UKC

SSki touring boots at climbing walls?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 22 Nov 2016
Before heading to the alps with my new ski touring boots I would like to get a feel for their technical climbing ability. Would it be acceptable/permitted to use them on a top rope or auto belay at a climbing wall?
pete82 22 Nov 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

I don't mean to state the obvious ... but why don't you ask at the climbing wall?
In reply to pete82:
To state the obvious, because I'm bored working away from home and interested in peoples views. Also there may be more chance of getting away with it if I don't phone up and ask in advance
 Hyphin 23 Nov 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

Obviously going to be up to the wall in question. Main issue with climbing in normal outdoor shoes is contaminating holds with whatever you so happen have stepped in all day, this then gets on folks hands, in cuts/grazes, in mouths and etc. If I was floor walking, and the place wasn't too busy, I'd probably think it was quite amusing and let you away with a couple routes. Could be issues with you damaging holds, wouldn't want you connecting with anybody on way down on autobelay, and wouldn't want it to become "a thing". Sure someone will be along soon to point out it would be incredibly irresponsible and dangerous, followed closely by someone pointing out that that's what climbing's meant to be.
 deacondeacon 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Hyphin:

> Main issue with climbing in normal outdoor shoes is contaminating holds with whatever you so happen have stepped in all day, this then gets on folks hands, in cuts/grazes, in mouths and etc.

Really? Beginners are always climbing in their outdoor shoes and my climbing shoes are 'outdoor shoes'. I keep the soles clean but I'm sure they have plenty of germs on them (well they defo stink) and others defo don't keep them clean.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...