UKC

Wierd reaction to cold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 21 Nov 2016

I was out running on the local hills yesterday. My feet got pretty cold from icy puddles and snow on the ground. We had a long section of fresh snow that made my ankles and the front of my leg just above the top of my fell shoe feel pretty cold.

I got home and had a shower and my feet soon felt fine, but the front of my leg was numb, had quite distinct inflamed horizontal ridges and itched like mad. These went after an hour or so in a warm house.

I can understand the numbness and the itching, but these ridges of inflammation were wierd. Anyone experienced this? Any explanations?
Post edited at 10:22
 lummox 21 Nov 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Experienced the same after being out for long jogs/mtb rides in similar conditions. No explanation but it's annoying isn't it ?
 steveriley 21 Nov 2016

Yes! I've had it post-holing through deeper snow too and assumed that was more a mechanical thing.
 lummox 21 Nov 2016

Btw, were you wearing 3/4 or shorts ? Think that has been the case when I've experienced this before.
OP The New NickB 21 Nov 2016
In reply to lummox:

> Btw, were you wearing 3/4 or shorts ? Think that has been the case when I've experienced this before.

No tights. Although the effected area may have been partially exposed skin.
 1poundSOCKS 21 Nov 2016

> I can understand the numbness and the itching

I suppose the numbness is obvious, but what's the itching about? I sometimes feel itchy when running in the cold. Thanks.
 DaveHK 21 Nov 2016

Chilblains?
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I suppose the numbness is obvious, but what's the itching about? I sometimes feel itchy when running in the cold. Thanks.

The skin warming back up and the feeling returning. I guess hot aches is an extreme example.
In reply to DaveHK:

> Chilblains?

Some similarities I guess, but much more temporary.
 1poundSOCKS 21 Nov 2016

> The skin warming back up and the feeling returning. I guess hot aches is an extreme example.

Thanks. Only had hot aches a couple of times, but very painful. I thought pain and other sensation, like touch, were separate things, not just one a more extreme example of the other. Wasn't sure where itching fit in to that picture.
 The Potato 21 Nov 2016

yeah sounds like it, itching is as the blood returns to that area and it expands again. Usually happens when you go from a cold place to a warm place again e.g shower.
 La benya 21 Nov 2016

> I got home and had a shower and my feet soon felt fine, but the front of my leg was numb, had quite distinct inflamed horizontal ridges and itched like mad. These went after an hour or so in a warm house.

You weren't wearing tube socks were you? Could just be the elastic ridges in them cutting into the skin slightly as the cold and wet make your ankles swell.
In reply to La benya:

> You weren't wearing tube socks were you? Could just be the elastic ridges in them cutting into the skin slightly as the cold and wet make your ankles swell.

No, plus it was above the sockline.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...