UKC

Richard McElligott RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Richard McElligott, UKC user RichardMc, died a few days ago. He had been suffering from brain cancer for some time. His recent posts http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na... touch on this subject with a marked absence of self-pity (and a touching degeneration in orthography).

Richard will not have been personally known to many on here because he moved to Dunedin some years ago when his marriage broke down. Prior to that, however, he was a great stalwart of the London Mountaineering Club; one of those who devote endless hours to administration to permit the enjoyment of others, usually underappreciated and unsung. He especially loved the LMC's hut Fronwydyr above Nant Peris.

He was a steady and dependable climber at about E2, and a cheerful and dependable partner at all times on the crag or the hill. I remember particularly a fruitless and frustrating afternoon spent, at my suggestion, first trying to find Gideon (and failing even to access the correct quarry), and then trying to find Harris' Arete (again my project), and failing I suspect to locate even the correct mountainside although falling into a good many heather-covered holes. Not many would have remained so good-tempered. But also doing Falcon while it snowed, plummeting into the boulders after a hold snapped on Oxtail Soup on Lundy and struggling up the back of the zawn with his assistance, Richard's unvarying routine at the old Mile End, his thirty-foot fall off Regent Street and his rueful accounts of it, the two of us being doused by the sea at the bottom of Chair Ladder - the typical ups and downs of days out on the British crags, in fact. I should also mention his successful campaign to climb 60 E points in his sixtieth year (something which seems a greater feat to me now than it did then, especially when hampered by some fiercely restrictive ethical rules), and his habit of 'saving' routes until he could do them properly. He'll never do Right Wall now, alas, but he enjoyed the dream.

RIP, Richard, and thanks for the memories.

jcm
 Ridge 23 Nov 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Sorry for your loss. From your tribute he was quite a character.
 Duncan Bourne 23 Nov 2016

A fine tribute. My condolencies
 marsbar 23 Nov 2016

Sorry to hear this.
 Skyfall 23 Nov 2016

Sorry to hear that; sounds like a great climbing partner and friend.
 Mike Highbury 23 Nov 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Thank you for starting this thread, John, and my condolences to his family.

I find too frequently that my recollections about others are far too much about me so just one. Richard taught me a fundamental thing about climbing when on a sea cliff in Cornwall. I must repeat it in similar circumstances one day but fear that it'll sound far less supportive than when he said it to me.
 Tony & Sarah 23 Nov 2016

Very sorry to hear the news. We count ourselves lucky to have had some great times with him, both in the mountains & one particular evening at the Mile End wall. So long old friend.
Tony & Sarah

So sorry to hear this. I was a member of the LMC in the 1970s, and remember Richard Mc very well as being one of the central characters of the club, if not the lynchpin. He was always very friendly, enthusiastic and encouraging. Although he was a better climber than myself, I think I may have climbed with him on a couple of occasions (I will have to look in my logbook), but I was certainly on meets with him many times, at Fronwdyr, the Peak and Cornwall. One of those people one can remember now almost as if it was yesterday that one last saw him.

My heartfelt condolences.
 Offwidth 23 Nov 2016

Lovely post John... thanks and condolences to family and friends.
 MrJared 23 Nov 2016

Lovely message. My dad use to climb with Richard, and I remember meeting him at a LMC Christmas Meet many years ago.

I will pass the news on.

Jared
 Chris_Mellor 23 Nov 2016

Ah, Fronwydyr and the freezing water supply in winter; and its loft; a great place and the LMC was for me (and most likely still is) a great club. Fine tribute to an all-round decent guy.
 Rick Ashton 24 Nov 2016

Very sad to hear this. Richard took me out on my first ever trad climbs when I started climbing with LMC.

RIP,

Rick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...