UKC

PHD Sleeping Bag Drishell vs. M1 vs. Mx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
thinkpurple 16 Nov 2016
Hello altogether,
I am looking into getting a Design-Your-Own-bag from PHD. Lots of choices to be made...
I would love to hear about your experiences/opinions about certain options:

1. M1 vs Drishell outer fabric: How about 1.1 breathability, 1.2 water-resistance, 1.3 durance, 1.4 pack size?

2. Mx vs M1 inner fabric: 2.1 Does either of them feel nicer? 2.2 Is Mx significantly less durable?

3. Would you opt for a mummy hood? It adds some extra weight and I wonder if a beanie would also do the job when I have a collar.

Thanks a lot for your advice!!
 SenzuBean 16 Nov 2016
In reply to thinkpurple:

I've got an M1 outer. Breathes great. Not water resistant at all (touch the bag to the tent where water has condensed and it'll wet straight away).

My bag has MX as the inner. It's fine, and no problems so far with durability (no rips or tears) after a few years (I do always sleep either in a liner, or inside a 1-season synthetic that goes inside, so that's probably why). However feathers do sometimes poke out - I suspect that's easier with the thinner fabric, but it's not a major and I just pull them back in.

I have the Mummy hood, and frankly when it gets cold there's nothing more I like to do than to cinch the hood down to a biscuit sized hole for my nose to poke out of and withdraw into the bag. I suspect on the coldest nights you'd be wishing you had a mummy hood as well. My experience is that it's not 'coverage' that keeps you warm, but air-tightness. The less places there are for your warm body air to escape, the better.
 Dr.S at work 16 Nov 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I've got a 300, with Drishell outer and Mx inner, I'd agree the mx is a bit thin or at least not really downproof.

The drishell is good, copes with minor tent spills, no breathability issues.

ModerateMatt 16 Nov 2016
In reply to thinkpurple:
I have a Hispar 500 which has a Drishell outer and a MX inner, both work well. I particularly like the water resistance as i'm tall and often rub the bottom of the tent with my sleeping bag in the night.

What are you using it for?

Which fabric is best is subjective, if you need something more durable and totally windproof and quite water resistant Drishell is good if you need something very light MX is good. For a balance of durability, light damp and down resistance Ultrashell is probably the best.

The mummy hood is a bit more form fitting so is a bit warmer, it depends if you value lightness over warmth like for hill running or if your are spending a week in a freezing alpine hut maybe its worth it.

If you can avoid the custom stuff, PHD's standard stuff is still pretty customisable and usually a decent bit cheaper and they still have a varied selection.
Post edited at 20:37
thinkpurple 17 Nov 2016
Thank you so much for the brilliant advice!!

Since I have been having issues with condensation in my tent, I will consider opting for something a little more waterproof than the M1.

I want to use the bag mainly for trekking tours in the Alps and Northern Europe for nights up to -5°C, not colder.

Also thanks a lot for the advice about the standard bags. I will have a look into it

ModerateMatt 17 Nov 2016
In reply to thinkpurple:

Something like the Minim 400 would probably work quite well. You can select the fabric, width and length without going totally custom. The difference between M1 and Ultrashell is only 40g, it's probably worth it for most people if you are not pushing your limit and need superlight kit.

If you want any further advice call PHD they are super helpful.
 Damo 19 Nov 2016
In reply to thinkpurple:

I also have a Minim 400 and pretty sure it's M1 outer. I'd agree it's not very water resistant but breathability and endurance is fine.

I hesitated to use it for some years, as it's so light and I didn't want to wear it too much or damage it (I have several other -20 to -40C bags) but in recent years have used it on a few Himalayan trips and weekend trips where I want a small pack and it's held up surprisingly well for such a light bag. I really like the simplicity of it and small pack size.

I've used mine down to around -10C and was cold, so I consider it bottoms out around -5C now, which iirc is about the recommended limit. Some may find it not warm enough even at -5C though, from experience.

Definitely go for the mummy hood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...