UKC

Recommend ski touring kit for 11yr old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 19 Nov 2016
My 11yr old (35kg 148cm) wants to start (some limited) ski touring.
I know very little about the kit
Need recommendations for boots, skis and bindings- we already think pin bindings are probably not the way forward
Bindings, ideally something that will grow with him
Thanks in advance
John
 kevin stephens 19 Nov 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

BCA Alpine trekkers which allow normal skis, bindings and boots to be used for limited touring, not the most efficient but simple and low cost for a taster/introduction
OP John Kelly 19 Nov 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:
Thanks Kevin

Not seen those before, interesting but not sure I would get away with anything less than full spec bindings, he has spent a lot of time in the hills and is pretty handy on downhill stuff, I looked at Fritsch scout, apparently good for smaller folk.
Looking for full spec kit for smaller person which will ideally allow for growth, guess my concern is the binding will respond appropriately with 35kg loading
Thanks
John
Post edited at 21:50
 Doug 20 Nov 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

Does 'pin bindings' mean he's skied on nordic gear? if yes, what about trying cable bindings ? Assuming you can get plastic telemark boots to fit, he'll be able to ski most easier tours.
OP John Kelly 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Doug:

Only downhill skiing so far for either of us
cable binding!! oh no another option to consider, this is not getting any easier
all helpful stuff will swot up on cable bindings
cheers John
 girlymonkey 20 Nov 2016
In reply to John Kelly:
I ski these and get on well with them. I am not quite as light as your 11 year old, but still pretty small.

http://marker.net/products/bindings/tour-f10.html
Post edited at 09:18
 daWalt 20 Nov 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

I saw this a while ago; the description made me laugh:
http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&c...

I would suggest any of the lighter-weight frame binding e.g. Fritschi eagle; these generally come in 2 or 3 sizes - even the small size will accommodate a reasonable boot-length range. and a couple of changes in boot size.
you'll need to get an idea of how shoe size translates to mondo size and boot-sole length.
the light weight stuff will be fine (without obsessing over weight).

for skis: any lighter-weight narrow (relatively) ski should be ok.
again don;t obsess over weight - and don't think that you need >90mm width.
(any discussion over fatty skis really should rest on how much deep powder are you really going to ski)

boots - whatever is cheap and functional.
an 11 yo'ds feet arn't going to stay the same size for very long........
(but I'm sure you already knew that)

have you tried hiring ski touring kit already?
you might be able to get away with hiring boots for a wee bit
In reply to girlymonkey:

We have had these recommended before and spec says good for 30kg - 110kg so definatly a contender, thanks John
In reply to daWalt:

Description sounds just about right, tiger by the tail
 girlymonkey 20 Nov 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

The nice thing with them is that they feel exactly like a DH binding. The transfer between walk and ski mode is a little more awkward than some others, but it's not too bad.

The other bit of kit that I am really happy with are my skins. I have Gecko skins, and they never need glued. They are more tolerant of slightly rougher treatment than the more traditional skins.
OP John Kelly 21 Nov 2016
In reply to AG:
Thanks look great
John

Post edited at 18:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...