UKC

Dry crags in rain at Margalef?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Charlie Low 20 Nov 2016
In Margalef this week and the forecast for the next 3 days is pretty awful...are there any crags that stay dry in the rain, particularly with any 6's on? I know it's probably a bit of a long shot!

Alternatively are there any places nearby that are a better bet or likely to be dry if it's wet in Margalef?

Thanks!
 zv 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Charlie Low:

Never climbed on this crag in Margalef, however I heard it stays dry in the rain as it's a cave (seen it from across the road on the El Laboratori).

Cova Soleiada - you have 3 routes in sixes - 6c, 6b, 6b+.

I am sure there are plenty of things which stay dry - best bet is asking Viscent who works in the Refugi, he'll surely point you in the right direction.

I remember doing two nice routes in the 6s at Cingles de Moli in a light rain. - Segallosa - 6a, absolute jug fest, which is a gently overhanging so stays dry, top 2 clips are slabby however you're on monster jugs and it's ok even in the wet.

6b that shares the same anchor - similar story, steep first bit, juggy arete finish.

The steep right hand side of Espadelles might be perma dry - there are several 6bs and 6b+s (steep start...then OK to the top), however only been there in outstandingly sunny conditions, so best to check with the locals.
 Dandan 20 Nov 2016
In reply to Charlie Low:

The 6b and 6b+ aren't in the sheltered part of cova soleiada, leaving only the 6c which is polished to high heaven with the crux at the bottom! It's a great sheltered crag if you climb in the 8's, not so much the 6's though.
I guess just check wind direction and find something not facing the wind and hope for some good luck?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...