 2016
Has anyone found someone to take off the scratch on the main lense!

Yes I am a tit and didn't keep it in a case!

Yes I feel stupid and yes it might be cheaper to just buy a new one!

I watched a youtube vid about doing it, but has anyone tried it and it worked?

Ta muchly Sam
 The Lemming 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

Daft question, but does the scratch affect the image quality?

I only ask as I read many articles that state a couple of scratches on a lens should not affect the image at all. I am not sure if these sites are talking bollox or accurate and you are in an unfortunate position to dispel any myths.

Other than that, I feel your pain and guess that it would be cheaper to replace the gopro and sell your camera on flebay for spairs.

OP Sam Mayfield 16 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

yes the centre of the image/vid is all blurred!

arghhh!!!
 The Lemming 16 Nov 2016

I feel your pain.

Can't be of any more help, sorry.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Nov 2016
Not much use this time around but my 1st purchase for any new camera/lens is a uv filter to fit over the front of it - MUCH cheaper than a new camera/lens, (always assuming Go Pro will take a filter)

Chris
Post edited at 08:52
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Rich went ape at me for keeping it in my handbag and not in the case it comes with! hate it when he is right! I just though the bulbus lense was a cover! Expensive mistake!

Regards to you both Sam xxx
 Dave B 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

It won't take a filter sensibly. It will take a case.. and then it will be waterproof too... :-/

djb
 malk 16 Nov 2016

replacement lenses for gopro are v cheap..
 Dave B 16 Nov 2016

It looks like its about £150 to get it repaired in the UK. not much help to you, but I'd imagine its a similar price abroad.
 The Lemming 16 Nov 2016

If you buy another GoPro, rather that some of the excellent clones, then you can buy some very good lens caps off ebay.
 Dave B 16 Nov 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

My clone won't record for more than 15 minutes without corrupting all the files. Grrr

I think I'll stick to a top brand rather than excelvan next time.
In reply to malk:

where? Cheap?

Ta
 PM 16 Nov 2016

Hi Sam, that sounds a bit frustrating!

Not sure which model you have but for some of them it's possible to replace the lens. http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/accessories-2/lens-replacement-kit-for-standard-...

(Might have more luck googling for lens rather than lense too.)
 Dave B 16 Nov 2016
In reply to PM:

I had assumed it was the camera lens, not the housing lens... Can Sam confirm?
 malk 16 Nov 2016

lots on ebay/amazon eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE%C2%AE-Degrees-Replacement-Silver-OS204/dp...
looks easy to replace
In reply to malk:

its that in the photo! Might be worth a shot on a dry none dusty day!
Thanks for the link Malk.
Sam
 robhorton 17 Nov 2016

Bit of a long shot but you could try drawing over the scratch with a black marker. The idea is that light arriving at each part of the lens goes to each part of the actual image so if you block out part of the lens you're reducing the light to the whole image rather than creating a bit of shadow. As I said, it is a long shot but worth a try if it's a bin job otherwise.
 ShortLock 17 Nov 2016

I take it it's too severe a scratch to try buffing out? You'd risk ruining the entire lens but if it's rubbished anyway you could try finer and finer grades of a polish paper.
 Mr Lopez 17 Nov 2016

Those lenses in Malk's link are very bad quality. Not worth the effort to change them. A 'proper' lens will set you back close to 100 quid.

If you want to go that way, the best thing to do is to buy a non-working gopro with a lens in good nick (search ebay for 'spares' or 'repair' gopros) and take out the lens. Advantage of that is that you get to break apart the non-working camera before you do so with the good one, so you get to practice without risking yours.

Check the compatibility of lenses across models before buying though.

Good luck
 PM 17 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave B:

Aah yeah, see what you mean. Sounds from later posts that might still be able to get a replacement bit for the lens proper.

JJL 17 Nov 2016

I got one of these and couldn't be happier:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PW1R5QO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s0...

Sounds like cheaper than a GoPro lens replacement.
OP Sam Mayfield 18 Nov 2016
In reply to JJL:

We also have a none gopro camera and the quality does not come anywhere close!

I might try the cheap lens and see what it looks like and then maybe try a broken one!

Or look at my house insurance and see if I am covered for being daft!

Sam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...