UKC

Allergic reaction to rock shoe material/dyes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liamhutch89 18 Nov 2016
For about a month I've had a rash on the inside and outside edges of my feet from the end of the toe to about half way down the foot and also across the top of the toes from the knuckle to the toe nail.

It came on pretty fast, potentially overnight, but maybe I never noticed it at a milder stage and has remained the same since (about one month). I have never had athletes foot and have no know allergies.

We had a topical steroid cream in the house with an antifungal which mildly reduces the inflammation but has not cured it and I have climbed with thin socks on since, but the rash still persists.

My GP doesn't think it's athletes foot, she suggested contact dermatitis and I have been referred for a patch test which will take some time. She said it could be due to a material, dye or chemical in my rock shoes, which could also penetrate through socks.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had a similar problem and found a way around it. My shoes are sportiva skwama's which I wore for a couple of months before the problem began. Perhaps as they have worn, a glue or dye has been able to come into contact with my feet. I'm in the market for new shoes and without this issue I would have the same shoes again but I am unsure if this particular shoe is causing problems or if it is a problem I will have in all shoes
 Hat Dude 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

This happened to me about 15 years ago with a pair of Scarpa shoes (forget the model, no longer made but they were pink unlined leather)

Like you, I'd worn them for a few months before it happened, I didn't go to a doctor, just stopped wearing the shoes which are still in a cupboard somewhere at home.

I've never had a problem with any other shoes before or since.
OP Liamhutch89 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Thanks, that is encouraging. Now to decide whether I need to switch brands or just the model! I do love sportivas
 SouthernSteve 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Has it got better when not wearing the shoes for a week or so?
 BusyLizzie 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

I had this - it took me a while to work out that it was my rock shoes, but the rash more or less followed the shape of the shoes and stopped when I stopped wearing them. They were bright red. (I mean the shoes were, but so were my feet). My shoes are now yellow and I get yellow feet but no rash.
OP Liamhutch89 18 Nov 2016
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I haven't taken more than 2 days off since it first occurred. Perhaps not the best of ideas...

In case you're wondering if it could be anything else I've thought about this and really can't think of any other explanation
 SouthernSteve 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Liamhutch89:

I would try a week off and see what happens. Have you got some old shoes you could wear for a bit.
OP Liamhutch89 19 Nov 2016
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I haven't, I wear my shoes until they have gone through and then buy a new pair. I'm looking at the futuras as a replacement for the skwama's so I will see how that goes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...